Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

8 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Are we really worried about having O'Hearn beyond next year though? (If I am understanding the dilemma right) 

I would hope that the team is past trivial things like that. If they want to keep him, just pay him like any other well ran team would do.

Just now, foxfield said:

It increases his value whether we keep him or not. Right?

How? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but how does that increase his value? There's not a team in MLB that will look at this season and pay him based on that without considering all of the seasons prior.

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

How? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but how does that increase his value? There's not a team in MLB that will look at this season and pay him based on that without considering all of the seasons prior.

It appears, in a sss to be sure, that O'Hearn has had something unlocked by the Orioles.  He isn't a star, or a cornerstone piece, but if the Orioles look to trade him how long he can be controlled certainly impacts the value you can get. 

It doesn't change who he is mind you, but the sigbots of the world place value on control.  Thus, having an extra year of control would lift O'Hearn's value.

4 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

One consideration I just realized: O’Hearn is right on the cusp of a year of control. He came into this year with 4 yrs and 2 days. I’m NOT advocating for it at all because I think the priority is to put out our best team in the midst of the playoff hunt and right now that definitely includes O’Hearn (who has been our #4 hitter vs RHP for weeks!). 

O’Hearn still has an option but could also potentially have a grievance if he were optioned given his performance, but I think the Orioles win that. They could credibly argue that Mountcastle is the incumbent starter and they don’t have space on the roster as currently constructed. 

I think they would only need to keep O’Hearn down a couple weeks to get the year of control. They could recall him pretty much right after the roster crunch is solved at the trade deadline. FWIW, O’Hearn’s salary in arbitration for the additional year would be quite cheap given his performance the past few years and his baseline arb salary this year, so if you think he’s actually the player we have seen this year (and not just on a lucky heater), then that year of control is actually a decent chunk of value. 

This off season sign him to a one year contract plus an option year.   If he does well next year pick up the option.  If he does do well let him go.

Also with the option year if he does well next year and  Mayo is ready to take over 1st at some point next year they can trade O"Hearn.

Edited by wildcard

This isn't a comment just prompted by this game, but I've felt all year that the criticism against Frazier has been mostly unwarranted. He's a solid player who should be getting fairly regular at-bats the last couple months. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

This isn't a comment just prompted by this game, but I've felt all year that the criticism against Frazier has been mostly unwarranted. He's a solid player who should be getting fairly regular at-bats the last couple months. 

I've been critical of Frazier the last two weeks not withstanding.  He's earned his pay recently.  My problem is we want a lot more offense out of that position.  

The Mullins injury should keep Cowser here now.  If he is hurt they will just use him as the guy replaced but even if it not long term I think they keep Cowser up for insurance.  That would mean it comes down to Mountcastle or Urias IMO.   I just don’t see a place for Urias on this team as he doesn’t hit lefties well, doesn’t have great power or speed.  A very good defender with an average bat seems like tough guy to find at bats for him and he hasn’t got one since the break.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The Mullins injury should keep Cowser here now.  If he is hurt they will just use him as the guy replaced but even if it not long term I think they keep Cowser up for insurance.  That would mean it comes down to Mountcastle or Urias IMO.   I just don’t see a place for Urias on this team as he doesn’t hit lefties well, doesn’t have great power or speed.  A very good defender with an average bat seems like tough guy to find at bats for him and he hasn’t got one since the break.  

Would you rather keep Urias on the roster or Mountcastle?

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I don't know how much time they are going to give Cowser if he doesn't start hitting...and... catching the ball. I can see Hicks going back to CF and a platoon of Mountcastle/O'Hearn at 1B if Mullins is going to miss significant time. I wouldn't be shocked for Cowser to go back to AAA, but there isn't much room for him down there. I'd be happy to trot him out there every day, but I also don't think the O's are going to the World Series this year and I'd rather the young guys get their licks at the big league level.

26 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't know how much time they are going to give Cowser if he doesn't start hitting...and... catching the ball. I can see Hicks going back to CF and a platoon of Mountcastle/O'Hearn at 1B if Mullins is going to miss significant time. I wouldn't be shocked for Cowser to go back to AAA, but there isn't much room for him down there. I'd be happy to trot him out there every day, but I also don't think the O's are going to the World Series this year and I'd rather the young guys get their licks at the big league level.

Cowser is having good AB’s though.  First two times up tonight, hit the ball solidly to LF and the 3B but right at the fielders.   Just a matter of time just like every level he’s been at.   I am disappointed he didn’t make that catch.  Would have been a nice play but he should have caught it.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser is having good AB’s though.  First two times up tonight, hit the ball solidly to LF and the 3B but right at the fielders.   Just a matter of time just like every level he’s been at.   I am disappointed he didn’t make that catch.  Would have been a nice play but he should have caught it.

I'm not down on him at all. I'd rather he play everyday record be damned. I'm not sure the powers that be are satisfied with .158/.333/.158. He hasn't been starting, so I assume they aren't really comfortable letting him get the necessary ABs to make the adjustment.