Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Sign me up for the first 2 names most definitely!

I’m not sure why we would want to add another infielder. Gunnar is supposed to be back tomorrow, with him and Westburg/Ortiz what would Candelario’s role really be?

I know it's weird to add an infielder, but here's my thinking on Candelario:

-Gunnar moves to SS, Mateo is DFA
-Westburg and Frazier share 2B duties
-Candelario at 3B
-Urias is a full-on super UTIL bench guy
-OR, Urias is traded, and Ortiz comes up to be the super UTIL

But what Candelario adds that neither Urias nor Ortiz do is switch-hitting power. 16 bombs, he's gotten on base all year, he's a middle of the order guy right now whereas Urias is not that guy and Ortiz is not likely to be that guy this year. Obviously we hope he becomes that, but it's hard to count on him coming up here and providing great offensive numbers. 

Candelario is like adding another Santander to the lineup that desperately needs another impact bat IMO. 

Edited by interloper

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know it's weird to add an infielder, but here's my thinking on Candelario:

-Gunnar moves to SS, Mateo is DFA
-Westburg and Frazier share 2B duties
-Candelario at 3B
-Urias is a full-on super UTIL bench guy
-OR, Urias is traded, and Ortiz comes up to be the super UTIL

But what Candelario adds that neither Urias nor Ortiz do is switch-hitting power. 16 bombs, he's gotten on base all year, he's a middle of the order guy right now whereas Urias is not that guy and Ortiz is not likely to be that guy this year. Obviously we hope he becomes that, but it's hard to count on him coming up here and providing great offensive numbers. 

Candelario is like adding another Santander to the lineup that desperately needs another impact bat IMO. 

I don’t think it is the best utilization to platoon a top 100 prospect like Westburg. 

Also, I don’t think it is a good utilization of our org assets to trade away prospects simply to add “decent” players. We have top prospects at AAA who profile as potential elite middle of the order hitters. I can’t see a rationalization to add position players “who are like Santander” when we already have this type of optional talent stockpile.

I don’t disagree with adding hitting talent per se, but it needs to be in the very good to elite category. Otherwise, it’s best to role what we have.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think it is the best utilization to platoon a top 100 prospect like Westburg. 

Also, I don’t think it is a good utilization of our org assets to trade away prospects simply to add “decent” players. We have top prospects at AAA who profile as potential elite middle of the order hitters. I can’t see a rationalization to add position players “who are like Santander” when we already have this type of optional talent stockpile.

I don’t disagree with adding hitting talent per se, but it needs to be in the very good to elite category. Otherwise, it’s best to role what we have.

So don't platoon 2B then. Frazier is a bench guy. 

You're adding a rental bat who is assured of being able to provide offense. I'm sorry but as much as I love all the prospects, you can't count on them to be middle of the order hitters this season. Next year, sure, when they are all given a lot more time to adjust. 

In this scenario, you are still playing Westburg and Cowser nearly every day. Ortiz as a bench possibility. Kjerstad can still come up in September. And you're doing all of that while adding another 16-homer bat to the lineup. You're having your cake and eating it, too! 

Just my take. 

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s YOUR opinion that’s why it’s hard to grasp. MY opinion is that we should be trying to improve the team this season without surrendering any future cornerstone players. 

You don’t understand we don’t have to agree right? 

It's not my opinion, it's the plan that Elias and the front office have carefully explained to you time and time again. It's fine to disagree and speculate, but opinions should at least be rooted in some degree of reality. 

Snell / Hader is the package deal we need to be targeting right now in my mind.  If Elias was serious about his comments to improve the club to make a deep run in the playoffs then this is the move.  Hader becomes a lock down 8th inning guy pushing Cano up to the 7th.  Snell takes over a spot in the rotation pushing someone like Wells or Gibson to the pen, further improving it.

I don't know what this package cost in terms of prospects but if we can get it done without giving up top tier guys then lets do it.

Norby, Basallo, Stowers, Lottery ticket.  Conversation worthy? Too much? Too little?

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Snell / Hader is the package deal we need to be targeting right now in my mind.  If Elias was serious about his comments to improve the club to make a deep run in the playoffs then this is the move.  Hader becomes a lock down 8th inning guy pushing Cano up to the 7th.  Snell takes over a spot in the rotation pushing someone like Wells or Gibson to the pen, further improving it.

I don't know what this package cost in terms of prospects but if we can get it done without giving up top tier guys then lets do it.

Norby, Basallo, Stowers, Lottery ticket.  Conversation worthy? Too much? Too little?

Ya, Snell / Hader looks to be right in our wheelhouse, but I’m not sure our available prospects align with their needs. The Padres seem pretty well set at 3B, 2B, and SS so I assume they’d have minimal interest in Norby, Ortiz, or Westburg as headliners in a trade. Obviously we can put something together that doesn’t involve our surplus infielders but I’d rather not. 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

All you guys thinking that Snell/Hader is a possibility for us are fooling yourselves and you know it.

Why? Based on our record we should be one of the more aggressive buyers at the deadline.  Snell and Hader fill a need.  They are both rentals, so while not cheap I don't think the cost would be crippling. 

Look I am not saying this is an all in year but it is almost August and we have one of the best records in all of baseball.  Why shouldn't Elias make a run at a couple guys that fill some holes and could make us better?

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

All you guys thinking that Snell/Hader is a possibility for us are fooling yourselves and you know it.

I tend to think one or more rentals for blocked prospects is exactly the kind of move that would be both Elias and Angelos' wheelhouse.

No long term investment, makes the fan base happy, and meaningfully moves the needle for the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

That would be a tough one, but I'd probably do it. Would hate to move Basallo though and would try to get them to take someone else.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I tend to think one or more rentals for blocked prospects is exactly the kind of move that would be both Elias and Angelos' wheelhouse.

No long term investment, makes the fan base happy, and meaningfully moves the needle for the playoffs.

Rentals for prospects, yes. These particular rentals, I doubt it. 

Elias will look for guys who aren't involved in massive bidding wars IMO.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Rentals for prospects, yes. These particular rentals, I doubt it. 

Elias will look for guys who aren't involved in massive bidding wars IMO.

Maybe.  We'll see.  If we make a trade for a player that's not involved in a massive bidding war then we're not really relieving our backlog of prospects in the middle infield, either, because there aren't any rentals worth giving up those guys.

Maybe the Cubs change their minds and decide to deal Bellinger?  There is a lot less talk about him.  Maybe he won't attract the same kind of bidding war that others would, and the team's injuries have created a need for someone like him.

Edited by Hallas

16 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Why? Based on our record we should be one of the more aggressive buyers at the deadline.  Snell and Hader fill a need.  They are both rentals, so while not cheap I don't think the cost would be crippling. 

Look I am not saying this is an all in year but it is almost August and we have one of the best records in all of baseball.  Why shouldn't Elias make a run at a couple guys that fill some holes and could make us better?

I never said he shouldn't make a run.