Injury rehabbing players could determine Elias deadline moves

wildcard

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don't think he will have a full answer on Means by then.   He'll probably have at most 4 rehab games by then and won't be fully built up.

And he won’t even have 20 days before the deadline, since Means wouldn’t start the rehab until at least after the AS break.

They will run out that rehab as long as they can.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s not the question I asked you. It’s always possible that they pass on guys because of cost. I’m asking if you actually believe the injury/rehab guys will be the reason he says no and stands Pat?

I said in the OP that those pitchers will be considered by Elias between now an August 1st.   I don't know what will happen.   But if Means looks good or Perez looks like last year, or Hernandez looks like a left-handed Cano, etc... its something Elias will consider.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I said in the OP that those pitchers will be considered by Elias between now an August 1st.   I don't know what will happen.   But if Means looks good or Perez looks like last year, or Hernandez looks like a left-handed Cano, etc... its something Elias will consider.

In a contending year, you don’t get obvious upgrades because of maybes. That’s just illogical.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I essentially agree with you.   If we are making any deadline moves, they shouldn't be moves that just add depth at the quality of pitcher we already have.  They should be upgrades, guys who slot in the top 3 of either our rotation or our bullpen.  

I think this is right.  The O's shouldn't be trading for 5th starters or someone to soak up innings in the bullpen.  Ideally, the starter traded for should at least be an upgrade over Kremer/Gibson.  Any bullpen arm should be an upgrade over Baker/Coulombe or at least comparable to them.  I was thinking adding 2 bullpen arms would be a good idea, but Elias is not DFAing what he considers good bullpen arms.  It's much better to add 1 great reliever than 2 very good relievers.  A pitcher like Perez or even Voth could suddenly refind what made them good.  Not saying it's likely to happen, but the O's can't throw away the whole underperforming part of the bullpen.  This isn't the Mets.  It would be great if Givens or Tate came back and gave us 1 improved reliever.  Elias has a much better idea if that is likely to happen than any of us. 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In a contending year, you don’t get obvious upgrades because of maybes. That’s just illogical.

That's the issue though, which I think even you acknowledged earlier.

There almost certainly isn't going to be an obvious upgrade available for the rotation.  And that's got nothing to do with Means.

So I agree with you in that you certainly don't "count" on Means, but wildcard's right too, in the sense that anybody traded for will have to be an upgrade over the pitchers that are already here.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's the issue though, which I think even you acknowledged earlier.

There almost certainly isn't going to be an obvious upgrade available for the rotation.  And that's got nothing to do with Means.

So I agree with you in that you certainly don't "count" on Means, but wildcard's right too, in the sense that anybody traded for will have to be an upgrade over the pitchers that are already here.

But you can’t know what those guys even are because they have either been hurt, aren’t performing well or can’t throw the ball more than 17 MPH. Anything they give you is a bonus and they should not be counted on at all.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But you can’t know what those guys even are because they have either been hurt, aren’t performing well or can’t throw the ball more than 17 MPH. Anything they give you is a bonus and they should not be counted on at all.

But it's not just the injured guys.  It's the guys healthy and performing too.  That's where the 19 comes from.

They're not going to trade for a SP that isn't a clear and obvious upgrade over, not Means, but Kremer.

Highly unlikely somebody like that is available for a reasonable price.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But it's not just the injured guys.  It's the guys healthy and performing too.  That's where the 19 comes from.

They're not going to trade for a SP that isn't a clear and obvious upgrade over, not Means, but Kremer.

Highly unlikely somebody like that is available for a reasonable price.

I’m not talking about the existing players. Obviously they aren’t trading for guys who are better than what they have although innings restrictions do come into play with some of these guys, potentially.

I’m talking about injured and rehabbing guys, you know the ones in the title of the thread.

Zero of those guys should be counted on for anything right now. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not talking about the existing players. Obviously they aren’t trading for guys who are better than what they have although innings restrictions do come into play with some of these guys, potentially.

I’m talking about injured and rehabbing guys, you know the ones in the title of the thread.

Zero of those guys should be counted on for anything right now. 

Well, you might not be talking about them, but wildcard was.  He's factoring them, rightly, as part of the equation.

I agree with you in regards to the injured guys.