Orioles acquire LHP Rich Hill from Cubs

Cal8

I'm not 1970, but I'm not thrilled about losing Burres. I still think he will wind up a serviceable pitcher somewhere. I hope that we can deal him instead of losing him to a waiver claim.

If this is essentially Burres for Hill, then I think we have about a 99 percent chance of getting the better of the "trade".

This is a fantastic move. So fantastic that I can't really understand how we did it. Is this basically the Cubs clearing a roster spot and hoping that Hill does well and yields them a decent player?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos to MacPhail for making two good moves. Acquiring Hill for just a PTBNL is obviously the best move, but then keeping Scott Moore and DFA'ing Burres instead for the roster spot was the other good move.

Burres should slip through waivers easily and if not, he's no loss...

An all around great transaction...

Burres will be designated for assignment, not the one traded for him. Roch said after a comment he believes Burres has 1 option left, so this just takes him off the 40 man roster.

Designating him for assignment has nothing to do with his option situation. Option are used to remove a player from the 25 man major league roster and assign him to a minor league team. The player remains on the team's 40 man roster. Designating him for assignment in this manner removes the player entirely from the 40 man roster. The only question is whether Burress has enough service time to refuse the assignment and become a free agent. I don't know what the answer to that is.

Rich Hill may never overcome his sudden control problems, but he has a much better chance of being a solid major league pitchers than Brian Burres does.

Now the question is whether we continue to pursue Looper, or whether the quantity of pitchers vying for spots 3/4/5 convinces MacPhail that he's better off just giving 3 spots to whoever earns them in spring training and then running out the other arms if and when the initial selections fail.

Looper is still on the radar.

Archived