Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

18 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Don’t burn it all down for two months.  If these teams want a top 100 for Verlander, move on. Bring Hall up, put him in the pen, and let him pump 93 if you have to. 

Yusniel Díaz was a top 100 player.  You aren’t burning it all down by sending a few of them away for someone or someone’s. There is a lot of redundancy and players like Ortiz need to go somewhere other than sit in AAA. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Don’t burn it all down for two months.  If these teams want a top 100 for Verlander, move on. Bring Hall up, put him in the pen, and let him pump 93 if you have to. 

Hall’s problem isn’t velocity…it’s his control, BB/9, and his ERA. I find it laughable that people just like last year expect him to be the savior. He’s one guy I’d deal if there’s interest because I think he’s a bust.

8 hours ago, TheWall said:

Our ownership would probably prefer that he opt out. 

Are we talking about ERod?   Assuming they were serious about Bassitt and company last year, I think they’d be quite happy with a 3/49 on ERod.

5 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Yusniel Díaz was a top 100 player.  You aren’t burning it all down by sending a few of them away for someone or someone’s. There is a lot of redundancy and players like Ortiz need to go somewhere other than sit in AAA. 

You can hate on Elias for not being willing to trade top 100 prospects for rentals. I have zero interest in trading any of them for Verlander. Angelos isn’t paying his salary and sending good prospects with 5 years of control is not wise. Part of trading prospects is knowing which to deal and which you think are winners. I have no problem with Holiday, Kjerstad, Mayo, and a couple others being on the untouchables list.

I would trade one of my nearly untouchables in a package to Seattle for Gilbert.

My Proposal 

Logan Gilbert (controlled through 2027)
Paul Seawald (controlled through 2024)

for 

Kjerstad

Norby

Hall

Watson/Denoyer

Ardoin

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You can hate on Elias for not being willing to trade top 100 prospects for rentals. I have zero interest in trading any of them for Verlander. Angelos isn’t paying his salary and sending good prospects with 5 years of control is not wise. Part of trading prospects is knowing which to deal and which you think are winners. I have no problem with Holiday, Kjerstad, Mayo, and a couple others being on the untouchables list.

I would trade one of my nearly untouchables in a package to Seattle for Gilbert.

My Proposal 

for 

Kjerstad

Norby

Hall

Watson/Denoyer

Ardoin

You’re behind the times.  Seward was traded to Arizona.

28 minutes ago, sevastras said:

yeah he needs to be on the MLB roster after they deal Mateo for a washing machine. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

So who gives him the best chance of winning over the next two years between the Astros, Dodgers and O's? If the O's were not his first choice but we offered the Mets the best deal would or could he be persuaded to waive his no trade clause to come to Baltimore?

Sounds to me like Verlander is going to pick his destination. Which is great for whoever that is, they might be able to get a slight discount.

I don’t see Verlander picking the O’s over those teams though.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Norby is the one you trade.  Unless you are getting one of the Seattle pitchers, Ortiz should stay. 

Edited by baltfan
  • Upvote 1

Wish there were more rumblings of the Birds being interested in Keller and Bednar. Similar to the Snell/Hader double dip but both guys with years of control and not just strictly rentals. Obviously would cost more in prospect capital, but as long as it’s not Holliday then take your pick(s). 

43 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My Proposal 

for 

Kjerstad

Norby

Hall

Watson/Denoyer

Ardoin

Sewald is already traded, to Arizona

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/paul-sewald-trade-diamondbacks-to-acquire-mariners-closer-in-four-player-deal/

12 minutes ago, Don_Aase_Fan said:

Wish there were more rumblings of the Birds being interested in Keller and Bednar. Similar to the Snell/Hader double dip but both guys with years of control and not just strictly rentals. Obviously would cost more in prospect capital, but as long as it’s not Holliday then take your pick(s). 

I don’t think the Pirates are that interested in trading them. 

Verlander's 2025 vesting option is attainable, so he could become a 2.4 year acquisition for whoever gets him.

Whatever the outcome ends up, process wise its nice BAL isn't auto rumor eliminated vs HOU-LAD.

LAD has a drag in that they are trying to reset for Ohtani, and are close to a tax threshold.    With Friedman, Verlander today knows fair chance he spends much of the rest of his career with Shohei (and Kershaw and Mookie and Freddie).

HOU v. BAL a Rohrschach of how strong you think these new and established teams are.     Who's window is open wider for 2023, and 2023-2025?     Crane or Angelos?

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Is he better right now than ERod?  How much better than Lorenzen?  Their stats don’t suggest there is a wide gap.

Lets not forget that he’s not a great postseason pitcher, especially in the WS.

Oh and he’s signed for next year and not likely to be better than this year.

There are scenarios where I would deal for him and hope that just what he brings mentor wise to GRod could be worth it but I’m guessing what I would trade wouldn’t get him.

The playoff numbers are a good point. Not a small sample size either.