Sunday, July 16: Orioles vs Marlins

86this

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

WTH?

Bundy finished 9th in CY voting his first year with the Angels.  How is that no future?  How is Bradish a TOR starter?

Who am I accusing them of misjudging?  Yaz?  I didn't think Yaz was anything, no one did, the Giants didn't.  I just think it's funny.

Heim?  I didn't think Heim was going to be anything more than a plus glove in the minors.  Doesn't mean I wanted to trade him for Pearce, who I think they knew was damaged goods.

The Bundy deal was a perfectly reasonable deal for a team in a win now situation to do.

I wasn't really referring to your post specifically, just how everyone hates it when our guys succeed elsewhere.

I think it is reasonable to say the Angels regret that deal. Bradish is definitely a TOR starter based on his numbers this year. 

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Human umpires is a thing that has run its course........Robo Umpires NOW!

I agree 100%, and have for years. It seems like fan sentiment has swung pretty far in that direction.

But one thing bothers me. So far as I know, every use of video replay or electronic referee/umpire calls decides or helps people decide where a ball went or landed relative to an unmoving, straight two-dimensional line.

Strike zone calls are different. The question is whether any portion of a pitch ever entered a three dimensional shape that's a rectangular prism with a little triangular prism (I think) tacked on the back. The  vertical boundaries of the zone are constant, but the horizontal boundaries vary for each batter. We've been told that MLB has worked out the technology for electronic strike zone calls, but is that certain?

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wasn't really referring to your post specifically, just how everyone hates it when our guys succeed elsewhere.

I think it is reasonable to say the Angels regret that deal. Bradish is definitely a TOR starter based on his numbers this year. 

Sure.

They didn't win with Bundy and Bradish has become a useful major league pitcher.

Just like folks didn't care for the Miller deal.

I don't think they overpaid for Bundy, they wanted someone that could help them that year and Bradish wasn't that guy.

4 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Is our lead Baker safe?

He's given up 15 earned runs in 40 appearances.     He's a pretty solid reliever.   You're talking about him like he's a gas can or something.   Most teams in MLB would be fine with a guy like him as the #4/#5/#6 guy out of the bullpen.

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree 100%, and have for years. It seems like fan sentiment has swung pretty far in that direction.

But one thing bothers me. So far as I know, every use of video replay or electronic referee/umpire calls decides or helps people decide where a ball went or landed relative to an unmoving, straight two-dimensional line.

Strike zone calls are different. The question is whether any portion of a pitch ever entered a three dimensional shape that's a rectangular prism with a little triangular prism (I think) tacked on the back. The  vertical boundaries of the zone are constant, but the horizontal boundaries vary for each batter. We've been told that MLB has worked out the technology for electronic strike zone calls, but is that certain?

They are testing it at the AA or AAA level, I have heard.

8 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

Man, I really hope KC can hold on and beat Tampa. KC is up 5-0.

Who would have thought that with us vs a good Miami team, and Tampa playing KC, that we could actually gain ground this weekend.

Next 3 days:  we have the Dodgers, Tampa is at Texas.

And then the Showdown in St Pete.