Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

One thing I'd not really considered before is that the lack of pitching prospects could be hurting us during the trading deadline.  It seems most teams seek pitching as part of their return... at least that's the speculation. With pitching at a premium, it does make sense.  

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Elias does not seem an "all in" type of GM.  With his already established idea the Orioles will be a draft and development team I see him looking to make trades that help us in the long term.  I think he will not over spend for a rental. 

He also said we were going to start "spending" in the off season and we did not get much.  This makes me believe his talk of "buying"  at the deadline will be frugal and well thought.  Maybe even bargain basement type moves. 

IMO the problem with this is that you can’t be a “draft and develop” team solely if you only do it for position players but refuse to draft/develop pitching. While our prospect stock is wonderfully deep and talented, it is unbalanced. We simply do not have the requisite pitching talent within the org to sustain longterm winning. That’s going to have to change. 

It’s wonderful to have so many top prospects but we can’t play 3 guys at the same position. We have too much at some places and not enough at others. Trades must balance things out to a degree. Because right now there is no place to put all these guys.

Eduardo's a good pitcher, but for the market we're in, I think the 3/49 bill due if anything breaks bad is more of a poison pill for us than some other Clubs.

LAA Giolito is fun as Arte sticking his thumb in the Dodgers eye.    But that somewhat unexpected demand and a high price point for a rental pushes LAD, TBR, BAL and whoever else down their options lists.    Roch might need to flesh out his Michael Lorenzen skeleton a little bit.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Eduardo's a good pitcher, but for the market we're in, I think the 3/49 bill due if anything breaks bad is more of a poison pill for us than some other Clubs.

LAA Giolito is fun as Arte sticking his thumb in the Dodgers eye.    But that somewhat unexpected demand and a high price point for a rental pushes LAD, TBR, BAL and whoever else down their options lists.    Roch might need to flesh out his Michael Lorenzen skeleton a little bit.

If Giolito costs 2 prospect (1 top hundred 60’s) then we should most certainly be able to get Eduardo for a slightly higher price (Norby, Povich, Stowers type of price point)?

Take Ortiz and get a good reliever with a few years of control. And then I think we are ready to rock and role.

At those costs we have retained all longer term pieces, helped ourselves for this year immensely, and are still in great shape down the line.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO the problem with this is that you can’t be a “draft and develop” team solely if you only do it for position players but refuse to draft/develop pitching. While our prospect stock is wonderfully deep and talented, it is unbalanced. We simply do not have the requisite pitching talent within the org to sustain longterm winning. That’s going to have to change. 

It’s wonderful to have so many top prospects but we can’t play 3 guys at the same position. We have too much at some places and not enough at others. Trades must balance things out to a degree. Because right now there is no place to put all these guys.

I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult to grasp the concept that the VETERANS are guys they should be trading (and probably will) in the offseason and the PROSPECTS are who will be replacing them. Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, etc, should all be shopped and traded in the offseason. Maybe even Mullins too, depending on the return. There's not going to be a logjam once they trade those guys. 

14 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult to grasp the concept that the VETERANS are guys they should be trading (and probably will) in the offseason and the PROSPECTS are who will be replacing them. Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, etc, should all be shopped and traded in the offseason. Maybe even Mullins too, depending on the return. There's not going to be a logjam once they trade those guys. 

That’s YOUR opinion that’s why it’s hard to grasp. MY opinion is that we should be trying to improve the team this season without surrendering any future cornerstone players. 

You don’t understand we don’t have to agree right? 

I don’t get the thinking on Eduardo Rodriguez.  He’s not accepting a 3/49 option unless he has career threatening surgery or TJ between now and the end of the year.   That’s the risk if you get him.   Otherwise, he’s declining that option and should be treated solely as a rental which I think is the 90% or more probability.   He’s still young, LH, and has looked really good this year.  He’s in line for a much more lucrative contract than 3/49 this off-season.   Of all of the pitchers I’ve watched, Snell, Giolito, etc. he has been the most impressive because he has the best combination of stuff plus command.  Because he likely opts out and the Tigers get nothing he shouldn’t cost a lot, same as Giolito and Snell.   Elias is cheap in two ways and the Fujinami deal was a perfect example.   He’s looking to give up the least amount in money and prospects.   The Tigers should be a good match because they have a lot of young injured pitching coming back but don’t seem especially deep in position prospects.   The only fly in the ointment is a bad injury before the end of the season and that 3/49 option.  As cheap as the O’s are that might be enough to point them towards Stroman or someone else.

• Upvote 2

The price for a Snell/Hader package is going to be crazy high after what the White Sox got for Giolito/Lopez. Norby+ is not going to get it done.

However, if Snell/Hader are your top FA targets this off-season and you’re willing to give them strong enough deals to keep them from hitting FA, maybe that changes the equation? Maybe enough to consider Ortiz or Basallo?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t get the thinking on Eduardo Rodriguez.  He’s not accepting a 3/49 option unless he has career threatening surgery or TJ between now and the end of the year.   That’s the risk if you get him.   Otherwise, he’s declining that option and should be treated solely as a rental which I think is the 90% or more probability.   He’s still young, LH, and has looked really good this year.  He’s in line for a much more lucrative contract than 3/49 this off-season.   Of all of the pitchers I’ve watched, Snell, Giolito, etc. he has been the most impressive because he has the best combination of stuff plus command.  Because he likely opts out and the Tigers get nothing he shouldn’t cost a lot, same as Giolito and Snell.   Elias is cheap in two ways and the Fujinami deal was a perfect example.   He’s looking to give up the least amount in money and prospects.   The Tigers should be a good match because they have a lot of young injured pitching coming back but don’t seem especially deep in position prospects.   The only fly in the ointment is a bad injury before the end of the season and that 3/49 option.  As cheap as the O’s are that might be enough to point them towards Stroman or someone else.

Good breakdown here. Rodriguez is the guy I want as well. He'd basically be what you hoped to get out of Means if he were healthy, a nice command-forward veteran lefty who gets the job done. And then if you do get Means back, there's no real pressure for him to perform like some kind of miracle ace post-TJ. 

But like you said, the Orioles operate from a risk-assessment point of view, especially monetarily. I think the injury would have to be fairly severe involving surgery for him to accept the option. I guess it depends on how much risk the ownership group is willing to take on. 

Also - it's hard to believe he's still only 30. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

My miracle trade deadline wish list for the O's:

SP - Eduardo Rodriguez
RP - David Bednar
3B - Jeimer Candelario

Sign me up for the first 2 names most definitely!

I’m not sure why we would want to add another infielder. Gunnar is supposed to be back tomorrow, with him and Westburg/Ortiz what would Candelario’s role really be?

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agree he is probably the best that may be on the market but the risk of cost, injury (I believe, but maybe wrong, that his injury this year makes the risk a bit higher), and what it would take to pull the trigger even with ownership not willing to take the monetary risk that could increase our chances now and in short playoff series.