Matz? In a McCann-type deal?

Orange

Just saw this on MLBTradeRumors.com and thought it was interesting. I've been thinking that the O's would like to grab two starters, one who is having a nice season plus one as a veteran fallback option that could maybe eat innings if needed, but otherwise work out of the pen or Norfolk:

"Most of the trade speculation about Cardinals pitching has focused on Jack Flaherty and Jordan Montgomery, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that an unknown American League club has considered acquiring Steven Matz.  The mystery team would use Matz as “rotation insurance or bullpen upgrade.”  Matz is still owed the remainder of his $10MM salary for 2023 as well as $24MM in 2024-25, and it seems like the Cardinals would have to eat a good chunk of that money to accommodate a deal.  Matz has struggled in both years of his original four-year, $44MM contract with St. Louis, but after losing his rotation job earlier this season, he has pitched considerably better since a move to the bullpen and a recent return to the starting five.  Matz has a 2.93 ERA over his last 30 2/3 innings and 11 appearances."

• Upvote 2

He's a 32-year-old lefty who pitched great in 2021 with Toronto and is doing well this year in the St. Louis bullpen... Under contract for 2.5 years for about $28M. If the Cards kick in ~$15M maybe we deal a redundant guy for him. Like a Prieto? Maybe another mid-level guy too?

• Upvote 2

There’s 34M left on his contract between this year and next and you guys think there’s a snowballs chance in hell the Cardinals would eat so much money to make this work?   Whaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

There’s 34M left on his contract between this year and next and you guys think there’s a snowballs chance in hell the Cardinals would eat so much money to make this work?   Whaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

You trade a controllable player for the money. Makes sense to me.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Smells like something Elias would consider.

100% feels like an Elias deal. You can almost sense the salt-and-pepper hair and rakishly unbuttoned dress shirt lurking around this one.

Current market value depressed by overall poor year ☑️

Recent results much improved on every level ☑️

Ability to balance money vs. prospect return ☑️

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

You trade a controllable player for the money. Makes sense to me.

Please explain a type of deal you’d foresee.  I don’t see one in any version of reality that I can think of.   The Cardinals aren’t eating 30M to get a better prospect in the deal.  Matz, even with tons of money thrown in isn’t any good as a starter or dominant as a reliever.    It makes ZERO sense unless your a St. Louis fan or beat writer thinking of ways to get rid of Matz.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Please explain a type of deal you’d foresee.  I don’t see one in any version of reality that I can think of.   The Cardinals aren’t eating 30M to get a better prospect in the deal.  Matz, even with tons of money thrown in isn’t any good as a starter or dominant as a reliever.    It makes ZERO sense unless your a St. Louis fan or beat writer thinking of ways to get rid of Matz.

I'm just explaining how the deal would work. I'd need to do a deep dive to see if this was a viable trade. It really is similar to the McCann deal and it depends if the Cardinals are strapped and want to use the cash they'd save for 2024 for a prospect. If he's trending upwards, it might be a way to use our bevy of talent to upgrade our bullpen. But also, check out my substack at Oriolesfan123 to read the full breakdown later.

The quote from the source said they owe the remainder of his $10M this year plus $24M... so that's about $28M. I think they'd pay around $15M and we would deal a Prieto, or a Stowers, etc. Plus some C-level filler.

• Thanks 1

This is a scenario where veterans with FA deals kind of just become numbers on a balance sheet.

Matz and Montgomery together perhaps net to zero value, but decorum requires Garrett Stallings or somebody makes it "a trade".

The big question for Mozeliak is are you letting the Dodgers catch your ear on Arenado, or anyone catch your ear on Goldschmidt?     I heard a podcast mention the Twins as suitors for both those corner boppers.

If we end up acquiring a Matz type pitcher, I won't take it as good John Means news.

Some of how I'd describe the difference between Irvin and Matz is I think healed Means has an easy path outpitching Irvin next spring, but Matz could make him sweat.

Figuring Bradish-Grayson-Wells-Kremer are first four of course.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

The quote from the source said they owe the remainder of his $10M this year plus $24M... so that's about $28M. I think they'd pay around $15M and we would deal a Prieto, or a Stowers, etc. Plus some C-level filler.

So we’d pay 9M towards a guy who sucked in their rotation and give up a B type prospect?    And the Cardinals pay 15M to us as well to cover most of his contract.    Sounds like fantasyland to me.