Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

As many solid hitting prospects as we keep throwing out there, one of them is bound to become an elite hitter. Who knows if it’s any of the current 4, but eventually we’re gonna land on an elite bat. 

I agree with this, I'd honestly rather they give them tons of play time and if the record keeps plummeting, so be  it, let these kids get accustomed to hitting and playing up here to pay real dividends next year.

• Upvote 1

It was a long overdue promotion for CC but I am really encouraged by the move.  It’s only one game but CC and JW with the current roster construction improve this team so much. It showed tonight. 

The baby birds may well be on the verge of being scary good. Cowser, Adley, Gunnar and JW are just the beginning. 

20 hours ago, 86this said:

By now you know he's been assigned #17.  I think anything below 59 is a keeper with the exception of Cano wearing #78.  Although we have seen where players ride out the current year and get assigned a lower number the next.

Tyler Wells, 68.  But he was a Rule 5 guy and he's 6'8".  So own it.

15 hours ago, banks703 said:

It was a long overdue promotion for CC but I am really encouraged by the move.  It’s only one game but CC and JW with the current roster construction improve this team so much. It showed tonight. 

Personally, I don’t think Cowser’s call-up was long overdue.  His first minor league game was August 2, 2021.   Less than two years from there to the majors.   He’s the third position player in his class to make the majors, the other two being Henry Davis and Matt McLain.  I feel he earned his promotion and while it couid have happened a few weeks ago, “long overdue” is an exaggeration IMO.  

The promotion of Westburg, on the other hand, was long overdue.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I expected Cowser to struggle as he has at nearly every level initially.  Fangraphs pointed out today that "...Cowser has hit just .122/.302/.146 through his first 53 PA and has yet to barrel a single ball."  Longenhagen has never really liked him that much.  Thinks not enough power and strikes out too much.   But it is interesting that he hasn't barreled a single ball.  Of note, Westburg has only barreled one ball.  Gunnar has 24 barrels.  Ohtani has 53.

The 2023 Replacement-Level Killers: Left Field and Right Field | FanGraphs Baseball

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

I expected Cowser to struggle as he has at nearly every level initially.  Fangraphs pointed out today that "...Cowser has hit just .122/.302/.146 through his first 53 PA and has yet to barrel a single ball."  Longenhagen has never really liked him that much.  Thinks not enough power and strikes out too much.   But it is interesting that he hasn't barreled a single ball.  Of note, Westburg has only barreled one ball.  Gunnar has 24 barrels.  Ohtani has 53.

The 2023 Replacement-Level Killers: Left Field and Right Field | FanGraphs Baseball

Santander has 30 and Mountcastle has 29.

• Upvote 1