Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Here a pretty interesting write-up that suggests the O's trade with the Mets.  There are a few different proposals that mostly revolve around the Mets sending David Robertson, Jose Qunitana and/or Mark Canha to the O's for some combination of prospects like Connor Norby, Cesar Prieto and DL Hall.  The Mets would eat some salary too.  

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/the-baltimore-orioles-are-the-new-york-mets-dream-trade-partner/

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Have you looked at Povich’s era the last 2 years? Not very impressive 

I’m more interested in the 13 K/9 and 3.06 xFIP as a 23 year old in AA.

I like Jordan Montgomery and would trade some solid prospect capital for him but I think Povich is worth more. 

18 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The trade part?  Or the cherry picking FA part?  And I usually do ignore throw away comments. 

I’m not cherry picking anything. If you feel ownership did a good job of supporting the ML team the last few offseasons, good for you. I don’t and I find it annoying that we now have to trade assets to cover up those mistakes and, btw, we may not even accomplish that goal anyway and therefore, we are in as good a shape as we should be heading into the playoffs.

The hot stove rumors have been surprisingly quiet around Max Scherzer, considering the Mets are way out of a wildcard position and he could opt out this offseason (although he may not beat his remaining 1 yr 43M as a FA).  Assuming the Mets pay down his salary to a sufficient level that we can take it on, what’s the best prospect that folks would be willing to trade for him?

For me, I think it would be somebody in the Prieto/Fabian/Beavers/Wagner/Willems category. Not likely enough to get the Mets to eat the salary necessary to make it happen. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The hot stove rumors have been surprisingly quiet around Max Scherzer, considering the Mets are way out of a wildcard position and he could opt out this offseason (although he may not beat his remaining 1 yr 43M as a FA).  Assuming the Mets pay down his salary to a sufficient level that we can take it on, what’s the best prospect that folks would be willing to trade for him?

For me, I think it would be somebody in the Prieto/Fabian/Beavers/Wagner/Willems category. Not likely enough to get the Mets to eat the salary necessary to make it happen. 

Fabian and Willems are higher than that group.

13 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Here a pretty interesting write-up that suggests the O's trade with the Mets.  There are a few different proposals that mostly revolve around the Mets sending David Robertson, Jose Qunitana and/or Mark Canha to the O's for some combination of prospects like Connor Norby, Cesar Prieto and DL Hall.  The Mets would eat some salary too.  

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/the-baltimore-orioles-are-the-new-york-mets-dream-trade-partner/

I would be interested in Robertson. The other two that’s a big no thanks for me!

• Like 1

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I would be interested in Robertson. The other two that’s a big no thanks for me!

You only want players who are Hall of Fame contenders or not available.  This guy's proposals are more grounded in reality.

Canha helps in CF while Mullins and Hicks recover.  I can understand the hesitancy on Quintana, but numbers wise over the past year he's been as about as good as any of our best current starters.  As important, if this is writer is in the ballpark, the cost to the Orioles would be pretty small in prospects and the team would get back a lot of money to reinvest later.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Yeah, RollTide posted than in the Orioles related trade thread.  As I posted in that thread, this is an interesting idea.  I was interested in Quintana last off season.  If the Mets pay the bulk of the salaries, this could make a lot of sense.

Edited by Number5
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Not sure how this helps us, outside of Robertson.

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

You only want players who are Hall of Fame contenders or not available.  This guy's proposals are more grounded in reality.

Canha helps in CF while Mullins and Hicks recover.  I can understand the hesitancy on Quintana, but numbers wise over the past year he's been as about as good as any of our best current starters.  As important, if this is writer is in the ballpark, the cost to the Orioles would be pretty small in prospects and the team would get back a lot of money to reinvest later.

I can't upvote, but I wanted to let you know that you absolutely nailed it with your reply. It's so frustrating to read post after post in the trade threads that aren't rooted in any semblance of reality. I agree with you 100% that this is a well thought out suggested trade (by the writer) and while the names aren't sexy it would certainly plug quite a few holes and make the Orioles a better team. And more importantly, we probably wouldn't have to give up any key building blocks to make it happen. 

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not cherry picking anything. If you feel ownership did a good job of supporting the ML team the last few offseasons, good for you. I don’t and I find it annoying that we now have to trade assets to cover up those mistakes and, btw, we may not even accomplish that goal anyway and therefore, we are in as good a shape as we should be heading into the playoffs.

I never said they made no mistakes.  I’m not even trying to convince you that your opinion is wrong.  I’m stating that I think your view has hindsight fallacies.  I’ve stated why.  I know from previous post that you are never wrong.  Now I’m moving on.  

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure how this helps us, outside of Robertson.

Well, one of his proposals is just David Robertson + $3.5 million for just Connor Norby.  I'm not pretending to be an expert on trade value equivalencies, but this trade sounds close to reality if not ideal. 

Norby probably has no future on the O's unless he quickly turns into a stud outfielder.  Now unless there's a better option for Norby, such as maybe Josh Hader or someone else under control beyond the season, it seems like a pretty good trade for the O's.  Robertson is only a rental but so are most other trade candidates being thrown around.  Maybe Norby is too much even for a rental in Robertson, but the idea of targeting Robertson makes so much sense.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Is Eduardo Rodriguez a Hall of Fame contender? Is he not available?

Would you rather have him or Quintana?

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I’m more interested in the 13 K/9 and 3.06 xFIP as a 23 year old in AA.

I like Jordan Montgomery and would trade some solid prospect capital for him but I think Povich is worth more. 

How about BB/9 ….Homers allowed?