Changes coming to the O's

Fan4Life

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

There’s plenty of people in the bullpen who could be optioned. Then move Irvin to the bullpen or go with a 6 man rotation. 

This.

I don't think we've examined the possibility of a 6-man rotation enough.  That will probably get trimmed to 5 fairly quickly with injury/ineffectiveness, but temporarily allows a little better management of innings for the young arms.

There are multiple candidates for demotion/DFA in the bullpen which has had a shocking can/cannot divison in 2023.  Specifically,

Bautista, Cano, Baumann, Coulombe, and Baker have combined for a 2.60 ERA and all are at 103 or better ERA+

The Others who have pitched for the O's this year but are not among the current starters have combined for a 5.68 ERA.  They are a collection of 4A pitchers who have been pretty well sifted through for value:  Voth, Perez, Akin (1 start), Zimmerman, Gillaspie, Vespi, Givens, Hall, Garrett, McKenna*, Lester*, Bazardo, Vallimont.  Of those, I don't think there is a true 2023 difference maker waiting to emerge, but I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by Filmstudy

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Pretty well laid out. If the intention is to return Mountcastle to the MLB roster and not option him, I’m not really sure who they move.  I would think it has to be a Mateo trade or DFA. O’Hearn isn’t going anywhere and either is Hicks.

You have to bring Rodriguez up and remove Irvin from the rotation even though he’s pitched so well as of late. I am sure we will need again at some point in the second half. 

I think we may see Mateo dealt at the break. 

7 hours ago, waroriole said:

There’s plenty of people in the bullpen who could be optioned. Then move Irvin to the bullpen or go with a 6 man rotation. 

Ideally Irvin should be in the bullpen.  He seems like he would be a good option as a long man, so Hyde can stop using 5 or 6 relievers when the O's are down 7-0 in the 3rd.  Not that it happens that often, but it drives me crazy when Hyde uses 80% of the bullpen in a game the O's have no chance of winning.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He had 9 ground outs and 3 fly balls. I guess he didn’t get the memo that he’s only a fly ball pitcher. My point was Irvin relies on his defense. So Mateo was playing last night because of that. It was a good spot of Hyde to get him in, if he is only going to start 2-3 times a week. 

At this point he should be starting maybe once per week at most. 

6 hours ago, banks703 said:

….I think the O’s have the luxury of going with the hot hand just about everywhere. If Gibson continues to get mauled then it may make more sense to plug GrayRod into his turn in the rotation to give him a break. “Tired Arm” is an ILable thing. 

Gibson needs to go. Period. He’s the weak link and a trip to the IL won’t change that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I just don’t see who you drop for Mountcastle right now barring an injury. All the guys you would theoretically drop are playing pretty well. If you drop Mateo, you’ve lost speed and defense at a key position. I’m sure we’d all love to see Frazier gone, but that’s just not happening.

I sort of feel like Frazier has played himself into a position where he'd actually have some value in trade? You know, some team looking for veteranosity?

Who's got a big hole at 2b that's in the playoff hunt?

Hyde was asked in the post game about how the 6 run inning happened.   His reply was that the lineup has a bunch of guys that can handle the strike zone and will to take a walk.

That is an anti-Mountcastle comment.  His approach is just not geared that way.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde was asked in the post game about how the 6 run inning happened.   His reply was that the lineup has a bunch of guys that can handle the strike zone and will to take a walk.

That is an anti-Mountcastle comment.  His approach is just not geared that way.

I think folks are actually delusional at this point.

Hyde was talking up his guys that did well in the game today.

Do you think Hyde is standing there hoping for this question so he can go "Yes!  I get a chance to dump on Mouncastle!!"