Should be Cowser time today - but not expecting it

HelenaEngineer

I think it unfair to Cowser to bring him up to replace McKenna.   McKenna had 19 PA in June and that was with Mullins on the IL.   Who are you going to sit to get Cowser At Bats?  Mullins?  Hays? Santander?  Hicks?    There is just not enough at bats to give Cowser a decent chance to be successful.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it unfair to Cowser to bring him up to replace McKenna.   McKenna had 19 PA in June and that was with Mullins on the IL.   Who are you going to sit to get Cowser At Bats?  Mullins?  Hays? Santander?  Hicks?    There is just not enough at bats to give Cowser a decent chance to be successful.

Not trying to use this as an excuse to bring up Cowser, but Hicks is kinda reverting back to what he is. I still like Hicks as a 4th OF'er in Baltimore for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

First, how healthy is Hays? Cowser could have played last night. Next, you listed four guys. Give each of them one day off a week, that's Cowser getting four starts out of seven days. That's not too bad. Hicks isn't tearing the cover off of the ball anymore; maybe Cowser gets another one of his starts. 

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Not trying to use this as an excuse to bring up Cowser, but Hicks is kinda reverting back to what he is. I still like Hicks as a 4th OF'er in Baltimore for the rest of the season.

I see what you are saying but that is 35 at bats over the last 15 days.   Is that really enough to make a move ?  He is hitting for an 824 OPS in the last 30 days.

30 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They should at some point bring up the rookies. If not for this season, next. I'm not giving up hope on 23 yet, but the team has been fairly pedestrian over the last 36 games. 

No need to give up on '23.

AL East Last 20 games: Rays 10-10 Orioles 11-9 Yankees 9-11 Blue Jays 9-11 Red Sox 11-9

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They should at some point bring up the rookies. If not for this season, next. I'm not giving up hope on 23 yet, but the team has been fairly pedestrian over the last 36 games. 

No need to give up on '23.

AL East Last 20 games: Rays 10-10 Orioles 11-9 Yankees 9-11 Blue Jays 9-11 Red Sox 11-9

17 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

Also Yankee Stadium 4 days a great park for lefties - rest Hays through Allstar - he is D2D with only 7 games to go before the break makes no sense not to bring him CC up. Also wait until you see todays lineup with Frazier in LF!

When you decision is to rest an all star outfielder because it is Yankee stadium for a guy with no major league experience and has struggled at every level at the beginning your not thinking logically.   If Hays is ready to play he should play…

12 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

First, how healthy is Hays? Cowser could have played last night. Next, you listed four guys. Give each of them one day off a week, that's Cowser getting four starts out of seven days. That's not too bad. Hicks isn't tearing the cover off of the ball anymore; maybe Cowser gets another one of his starts. 

Hays is day to day.  They are not IL him for 10 days unless that really have to right before he goes to the All Star games.  If he is out 2 or 3 days it is what it is.

Those 4 guys already don't play all the time because Adley DHs.  

The biggest problem with offense is in the infield with Frazier and Mateo.  And with Gunnar, O'Hearn  and Urias not hitting lefties.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

He can only play SS with any degree of certainty. I'm not saying release him for nothing, but the occasional steal doesn't offset how bad he's been at the plate. I'm afraid the only way that they won't put him in the lineup is if he's not on the team.

He looked fine at 2B when the O's first acquired him, and he has played some OF. I have no doubt he could hold his own enough to be a backup at any position other than C. If we have enough everyday starts (vs both RHP and LHP) he would be worth a roster spot just to pinch run and backup SS.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We don’t owe McKenna anything and he’s the least talented of the group. Mckenn’s calling card is that he can play CF. Well now we don’t need that. Hicks can play CF too. So can Cowser. 

Mckenna has been up/down each year since his call Up. Why not this year?

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

McKenna only plays against lefties or as a late defensive sub, and the Orioles have seen very few lefties lately. Ortiz had the same issue. Cowser would primarily play against righties and could take at bats from a group of players including Hicks, who is 4 for his last 31, Hays and Mullins if they need a day off. O'Hearn if you want to play Santander at 1B and Santander if he needs a day off. You could also have Santander at DH and give Adley a full day off, when he doesn't DH, more often. 

Although the Orioles are my team, I do live in Atlanta and follow the Braves as my National League team. Whenever they have a player in the minors that they think can help the major league team win games, they bring them up and cut them loose. It is quite refreshing. You can't tell me that having Cowser in RF last night instead of Frazier, regardless of whether you used Frazier to replace Mateo or Urias or on the bench, would not have been a better lineup offensively and defensively - and the same thing will hold the rest of this week. When you are a contender and not in rebuild mode, there comes a time to put the best players on the field if you are serious about trying to win.

Elias could get creative at the deadline and buy/sell to fit our team needs. Something like, 

Call up Cowser and Ortiz

Trade Hicks and Mateo for the best prospect package

NBA style bad contract swap. Givens + prospect for Jorge Lopez. 

Trade for a rental SP. Someone like Giolito or Montgomery. 

1 minute ago, HelenaEngineer said:

McKenna only plays against lefties or as a late defensive sub, and the Orioles have seen very few lefties lately. Ortiz had the same issue. Cowser would primarily play against righties and could take at bats from a group of players including Hicks, who is 4 for his last 31, Hays and Mullins if they need a day off. O'Hearn if you want to play Santander at 1B and Santander if he needs a day off. You could also have Santander at DH and give Adley a full day off, when he doesn't DH, more often. 

Although the Orioles are my team, I do live in Atlanta and follow the Braves as my National League team. Whenever they have a player in the minors that they think can help the major league team win games, they bring them up and cut them loose. It is quite refreshing. You can't tell me that having Cowser in RF last night instead of Frazier, regardless of whether you used Frazier to replace Mateo or Urias or on the bench, would not have been a better lineup offensively and defensively - and the same thing will hold the rest of this week. When you are a contender and not in rebuild mode, there comes a time to put the best players on the field if you are serious about trying to win.

Again, if Hays is out just a day or two, you don't make that move to put out an admittedly better lineup just for one game. We're not going to DFA Stowers or Vavra to bring Cowser up for 1-2 games.