Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Who do they start on Friday? That's the more pressing question that I am wondering. They could totally reshuffle their rotation order if they want to. But I would try to keep Bradish and Kremer on connecting days because over the past year, something has worked well when they pitch back to back from each other. Last season it was Kremer following Bradish. This season it's been Bradish following Kremer. Either way, it's worked.

I don't know what motivated the discussion, but Geoff Arnold and Jim Palmer were talking during the game Sunday about Gibson possibly coming back on normal rest and starting Friday, so he would basically be starting 2 days in a row.

I don't know if one of them just made up that possibility, or if they heard something.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It would be great if they went with 12 pitchers but you should still drop Mateo even if you did that.

I do think this is probably what I prefer. DFA Mateo, probably trade him while he's in limbo.

If the team needs speed on the bench in the playoffs, you have McKenna and Cameron in Norfolk. You also have Fabian in Bowie, who you probably are going to add to your 40-man in the off-season anyway to protect in the Rule 5 (I think?). 

I don't buy that they'd add Bradfield mostly because it complicates the 40-man roster down the line. 

But there are some speed options. None are as good as Mateo, but yeah.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do think this is probably what I prefer. DFA Mateo, probably trade him while he's in limbo.

If the team needs speed on the bench in the playoffs, you have McKenna and Cameron in Norfolk. You also have Fabian in Bowie, who you probably are going to add to your 40-man in the off-season anyway to protect in the Rule 5 (I think?). 

I don't buy that they'd add Bradfield mostly because it complicates the 40-man roster down the line. 

But there are some speed options. None are as good as Mateo, but yeah.

??  Fabian has been in the organization for a year.  He isn't eligible for the rule 5 draft.  

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I will be surprised if there is a trade before July 18th.  Its too easy to fix without a trade.   August 1st creates a lot more pressure.   Because what ever is in place on that day the O's live with for the next two months.

I believe you mean THREE months?  🙂

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

??  Fabian has been in the organization for a year.  He isn't eligible for the rule 5 draft.  

Right, my bad. Not sure who I must have been thinking of. EDIT: Haskin is the guy I was thinking of as the kind of fringey CFer. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yeah, he has had big hits, but the main thing is he is kinda redundant with the rest of the roster we have. He is also a free agent after this year. Mateo and Urias provide skills that he doesn't and both are under team control next year. 

Just to play devil's advocate he isn't  THAT redundant when the vast majority of our infield options bat righthanded.

48 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't know what motivated the discussion, but Geoff Arnold and Jim Palmer were talking during the game Sunday about Gibson possibly coming back on normal rest and starting Friday, so he would basically be starting 2 days in a row.

I don't know if one of them just made up that possibility, or if they heard something.   

That makes sense, pushing back starts of guys like Bradish and Wells.  I don't think the O's will go to a 6 man rotation, but it would be good to have a starter/long man in the bullpen to take occasional starts so Wells and maybe Bradish can skip a start or 2. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Just to play devil's advocate he isn't  THAT redundant when the vast majority of our infield options bat righthanded.

Okay, right handed starter, Frazier should not start over Gunnar, Urias or Westburg. Lefty start and a right hander comes in to pitch, we will have O'hearn and probably Hicks to pinch hit.

15 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Sending down Westburg or Cowser would be madness. Incalculable levels of stupidity. We want the good players to be on the active roster. Leave the studs alone. We are in a pennant race. 

I would have left Mountcastle down but if management is insistent, 1 of Frazier or Mateo can go. I won’t lose any sleep over who. 

Obviously Cowser and Westburg were not the only ones responsible for the O's offensive resurgence.  There is the factor of the excitement of new players breaking into the majors that rubs off on the other players.  There is also the extra effort that players who play the exact position as these players will put in to keep/protect their jobs.  I think that even applies to players that are in no danger of losing their job such as Hays.  MLB is a competitive sport.  You are competing with other teams but you are also competing to be better than other players on your team.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can you DFA a player then place him back on the MLB team?  He would have to go thru waivers first, right?

DFA'ing a player removes him from the 40 man roster, and thus from the MLB team as well.

If you DFA him, AND don't trade him in the ten days, AND he clears waivers, AND he accepts an assignment to Norfolk and doesn't become a free agent... it would in fact be possible to bring him back.   Of course you would have to add him to the 40 man roster first which would mean moving someone else off (via DFA or 60 day IL) to make room for him.

Pretty sure we have done this with fringe players at one time or another in the past few years.

I think the Orioles will push this off a bit longer. There's no need for a 13-man pitching staff at the moment. The bullpen only covered 5 innings in the last two games and the team has 4 days off. Granted, it's likely that Bautista and Cano pitch an inning today, but that's still a well rested pen for Friday. It feels like Rodriguez is coming back soon so if you had to go to a starter in relief in an emergency, Grayson can make the start instead. 

There's also a few guys on the roster that can be sent down (Vespi, Bazardo) for a fresh arm if the pen gets heavy use out of the gate in the second half. 

It makes more sense to ride a short pen for a bit. Even if they do opt to go to a 13-man staff, I don't see Cowser or Westburg as the victim. Both have been good (Cowser's numbers not the best, but he's looked good) since their promotion and both have played regularly. It's not an Ortiz situation. Elias and company are treating Cowser and Westburg as bigger prospects than Ortiz. It seems apparent based on their handling so far (even if we/I may not agree with that assessment). 

Frazier and Mateo are the weakest links right now. I'd keep Mateo over Frazier as a PR and defensive replacement, but given that's such a small role, it's not that big of a deal either way in my mind. 

Honestly, though, I could see the Orioles juggling a 12-man staff until the deadline with one of the veteran infielders included in a trade package (likely Urias). 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

DFA'ing a player removes him from the 40 man roster, and thus from the MLB team as well.

If you DFA him, AND don't trade him in the ten days, AND he clears waivers, AND he accepts an assignment to Norfolk and doesn't become a free agent... it would in fact be possible to bring him back.   Of course you would have to add him to the 40 man roster first which would mean moving someone else off (via DFA or 60 day IL) to make room for him.

Pretty sure we have done this with fringe players at one time or another in the past few years.

If a team claims him, are they responsible for his salary or just the ML minimum?

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If a team claims him, are they responsible for his salary or just the ML minimum?

his salary

they are claiming his contract on waivers

if he is clears waivers and is one of the players who can refuse an assignement to the minors, then a team that signed him after that would only pay the minimum and we would be on the hook for the rest