Orioles acquire LHP Rich Hill from Cubs

Cal8

Baez is as good as gone IMO.

The Orioles will delay this decision as long as possible. If he pitches poorly in ST they will start him on the DL saying he needs to build up arm strength. If he pitches well in the spring then my gut tells me he will be on the roster.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burres will be designated for assignment, not the one traded for him. Roch said after a comment he believes Burres has 1 option left, so this just takes him off the 40 man roster.
Designating him for assignment has nothing to do with his option situation. Option are used to remove a player from the 25 man major league roster and assign him to a minor league team. The player remains on the team's 40 man roster. Designating him for assignment in this manner removes the player entirely from the 40 man roster. The only question is whether Burress has enough service time to refuse the assignment and become a free agent. I don't know what the answer to that is.

Close, but no cigar... Burres has 2.010 (est) years of ML service time according to Cot's and you need 3 years of ML service time to be able to refuse an assignment.

If the player is not claimed (clears waivers), the club may option him or assign him outright to the minor leagues, though he must continue to be paid according to the terms of his contract. A player may be assigned outright to the minors only once in his career without his permission. Thereafter, he may either 1) reject the assignment and become a free agent, or 2) accept the assignment and become a free agent at the end of the season if he’s not back on the 40-man roster. Additionally, player with 3 years of major league service may refuse an outright assignment and choose to become a free agent, regardless of whether he has been sent outright to the minors previously. A player with 5 years of major league service time who refuses an outright assignment is entitled to the money due according to the terms of his contract.

In other news, Cubs officials were just spotted trying to pry Hill's fingers from the door of his Chicago area home. "I don't want to go. Please don't make me go there!" screamed Hill to the delight of no one present. :D

Later Hill was scene running through O'Hara Airport and was overheard, "Lou, I'm free." over and over again.

:P

Well, looks like my 2008 "final weekend in Yankee $tadium" Brian Burres game used road jersey just cratered.

OTOH, kudos to Andy MacPhail for another positive move...and to the Cubs for letting Hill reunite with Kranitz and Dunn.

If I was Hill, I'd be headed for Fort Lauderdale NOW.

Guest rochester

I did not get through the entire thread and apologize if this was asked...but, is there a possibility that his back injury had something to do with his mechanics, i.e., control issues?

The Orioles will delay this decision as long as possible. If he pitches poorly in ST they will start him on the DL saying he needs to build up arm strength. If he pitches well in the spring then my gut tells me he will be on the roster.

Maybe but I think the writing is on the wall.

His apparent role was going to be long man out of the pen...Right now, that role is pretty much filled.

Injuries and awful pitching by others are the only chance he has to make this team IMO.

Maybe but I think the writing is on the wall.

His apparent role was going to be long man out of the pen...Right now, that role is pretty much filled.

Injuries and awful pitching by others are the only chance he has to make this team IMO.

I think you are letting your personal low opinion of Baez affect your judgment. If he has a Gibbons-lile spring, he'll suffer the same fate. But if he shows he can get hitters out, the O's will look to salvage some of that $6 mm.

My guy thinks Hill will be a steal. Hope he is right.
Is there any indication (Peace? bb? anyone?) that DT definitively expects Hill to begin the year in the rotation? Is there any thought being given to the idea that they'd want to ease him into that role after first allowing him to enjoy some success in a lower-pressure role in middle relief or as a long man in the pen? BTW, I'm not advocating either strategy, as I can't figure out what would be best for his personal development. Just curious what the braintrust is thinking.

I think you are letting your personal low opinion of Baez affect your judgment. If he has a Gibbons-lile spring, he'll suffer the same fate. But if he shows he can get hitters out, the O's will look to salvage some of that $6 mm.

Sure they will...i don't doubt that.

But he has to have a very good spring IMO.

Right now, who doesn't make the team that Baez replaces?

Better in 2009: Rich Hill or Daniel Cabrera?

My instinct is that it will be DCab. He plays in a bigger park, weaker league, but DCab's time was up in Baltimore like Hill's was in Chicago.

However, If you compare the numbers, then the stats say Hill has the much better chance.

Hill

28 years old

337.7 IP

7.75 Hits to innings to every 9 innings pitched.

3.65 walks to every 9IP

8.23 K to 9 IP

1.267 WHIP for his career

DCab

27 years old.......yes he was rushed.

841.1 IP

8.82 H to every 9 IP

5.11 Walks to every 9 IP

6.96 K to 9 IP

1.55 WHIP for his career.

The facts point to Hill being the better pitcher but that is offset some by DCab pitching in the AL which, is the better league, pitching in the AL East, and going up against the DH.

I think you also have to take in the intangibles like fielding your position, and I will readily admit that I have not seen nearly enough to know if he is capable, but I have a hard time believing he could be worse than Daniel who may have been the worst I have ever seen.

Bottom line the numbers tell me it is close, but based on comparisons, I think Hill represents an upgrade over Daniel for the Orioles.

Is there any indication (Peace? bb? anyone?) that DT definitively expects Hill to begin the year in the rotation? Is there any thought being given to the idea that they'd want to ease him into that role after first allowing him to enjoy some success in a lower-pressure role in middle relief or as a long man in the pen? BTW, I'm not advocating either strategy, as I can't figure out what would be best for his personal development. Just curious what the braintrust is thinking.

If I had to guess, there plan is to get him in here and see if they can fix him first...Let the rest of the stuff work itself out.

No doubt AM wants him to be a starter...He can eat innings and has 2/3 starter upside.

Archived