Treasurer of Maryland calls out the Orioles lease negotiations

Going Underground

I think he claimed that John is intentionally foot dragging. I have to admit I’m worried.

I use to call Peter, Sneaky Pete. I have no problem calling his son Slippery John.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he foot drags to the expiration and tries to move the team to Tennessee.

We already ready know he’s a habitual liar after the open the books comments and others promising interviews and going underwater.

Hopefully MLB would block any such thievery 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he foot drags to the expiration and tries to move the team to Tennessee.

Well the deadline is the end of the year.  They have no where to play in Nashville.  They have to build a stadium.  They are not moving.  

41 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Well the deadline is the end of the year.  They have no where to play in Nashville.  They have to build a stadium.  They are not moving.  

Exactly this. 

I've been to First Horizon Park (last time was in 2016 just before we moved back to Maryland from middle TN, it was nice to be able to go to pro ball games every once in a while during that time living out of state). It was very nice (was brand new at the time), but if I'm remembering correctly, it only seats somewhere in the range of 9k to 12k people. 

That would be a non-starter for MLB, as they'd need at least 2.5 to 3 times the seating to meet their standards for a major league team.  And I'm not remembering it having anywhere near enough expandable space for new seats to meet that kind of requirement.  Pretty sure this would be a non-starter, just like Accinfo said.

I guess they could try to Frankenstein a baseball field into Nissan Stadium as well, but I've been there too, and I don't really see a way they could do it and not have it be one of the ugliest, most-terrible-seating-arrangement fields in the history of baseball.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Did the Colts announce a place to play before moving to Indianapolis?

Two very different situations.  The Colts were looking at both Jacksonville and Indianapolis where there were football stadium's to play in right away.  As much as that pained me the State of MD didn't have a first class stadium plus another $600 million to add to it.  Baseball won't allow anyone to move until the Tampa stadium situation is resolved.  They also aren't going to allow John Angelos move the Orioles when he doesn't even own the team.  He runs it but his father owns the team.  I am not saying there is no senario where they couldn't move but not next year.  

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

Two very different situations.  The Colts were looking at both Jacksonville and Indianapolis where there were football stadium's to play in right away.  As much as that pained me the State of MD didn't have a first class stadium plus another $600 million to add to it.  Baseball won't allow anyone to move until the Tampa stadium situation is resolved.  They also aren't going to allow John Angelos move the Orioles when he doesn't even own the team.  He runs it but his father owns the team.  I am not saying there is no senario where they couldn't move but not next year.  

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

Well, I hope you are both right.

I’m not a local, an economist, into politics, or any kind of expert but this one seems easy to me.  John Angelo’s is trying to get every last dime before he agrees to this.  He hired lobbyists to do just that.   It’s going to happen but not before he gets every drop of blood from that rock.  It’s all  about money as usual but this team wasn’t and isn’t going anywhere else anytime soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I can't imagine a scenario where MLB allows John Angelos to move a successful team out of a prestige stadium situation, especially when the state is fully ready to invest in upgrading the facilities. They'd cut him off at the knees if he tried. The team isn't going anywhere in John's lifetime. I'm pretty sure MLB can't wait to be done with the Angelos experience.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think he claimed that John is intentionally foot dragging. I have to admit I’m worried.

He claimed that both the Stadium Authority and the Orioles were guilty of failing to get it done and be more transparent in their negotiations.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I’m not a local, an economist, into politics, or any kind of expert but this one seems easy to me.  John Angelo’s is trying to get every last dime before he agrees to this.  He hired lobbyists to do just that.   It’s going to happen but not before he gets every drop of blood from that rock.  It’s all  about money as usual but this team wasn’t and isn’t going anywhere else anytime soon.

This is exactly correct.   As Maryland taxpayers, we should be outraged.  As O’s fans, we should be happy that the state is subsidizing things that benefit the team economically.