Buyer beware- rentals

doccat

I remember at the time being distraught because the Orioles had such a hard time developing any SP prospects.   I was not liking the trade from the long term thinking.   I never thought we had enough prospects to shop them around for rentals.  And probably in the long term that team back in 2014 couldnt afford to give guys away.   But I can understand Duquette and Showalter and Peter Angelos all being in a win NOW mode.  Angelos and Duquette especially.  If the Orioles had won it all that year both of these two guys who get no respect at all would be looked at differently.  Alas it did not pan out.  

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Other than Pipeline, it's the only one with a recent update and Baseball America is behind a wall.

Fangraphs had Mayo at 35, and that was before the season started.

Outlets like Pipeline are conservative by nature and wouldn't rocket a player--who was known before the season started--from outside of the 100 to the top-25 within three months. They probably feel doing that would call into question their credibility because it begs the question as to where they were three months ago. So they're ostensibly making him "earn" a top-25 ranking through the end of this season, when in reality they're just late to the party and trying to save face by gradually bumping him up.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

We will see what they’re saying when the year is over.  Putting aside orange-colored glasses, Mayo’s performance is going to move him up considerably if it continues like it has gone so far, IMO.

• Upvote 1