Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I can see Wells back in the rotation at some point but my bet is he is in the pen during the playoffs. 

I think the other way.  He's much more shut down at the top, and I imagine they'll only give him three innings knowing in the playoffs, you have the bullpen rested behind him.

18 minutes ago, Malike said:

They do get him for 2 years after this, at least. I wouldn't have given up that much, but the Rays are in their window before guys get too expensive to keep around, I guess.

Then go get someone good. Civale will probably be fine and maybe they think they can get more Ks and swing and miss out of him but the pitcher he is now is nothing special and doesn’t really move the needle.

They are in a similar position as us, they need innings but still.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

There was a reason the Mets are sellers and it's not because Scherzer and Verlander were at their best. Verlander has pitched well of late, but at 40-uears old, the Mets would have to eat a lot of that contract over the next few years or be willing to take a prospect like Hudson Haskins in return in a salary dump. Then the question is, do any of us think John Angelos, who is making money hand over fist right now, would greenlight trading for a 40-year old pitcher who is owed $43,333,333 next year with a $35,000,000 vested option that kicks in at 140 innings?

None of this sounds like the M.O. for this organization or Elias.

Understand the Angelos part, but would you part with only Hudson Haskin if it meant you could get Verlander for 1.5-2.5 years?  Knowing he wouldn't sign here as a FA

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

There was a reason the Mets are sellers and it's not because Scherzer and Verlander were at their best. Verlander has pitched well of late, but at 40-uears old, the Mets would have to eat a lot of that contract over the next few years or be willing to take a prospect like Hudson Haskins in return in a salary dump. Then the question is, do any of us think John Angelos, who is making money hand over fist right now, would greenlight trading for a 40-year old pitcher who is owed $43,333,333 next year with a $35,000,000 vested option that kicks in at 140 innings?

I mean, I never suggested they should do that or would. I suggested that Cohen would likely eat the necessary money to get a real prospect from someone for Verlander.

Just now, Malike said:

I mean, I never suggested they should do that or would. I suggested that Cohen would likely eat the necessary money to get a real prospect from someone for Verlander.

I think he would too. He can't just give him away as a pure salary dump. The optics would not look good after all the money he spent.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Then go get someone good. Civale will probably be fine and maybe they think they can get more Ks and swing and miss out of him but the pitcher he is now is nothing special and doesn’t really move the needle.

They are in a similar position as us, they need innings but still.

I'm sure they looked at EdRod and probably got told to pound sand for the offer they made. If a top-40 prospect gets you Civale and the Rays bite, then I'm pretty sure that they know the market. They didn't become the model of baseball teams everywhere by making dumb decisions and not knowing the market.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I think he would too. He can't just give him away as a pure salary dump. The optics would not look good after all the money he spent.

Exactly, but he strikes me as a can't shame the shameless type of owner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Understand the Angelos part, but would you part with only Hudson Haskin if it meant you could get Verlander for 1.5-2.5 years?  Knowing he wouldn't sign here as a FA

As low as the Orioles payroll is, yes, I would do that. But I think Cohen would rather eat money and get a real return of prospects.   

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nor should it be.   If they are going to trade prospects, it better not be for some guy who could be doing it with smoke and mirrors right now.   I know Verlander has the pedigree, but is he that much better than a guy like Flaherty or Lorenzen at this point?

Edited by clapdiddy

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Everyone else is making panic moves.  Meanwhile Elias waits until he’s the last man standing and can choose between ERod, Lorenzen, and Flaherty.

Sometimes it certainly makes sense to wait. I can only imagine the stress Elias must be under with the clock ticking and knowing he needs to make some upgrades in pitching.

Cohen has bought Trevor Gott by paying Flexen salary, and bought Luisangel Acuna by paying Scherzer salary.

Whether buying or selling, it seems clear he wants to leverage money to acquire talent.

It seems like that might make him a natural partner with a cash poor Club that has a lot of talent....

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Sometimes it certainly makes sense to wait. I can only imagine the stress Elias must be under with the clock ticking and knowing he needs to make some upgrades in pitching.

And also with John Angelos hanging out with him at games!  :)