Orioles acquire LHP Rich Hill from Cubs

Cal8

Hill has to start in Baltimore not Norfolk right? Any move to the minors would require exposing him to waivers first?

I wonder what happens if his control struggles continue during spring training, you can't just hand him a spot.

They'll stick him in the bullpen and try to let Dunn iron him out before they out and out release him, IMO.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the only reason we got him. The Cubs couldn't demote him without exposing him to waivers. I'm just surprised that nobody was offering anything more than a PTBNL, albeit one that will apparently change in quality depending on how good he does.

Here's a question: What's the cut-off point for determining who we send to the Cubs? Does it depends on how well he does in 2009? Until the AS Break?

I'm pretty sure the trade has to be completed within 6 months...

Guest BrettMeister86

I'd like to think there is still good in the world and Hendry said Rich just won't make it in Chicago. Lets get the kid his confidence back in another division and get him back together with his pitching coach Jimmy Kranitz. If he does well we'll get a better prospect, and if he doesn't I'll know I gave him the best possible chance to succeed because Kranny was the one who tutored him leading up to his breakout season in 2007.

Yeah, I think they'll be looking for every reason to keep Baez, and they'll dump Walker - as there's not many plusses in keeping a 37/38 year old loogy who can't get lefties out, anymore.

In either case, I agree that the release of Gibbons set a precedent that players owed $$$ won't be guaranteed a spot on the 25-man roster.

Of course Baez will be given a strong look in spring training. So will Walker, Hill, Ray, and everyone else coming back from injury or a bad season.

Guest BrettMeister86

So if they release Walker and keep Baez (gag) then whats the BP looking like?

CL Sherrill

SU Johnson

SU Ray

RP Hendrickson

RP Baez

RP ?

RP ?

I'd guess two of Penn, Liz, Sarfate, Albers is a lock (if healthy) Waters, Bass, Perez

That closer and set up role looks VERY strong in the late innings.

If I had to bet money, I would bet on DCab....If you asked me who would I rather have, my answer would be Hill.

That sounds about right. Cabrera will probably be passable, with mild upside.

Hill could be anything from terrific to out of baseball.

Better in 2009: Rich Hill or Daniel Cabrera?

Who knows, but Andy MacPhail thinks it's Hill.

I know Cabrera isn't going to be anything if he's the pitcher we saw in August and September. He was throwing in the high 80s and still had no idea how to throw a consistent strike. To go along with the fact he couldn't hold runners, couldn't field his position, and "hits" like he wasn't sure which end of the bat to hold.

At least there's some hope that Hill just had some seriously messed up mechanics.

Hill has to start in Baltimore not Norfolk right? Any move to the minors would require exposing him to waivers first?

I wonder what happens if his control struggles continue during spring training, you can't just hand him a spot.

The Orioles could always sign him to a new $50M contract, virtually guaranteeing that no one would put in waiver a claim on him.

Alfredo Simon has compromising pictures of a high ranking Orioles official. There's no other explanation.

We spend more time worrying about guys who are basically the same thing then we do worrying about guys who are on the horizon.

Buress = Simon

I think that we have 2 similar left handers (maybe a little better) still on the 40 in Chris Waters and Mark Hendrickson.

Bottom line, great low risk, high reward move to get Hill. And moving Burres is no big deal. If Looper or someone else is signed Simon will be the next to go.

He would fall out of our control in 2012, not sure what year he would be arb. eligible.
Worst case scenario: O's free up 2 spaces on the 40 man roster if Hill doesn't come through.

Best case scenario: The O's just landed an injury-free 2007 Bedard under control through 2011 for a PTBNL

According to Cot's, Hill has 2.041 ML service time. He'll be -

Arbitration eligible - end of 2009

Free agent eligible - end of 2012

Archived