Mountcastle back, Zimmermann down

deward

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

History is nice.  Times change.  Players change.  We all know what these two are doing in relation to one another NOW.  Last year's stats won't get you a foul ball.  

Seriously?

You don't think there is value in extended data sizes?

Did you think that Soto was washed up when he had a rough (for him) start to the year?

After all who cares about last year's stats!

That can't be your actual opinion can it?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

This is what they are saying.

That isn't a nuanced take.  It's silliness.

I can't believe this?  Really?  You can't believe that they would call up the teams OD starting 1B now that he's healthy?  That's an unbelievable situation?

He's probably going to PH and start against LHP as long as O'Hearn does well.  It's not some hugely damaging move that folks are making it out to be.

We don't need him.

8 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

You can't trade any of those three and get any pitching we don't have already.  We don't need rag arms.  If we want real BP talent on a trade it's going to cost.

But we don't have to expect that from a Mateo trade. All I'd want from him in return is something we believe will make the organization better long term. That could very well be a 17 y.o. Dominican right now.

We'll have to find pitching elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

But we don't have to expect that from a Mateo trade. All I'd want from him in return is something we believe will make the organization better long term. That could very well be a 17 y.o. Dominican right now.

We'll have to find pitching elsewhere. 

I misunderstood you.  Sorry.  I'd take a bag of broken fungo bats.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

This is what they are saying.

That isn't a nuanced take.  It's silliness.

I can't believe this?  Really?  You can't believe that they would call up the teams OD starting 1B now that he's healthy?  That's an unbelievable situation?

He's probably going to PH and start against LHP as long as O'Hearn does well.  It's not some hugely damaging move that folks are making it out to be.

Damn Corn, gotta call me out like that. Mountcastle sucked before his IL stint and he sucked during his IL stint. Every year he gets worse. He can’t hit. He can’t field. To continue giving him loyalty at bats is silly IMO. 

I will say, if he is around to DH vs LHP then he can be a niche asset and a good one at that. 

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't you folks read?

Where did I say I want him getting at bats today?

Go ahead, show me!

Where did I say I'm in favor of him getting called up today?

Go ahead, show me!

What I said is the amount of angst over this move is ridiculous.

Folks are acting like he's the worst player in the league and beyond all hope of ever doing anything useful on the field again.

Well Corn, I can't believe that I'm on your side with this one, and the over-reaction.  It's not they said they're putting in the lineup everyday and batting 4th.

If he's in the lineup against lefties and hits like he has hit them in the past, what's the problem with that folks?   

If he sees a lot of time vs. righties and does what he always does, then we can all start second guessing it.  This is JUST a roster move, guys.

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't you folks read?

Where did I say I want him getting at bats today?

Go ahead, show me!

Where did I say I'm in favor of him getting called up today?

Go ahead, show me!

What I said is the amount of angst over this move is ridiculous.

Folks are acting like he's the worst player in the league and beyond all hope of ever doing anything useful on the field again.

Out of genuine concern, and saying absolutely nothing about the argument going on here, your side, opposing side, whatever (as I don't want this to be misconstrued as an ad hominem attack; it's not, I'm not weighing in on the debate in question)...

Are you ok?  Some of your posts in this thread don't sound like you usually do.   Hoping all is well.     

Edited by Morgan423
typos
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Out of genuine concern, and saying absolutely nothing about the argument going on here, your side, opposing side, whatever (as I don't want this to be misconstrued as an ad hominem attack; it's not, I'm not weighing in on the debate in question)...

Are you ok?  Some of your posts in this thread don't sound like you usually do.   Hoping all is well.     

I'm fine thanks.

I get irked when folks misrepresent my comments.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, oriole said:

Damn Corn, gotta call me out like that. Mountcastle sucked before his IL stint and he sucked during his IL stint. Every year he gets worse. He can’t hit. He can’t field. To continue giving him loyalty at bats is silly IMO. 

I will say, if he is around to DH vs LHP then he can be a niche asset and a good one at that. 

Why do people continually say that Mountcastle can't field.....he's made 2 errors in 403 chances this year, and has a .995 fielding %.  Last year, it was a .994 fielding %.  

If it's because he has scooped up some bad throws, we can't pin that all on him, can we??  Are any of us bad fielders because we can't come up with bad throws once in a while?  It's not like he never scoops one, and honestly, I put those throws on the guys that threw them, not Ryan.  

The sheer hate and vitriol for this guy right now - and the negative comments about him - is an embarrassment to our Fandom.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

It shouldn't be surprising that the Orioles activated their starting 1b when his time was up in rehab.  

It's totally fair to wonder what role he has going forward and personally, I can easily see a future that isn't in Baltimore.

This issue, along with many others, is a result of an organization that has done a tremendous job of juggling a lineup that is one of the youngest in baseball.

It will work out fine.  RM will have to prove he has a place on this team, but there is nothing wrong with him getting that shot.

Like having a 3rd catcher, this move will require another move after the break for a pitcher...it could still be RM.

I am surprised at this move since RM hadn't been hitting at AAA but my question is how did we replace a pitcher with a position player when we are supposed to be 13 each? Did they make another move in addition? Is our bench Mateo, Hicks, Urias, Frazier, and RM? Somebody has to be voted off the island, precursor to a trade or IL stint?

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I am surprised at this move since RM hadn't been hitting at AAA but my question is how did we replace a pitcher with a position player when we are supposed to be 13 each? Did they make another move in addition? Is our bench Mateo, Hicks, Urias, Frazier, and RM? Somebody has to be voted off the island, precursor to a trade or IL stint?

There is only a cap on pitchers. I would think a move is coming shortly after the break and it is not a guarantee that Mountcastle is going to stick. 

• Upvote 1

If the Orioles are definitely considering dealing Mountcastle at this time, then I think they NEED him to demonstrate that he can still hit lefties well between now and the end of July in order to even get a bid for him from a team that is weak against lefties....which, by many accounts on here, we are.

Serious question here. - who would we rather see in the lineup vs. a LHP out of McCann, McKenna and Mountcastle??  I have to be honest here, Mountcastle even has a better OPS vs. LHP than Adley does.....as in 1.071 vs. LHP.  Last I checked, that's pretty remarkable.

• Upvote 1

This is a free roll with four off days on deck.    I doubt Ryan Mountcastle knows Mike Elias' real intentions, but no cost to brightening his week.

I don't believe we'll run any risk on the 5 options per year maximum on each individual player if he still can't get it going.