Mountcastle back, Zimmermann down

deward

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Bad move. Terrible move if he's not in a strict platoon only starting against LHP.

Have to think this is what they will doing. A position player has to go after the break though unless they actually go with 12 pitchers, which would be my preference.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would have been fine if they had kept him down until he showed more at AA that being said.

1. He isn't some butcher at first base like some contend.  The data doesn't support that claim. 
  2. He isn't a platoon bat, him hitting better VS LHP is a recent thing and SSS.
  3. Elias and company are not going to weigh his performance this season over his career numbers.  His career 1400 AB with an OPS+ of 110 mean more than the 89 OPS+ he put up over 242 AB this season.

You folks are better than this.

*O'Hearn* is a platoon bat and better so far vs RHP than Mountcastle. So that could still argue for platooning Mountcastle more based on OHearn's splits. Mountcastle is on the bench today.

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

If we take O'Hearn's bat out of the line up for Mountcastle we've earned our losses.  He's lost the strike zone.  I think he's washed up.

Yea, it's CRAZY to put in the 26 year old with a career OPS+ of 110 over the 29 year old with a career OPS+ of 90.

That's completely unjustifiable!

Also keep in mind I did say I was fine with not bringing him up right now.  I'm not advocating for him so much as just pointing out how ridiculous you all sound.

• Upvote 1

What does .587 OPS or whatever Mountcastle was hitting in AAA translate to in the majors?  I know a lot of people where worried about the drop off for the O's prospect w/ .900 to 1.000 OPS, but let's not worry about the guy who hasn't been able to hit AAA pitching.  I'll be upset if Mountcastle just goes back to getting the lion's share of the at bats at 1B.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would have been fine if they had kept him down until he showed more at AA that being said.

1. He isn't some butcher at first base like some contend.  The data doesn't support that claim. 
  3. Elias and company are not going to weigh his performance this season over his career numbers.  His career 1400 AB with an OPS+ of 110 mean more than the 89 OPS+ he put up over 242 AB this season.

So who do you want him to see him get playing time over if he’s not in a strict platoon with O’Hearn?

O’Hearn and his .900 OPS to the bench? Urias playing time further reduced?

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some of us aren't better than this.  His defense at 1B is very poor for a former shortstop or at least 3B.  His total lack of patience at the plate costs the O's runs in key situations.  I would be happy if the O's traded him for an average 17 year old Dominican prospect.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

So who do you want him to see him get playing time over if he’s not in a strict platoon with O’Hearn?

O’Hearn and his .900 OPS to the bench? Urias playing time further reduced?

Can't you folks read?

Where did I say I want him getting at bats today?

Go ahead, show me!

Where did I say I'm in favor of him getting called up today?

Go ahead, show me!

What I said is the amount of angst over this move is ridiculous.

Folks are acting like he's the worst player in the league and beyond all hope of ever doing anything useful on the field again.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What does .587 OPS or whatever Mountcastle was hitting in AAA translate to in the majors?  I know a lot of people where worried about the drop off for the O's prospect w/ .900 to 1.000 OPS, but let's not worry about the guy who hasn't been able to hit AAA pitching.  I'll be upset if Mountcastle just goes back to getting the lion's share of the at bats at 1B.

Mountcastle has over 1k ABs in the major leagues. 50 ABs in AAA doesn't mean anything in evaluating him at this point, other than determining that's he's healthy enough to play. It wouldn't mean anything if he OPS'd 1.000 either. He'll be judged on what he does in Baltimore. I imagine he'll have a hard time taking ABs vs RHP away from O'Hearn, as long as O'Hearn keeps hitting as well as he has been. Once O'Hearn starts to fall off, then we'll really see. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't you folks read?

Go ahead, show me!

Go ahead, show me!

Folks are acting like he's the worst player in the league and beyond all hope of ever doing anything useful on the field again.

Even you want to weigh his career vs this year, his numbers have steadily declined every year since his call up.

Add to that his skill set runs contrary to every position player Elias has drafted. He's certainly someone who could start on an MLB team but what everyone here is saying we have better options and a logjam in the infield and he doesnt fit.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Brought up but not in the lineup today is interesting. Feels like the all star break will be a good time for Elias to make a trade. Not sure what he will do but trading a Mountcastle, Frazier or Mateo to open up roster space and bolster the pen would make some sense. 

You can't trade any of those three and get any pitching we don't have already.  We don't need rag arms.  If we want real BP talent on a trade it's going to cost.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't you folks read?

Go ahead, show me!

Go ahead, show me!

The post you responded to did not say anything about you saying RM should be in the lineup today. Point 2 of your post said he should not platoon. If he is back to play, especially in non-platoon role, that likely comes at expense of O'Hearn. So that is a valid question in response to your post.

I agree with you about the angst tone but only because I think RM in bench/platoon role could be an asset. If he plays every day without earning it then I would get increasingly upset, but I have no reason to think that is the case yet.

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

Even you want to weigh his career vs this year, his numbers have steadily declined every year since his call up.

Add to that his skill set runs contrary to every position player Elias has drafted. He's certainly someone who could start on an MLB team but what everyone here is saying we have better options and a logjam in the infield and he doesnt fit.

No.

This is what they are saying.

38 minutes ago, oriole said:

Ugh this is not good. If he’s here then they’re gonna actually play him. 🤮

37 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Why?

36 minutes ago, Getz said:

I can't believe this.

30 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Bad move. Terrible move if he's not in a strict platoon only starting against LHP.

That isn't a nuanced take.  It's silliness.

I can't believe this?  Really?  You can't believe that they would call up the teams OD starting 1B now that he's healthy?  That's an unbelievable situation?

He's probably going to PH and start against LHP as long as O'Hearn does well.  It's not some hugely damaging move that folks are making it out to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

There's a logjam as long as O'Hearn keeps hitting. If he reverts back to career norms, then 1B is wide open.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, it's CRAZY to put in the 26 year old with a career OPS+ of 110 over the 29 year old with a career OPS+ of 90.

That's completely unjustifiable!

Also keep in mind I did say I was fine with not bringing him up right now.  I'm not advocating for him so much as just pointing out how ridiculous you all sound.

History is nice.  Times change.  Players change.  We all know what these two are doing in relation to one another NOW.  Last year's stats won't get you a foul ball.  

• Confused 1

Over the break, Elias either makes a trade or DFAs Mateo. I will be curious to see how RM does now that he's healthy. That said his struggles started before the vertigo (quotes from this morning said he said it started in MIL). Best case is just doing a straight platoon w/ O'Hearn at 1B, that is unless Elias makes a trade. AS can certainly play first. I am not so sure about Urias after the last couple times he's been there. My guess is it's just a simple trade or DFA of Mateo. Although I never thought McKenna would get sent down so who knows w this FO.