Orioles acquire LHP Rich Hill from Cubs

Cal8

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the only reason we got him. The Cubs couldn't demote him without exposing him to waivers. I'm just surprised that nobody was offering anything more than a PTBNL, albeit one that will apparently change in quality depending on how good he does.

Here's a question: What's the cut-off point for determining who we send to the Cubs? Does it depends on how well he does in 2009? Until the AS Break?

That's the only reason we got him. The Cubs couldn't demote him without exposing him to waivers. I'm just surprised that nobody was offering anything more than a PTBNL, albeit one that will apparently change in quality depending on how good he does.

Here's a question: What's the cut-off point for determining who we send to the Cubs? Does it depends on how well he does in 2009? Until the AS Break?

We probably wont find that out until it actually happens. I assume all those details are only privy to the parties involved.

If this is essentially Burres for Hill, then I think we have about a 99 percent chance of getting the better of the "trade".

Burress is a lefty with a ERA around 6.00, and very little platoon split. So he's a replacement-level starter and not a candidate to be a LOOGY.

If they O's find they have a desperate need for a store brand left-handed swingman they already have Chris Waters. And come March 20th or so there will be 20 more on the waiver wire.

Baez is as good as gone IMO.

The $5.5 million that we owe him is still going to be an issue and don't forget we are also paying Gibbons $6 million this season. Jay Payton and Kevin Millar both stuck with the team because they were owed a combined $8.8 million IMO...

The Orioles didn't cut Walker either after his crappy performance as they owe him $4.5 million for this season...

I think Baez will be in the bullpen and they'll hope he can at least pitch like he did for the Dodgers. Really the smart thing for the Orioles to do would be to make Baez the closer until the deadline and have JJ, Ray and Sherrill set him up, but that would never happen...

Burress is a lefty with a ERA around 6.00, and very little platoon split. So he's a replacement-level starter and not a candidate to be a LOOGY.

If they O's find they have a desperate need for a store brand left-handed swingman they already have Chris Waters. And come March 20th or so there will be 20 more on the waiver wire.

Exactly. Burres got a fair shot and didn't do well, and his MiL numbers have never suggested that he could be much more than he is now. I'm quite comfortable with this move.

The $6 million that we owe him is still going to be an issue and don't forget we are also paying Gibbons $6 million this season. Jay Payton and Kevin Millar both stuck with the team because they were owed a combined 8.8 million IMO...

The $6 mm is a reason to give Baez every opportunity to prove he can still pitch. It's not a reason to keep him if he can't.

The $6 mm is a reason to give Baez every opportunity to prove he can still pitch. It's not a reason to keep him if he can't.

Isn't "giving him every opportunity" sort of like saying "keep giving him more chances even if he stinks"? How does he get these opportunities if we don't keep him?

The $6 million that we owe him is still going to be an issue and don't forget we are also paying Gibbons $6 million this season. Jay Payton and Kevin Millar both stuck with the team because they were owed a combined 8.8 million IMO...

The Orioles didn't cut Walker either after his crappy performance as they owe him 4 million for this season...

I think Baez will be in the bullpen and they'll hope he can at least pitch like he did for the Dodgers. Really the smart thing for the Orioles to do would be to make Baez the closer and have JJ, Ray and Sherrill set him up, but that would never happen...

Payton and Millar didn't have competition from a scores of players at their positions. Baez does - he's just one arm among many vying for a spot in the rotation or pen. If he's not among the best 12 or 13 pitchers in the spring he'll be in the same situation Gibbons was: someone who doesn't deserve to be on the team.

Baez as closer might work if he's both healthy and good. If he's pitching like it's 2007 again putting him in the closer role isn't doing anything good for anyone except the Orioles' opponents.

Archived