So who are the sellers right now?

Jagwar

50 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yes, Frazier, Mateo for certain

I don't think Frazier will be traded. Hope Mateo is. Then one of Ortiz or Urias is traded IMO. Last week, I thought it'd be Ortiz but if Mountcastle stays up, I think it's Urias and we bring Ortiz up. By Aug 1, I think 2 of Ortiz, Urias and Mateo are gone.

15 hours ago, crawjo said:

Teams that don't sell because they have a marginal shot at a wild card will regret it later. It will be a sellers market and there are plenty of good prospects to be had. 

This is one reason why I hate the wild card and expanded playoffs. It used to be that, in order to win a championship, you needed to put together an excellent, even dominant, 162-game season and then back it up by beating similarly excellent teams in the playoffs. Now you can just #@$% around, get 86 wins, and bs your way to a pennant, like the Phillies did last year. I don't know what the point of a 162-game season is if we are going to let more than a third of the teams in at the end of it. 

For the Orioles, I want a division title or nothing. I'm not interested in wild card lottery tickets. I want to win the toughest division in baseball and then go from there. 

It does put more teams in with the Wild Card and sometimes teams with just 87 wins but that can happen anyway.  This year you could see the Orioles and Rays both win 95+ games while the Twins win the Central with an 81-81 record or worse how would that be fair to which one of us doesn’t win the division.  In the last 3 years we have had 2 teams make the playoffs without winning the division but still winning 100+ games.  The Mets with 101 wins and the Dodgers in 2021 with 106 wins.  If you don’t allow more teams in you are punishing the teams that have tough divisions.  Right now all 5 teams in the AL East are better then any team in the Central.  

On 7/9/2023 at 8:45 AM, Jagwar said:

Who are the sellers this month at the deadline as of right now?

AL East - NONE

AL Central - Tigers, White Sox, Royals

AL West - A's

NL East - Mets, Nationals

NL Central - Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals

NL West - Padres?, Rockies

I didn't include the Mariners or Angels as they are only 4ish games back of the Wild Card. Heck, the Tigers are only 5.5 games back of the Indians in the AL Central. 

Nice breakdown. So these are the possible realistic trade targets I see for each team you listed, given our needs and who/what the other teams might be willing to part with. Verlander, Scherzer and Goldschmidt are in italics because they don't seem very realistic to me unless the Mets/Cards pay a signifcant portion of their salaries. 

Tigers - Possible Targets - E.Rodriguez, A.Lange

White Sox - Possible Targets - Lynn, Giolito, Graveman 

Royals - Barlow

A's - None

Mets - Verlander, Scherzer, Robertson, Ottavino

Nationals - Harvey, Edwards, Jr

Cubs - Stroman, Hendricks, Merryweather

Pirates - None

Cardinals - Hicks, Goldschmidt 

Padres - J.Hader, N.Martinez

Rockies - None

4 hours ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Shouldn't the Orioles be sellers as well?  People usually think of sellers being motivated by trying to trade some aging good veterans for more young high ceiling players who are for the future.

The Orioles may be in a different situation, where they have to painfully clear out some good veteran players or even good young players to get better prospects onto the MLB roster.

No. Unless they completely stumble in the second half the Orioles should be buyers not sellers as they look to bolster their team for a playoff run. I don't seem them dealing the veterans (Santander, Mountcastle, etc.) until the offseason and even then only if they're confident in turning things over to a younger player who they deem ready. 

2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

I don't think Frazier will be traded. Hope Mateo is. Then one of Ortiz or Urias is traded IMO. Last week, I thought it'd be Ortiz but if Mountcastle stays up, I think it's Urias and we bring Ortiz up. By Aug 1, I think 2 of Ortiz, Urias and Mateo are gone.

Urias isn't going anywhere unless we get the deal of the century for him.  

54 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

It does put more teams in with the Wild Card and sometimes teams with just 87 wins but that can happen anyway.  This year you could see the Orioles and Rays both win 95+ games while the Twins win the Central with an 81-81 record or worse how would that be fair to which one of us doesn’t win the division.  In the last 3 years we have had 2 teams make the playoffs without winning the division but still winning 100+ games.  The Mets with 101 wins and the Dodgers in 2021 with 106 wins.  If you don’t allow more teams in you are punishing the teams that have tough divisions.  Right now all 5 teams in the AL East are better then any team in the Central.  

Abolish divisions, fully balanced schedule, take the top 12 teams to the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

No. Unless they completely stumble in the second half the Orioles should be buyers not sellers as they look to bolster their team for a playoff run. I don't seem them dealing the veterans (Santander, Mountcastle, etc.) until the offseason and even then only if they're confident in turning things over to a younger player who they deem ready. 

Thet better have someone better than Colson to replace Santander.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Nice breakdown. So these are the possible realistic trade targets I see for each team you listed, given our needs and who/what the other teams might be willing to part with. Verlander, Scherzer and Goldschmidt are in italics because they don't seem very realistic to me unless the Mets/Cards pay a signifcant portion of their salaries. 

Tigers - Possible Targets - E.Rodriguez, A.Lange

White Sox - Possible Targets - Lynn, Giolito, Graveman 

Royals - Barlow

A's - None

Mets - Verlander, Scherzer, Robertson, Ottavino

Nationals - Harvey, Edwards, Jr

Cubs - Stroman, Hendricks, Merryweather

Pirates - None

Cardinals - Hicks, Goldschmidt 

Padres - J.Hader, N.Martinez

Rockies - None

The Tigers have Michael Lorenzen who could be swing man starter or bullpen guy for giving you innings.  I doubt Lange going anywhere with 4 years of control left.

The Pirates have Mitch Keller who will cost a lot but has 2 years of control left.  

The Cardinals have Montgomery, Jack Flaherty(who is just coming back from Tommy John but has been really good last teo starts, he is free agent season end and guy I would be interested in low cost bounce back deal with high upside)  

Padres have Blake Snell who has top of rotation stuff if they are sellers.

The Rockies have some solid bullpen arms that could help down stretch in Jake Bird and Brent Suter.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

The Tigers have Michael Lorenzen who could be swing man starter or bullpen guy for giving you innings.  I doubt Lange going anywhere with 4 years of control left.

The Pirates have Mitch Keller who will cost a lot but has 2 years of control left.  

The Cardinals have Montgomery, Jack Flaherty(who is just coming back from Tommy John but has been really good last teo starts, he is free agent season end and guy I would be interested in low cost bounce back deal with high upside)  

Padres have Blake Snell who has top of rotation stuff if they are sellers.

The Rockies have some solid bullpen arms that could help down stretch in Jake Bird and Brent Suter.

Good catches (and additions). If we're looking for a one stop shop the Cards seem like the best fit. Maybe target a Hicks/Montgomery combo? It's probably not the blockbuster that a lot of OH folks want to see, but it would be a solid move to bolster our two biggest weaknesses for a postseason run. Then we could explore a longer term pitching fix in the offseaon. I'd personall like to see them throw a lot of money at J. Urias.