Mountcastle back, Zimmermann down

deward

11 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I am surprised at this move since RM hadn't been hitting at AAA but my question is how did we replace a pitcher with a position player when we are supposed to be 13 each? Did they make another move in addition? Is our bench Mateo, Hicks, Urias, Frazier, and RM? Somebody has to be voted off the island, precursor to a trade or IL stint?

After this move, we currently have 25 guys on the active roster.   

You are allowed to have 25 guys, even with the 26 man roster. 

Teams usually try to go with a full 26, but sometimes when teams have to move a bunch of players around over the course of a couple of days, they might leave a slot open briefly for flexibility, and the league is okay with that.  From the MLB Glossary page for the 26 man roster:  Teams are required to have a minimum of 25 players on their 26-man roster.

EDIT:  There are actually 26 guys on the roster.  I noticed that when I first loaded up the roster page, it was only showing one catcher for some reason.  Refreshed the page and McCann popped in like he was supposed to.  Very weird, as the last McCann move was several days ago 😆

Edited by Morgan423

25 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Why do people continually say that Mountcastle can't field.....he's made 2 errors in 403 chances this year, and has a .995 fielding %.  Last year, it was a .994 fielding %.  

If it's because he has scooped up some bad throws, we can't pin that all on him, can we??  Are any of us bad fielders because we can't come up with bad throws once in a while?  It's not like he never scoops one, and honestly, I put those throws on the guys that threw them, not Ryan.  

The sheer hate and vitriol for this guy right now - and the negative comments about him - is an embarrassment to our Fandom.

Hate and vitriol?  That’s a pretty extreme exaggeration. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

If the Orioles are definitely considering dealing Mountcastle at this time, then I think they NEED him to demonstrate that he can still hit lefties well between now and the end of July in order to even get a bid for him from a team that is weak against lefties....which, by many accounts on here, we are.

Serious question here. - who would we rather see in the lineup vs. a LHP out of McCann, McKenna and Mountcastle??  I have to be honest here, Mountcastle even has a better OPS vs. LHP than Adley does.....as in 1.071 vs. LHP.  Last I checked, that's pretty remarkable.

I’m rooting for him for all kinds of reasons. If he comes back and plays well he both helps the team and improves his trade prospects (including as part of my pipe dream to get Goldschmidt and Hicks from the Cards). Who knows how long he was dealing with the vertigo issues and how long the took to build up? His plate discipline has never been great but as for overall production it might explain a few things. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would have been fine if they had kept him down until he showed more at AA that being said.

1. He isn't some butcher at first base like some contend.  The data doesn't support that claim. 
  2. He isn't a platoon bat, him hitting better VS LHP is a recent thing and SSS.
  3. Elias and company are not going to weigh his performance this season over his career numbers.  His career 1400 AB with an OPS+ of 110 mean more than the 89 OPS+ he put up over 242 AB this season.

You folks are better than this.

I agree .. exactly.  And he historically can get on very hot streaks that have carried this team for a week or more .. Only true Blue Jays fans hope we give up on him altogether lol given how he destroys them.

For all the reasons noted, he will return to the lineup and maybe too Elias et al think we might catch one of those hot streaks for awhile. 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Why do people continually say that Mountcastle can't field.....he's made 2 errors in 403 chances this year, and has a .995 fielding %.  Last year, it was a .994 fielding %.  

If it's because he has scooped up some bad throws, we can't pin that all on him, can we??  Are any of us bad fielders because we can't come up with bad throws once in a while?  It's not like he never scoops one, and honestly, I put those throws on the guys that threw them, not Ryan.  

The sheer hate and vitriol for this guy right now - and the negative comments about him - is an embarrassment to our Fandom.

I just had to double check the roster to see if there was another Ryan Mountcastle that you may have been watching. There isn’t. Subjectivity is interesting. 

For the record, I don’t hate Ryan Mountcastle. I’m indifferent to him as a human, but he seems like a cool guy and a good clubhouse presence. I just don’t want bad baseball players on the Orioles. Is that really that bad?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This sucks. 

And whatever, I just don’t like watching the guy play baseball. His at bats are terrible to watch. I will grant that his defense is mediocre at best but that’s not a reason to keep trotting him out there. He’s not Keith Hernandez. 

@Can_of_cornhas yet to adequately address the fact that Mountcastle’s production has steadily dropped across the board since he came into the league.  Year over year, his batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, OPS+ has declined.

Every. 
Single. 
Year. 

I’m not sure why anyone would intentionally overlook this but I also can’t believe that anyone would. I also don’t care that he’s 26 and might have some upside left compared to the incredibly elder statesman O’Hearn who is 29 and needs a catheter delivered to his hotel room when he’s on the road.

If people want to platoon him, fine. Whatever. But I don’t see how he makes the overall roster better and more flexible especially when you have Santander and Urias who have logged time at first base. 

It is particularly hard to watch him hit in a lineup with Mateo, those are 6-8 automatic outs per game. And Frazier isn’t much better.  If they’re putting Mountcastle into the lineup I hope they don’t have the other two in there as well. 

I don’t believe this team is better with Ryan Mountcastle on it. And for all of the forward thinking, progressive stuff that Elias and SigBot are into, I can’t believe they think the roster just got better with this move. 

I'd be inclined to throw out 2020, we are talking about 140 plate appearances and he had that odd spike in infield singles (he hit .395 on ground balls in 2020).  Unless anyone thinks him having a 333 BA was sustainable?

The only reason to not disregard it is you then have a guy that put up pretty similar years at 114 and 108 OPS+ before struggling in a partial season this year. 

Just now, oriole said:

I just had to double check the roster to see if there was another Ryan Mountcastle that you may have been watching. There isn’t. Subjectivity is interesting. 

For the record, I don’t hate Ryan Mountcastle. I’m indifferent to him as a human, but he seems like a cool guy and a good clubhouse presence. I just don’t want bad baseball players on the Orioles. Is that really that bad?

No, but fielding stats say he's not a bad fielder, and he seems to only be "bad" when he's going up against RHP, not LHP.  So, as long as we put him in positions where he can succeed, then it should be a win-win, provided he continues to hit LHP like he has this year with a 1..071 OPS.  I'd take that.  

And, to my other point, if Ryan demonstrates he CAN still hit lefties in the back half of the month, then we either opt to be happy with that and keep him, or maybe he accumulates enough value that another team might want him in a trade.

If we start rolling him out there day after day against righties, then I'm in your camp.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This sucks. 

And whatever, I just don’t like watching the guy play baseball. His at bats are terrible to watch. I will grant that his defense is mediocre at best but that’s not a reason to keep trotting him out there. He’s not Keith Hernandez. 

@Can_of_cornhas yet to adequately address the fact that Mountcastle’s production has steadily dropped across the board since he came into the league.  Year over year, his batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, OPS+ has declined.

Every. 
Single. 
Year. 

I’m not sure why anyone would intentionally overlook this but I also can’t believe that anyone would. I also don’t care that he’s 26 and might have some upside left compared to the incredibly elder statesman O’Hearn who is 29 and needs a catheter delivered to his hotel room when he’s on the road.

If people want to platoon him, fine. Whatever. But I don’t see how he makes the overall roster better and more flexible especially when you have Santander and Urias who have logged time at first base. 

It is particularly hard to watch him hit in a lineup with Mateo, those are 6-8 automatic outs per game. And Frazier isn’t much better.  If they’re putting Mountcastle into the lineup I hope they don’t have the other two in there as well. 

I don’t believe this team is better with Ryan Mountcastle on it. And for all of the forward thinking, progressive stuff that Elias and SigBot are into, I can’t believe they think the roster just got better with this move. 

But his stats LAST YEAR were great.  Just because he couldn't hit AAA pitching means nothing.