Matz? In a McCann-type deal?

Orange

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So we’d pay 9M towards a guy who sucked in their rotation and give up a B type prospect?    And the Cardinals pay 15M to us as well to cover most of his contract.    Sounds like fantasyland to me.  

Yeah you're probably right. Matz doesn't have overpowering stuff and while we need lefties, we need someone a bit more dynamic than a 92-96 mph guy. I do like that is a groundball pitcher however. 

I think I have to pass on Matz despite the desire to acquire LH arms.  He's consistently allowed over 1 hit per IP and has allowed 1.4 HR/9 career playing in some decent pitcher's parks.

I think if the O's take him they essentially trade nothing in terms of a prospect and the Cards eat some salary.  This is a pure cash dump for the Cards.  I really hate to think this might happen, but would the Orioles essentially sell a redundant prospect for cash using such a deal?  So Prieto goes, the Cards pick up $20M of $28M or the Cards offer an alternative where the Orioles give a player to be named later that is not expected to be good but take $21M of the $28M cost of Matz?  Essentially, this would mean Prieto is sold for $13M.

Elias has to play within parameters he's given, but I truly hate selling prospects.

If your gonna do that type of deal i would much rather see if the Mets would do a similar type deal with Jose Quintanna as he has just 1 year left but 13 million owed next season.  That would fit more in with the Elias plan of a 1 year type deal.  He will be owed about 18 million for this year and next.  Would the Mets be interested in taking on 6 million of that and we would just have 12 million of it.  He has been a better pitcher lately and you are on the hook for one less year.  He could basically be the replacement for Gibson next season as the veteran pitcher.   

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

100% feels like an Elias deal. You can almost sense the salt-and-pepper hair and rakishly unbuttoned dress shirt lurking around this one.

Current market value depressed by overall poor years ☑️

Recent results much improved on every level ☑️

Ability to balance money vs. prospect return ☑️

I fixed your original post. Poor "years" (made it plural). And is team control really a selling point when the player in question is not good? I'm not epecting an Ohtani trade, but I feel like they can/should be able to do better than Matz without sellng the farm. Just trade for a better pitcher (or at least one with more upside), who's a two month rental. and solve the longer term SP problem via free agency or another trade in the offseason. That's how I would approach it. 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'm not epecting an Ohtani trade, but I feel like they can/should be able to do better than Matz without sellng the farm. Just trade for a better pitcher (or at least one with more upside), who's a two month rental. and solve the longer term SP problem via free agency or another trade in the offseason. That's how I would approach it.

I think that’s what we’re all hoping for. I know I am. 

But I also know that this is the third major opportunity (after the 2022 Deadline and this past offseason) they’ve really had to add outside talent to a good team. And the first two times, well, let’s just say their level of aggression in adding major veteran players has not quite matched the desires of the fanbase.

Every journalist with access to a keyboard is falling all over themselves to discuss the apparent reality that (a) not many teams are sold on selling and (b) more than half the league is heavily in the market for pitching. If the Cubs pull Stroman off the market, who are the rental SPs you’d be willing to duel with the big boys to land? 

And for whom do you expect Elias will be similarly willing to jump into those auctions?

Edited by e16bball

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think that’s what we’re all hoping for. I know I am. 

But I also know that this is the third major opportunity (after the 2022 Deadline and this past offseason) they’ve really had to add outside talent to a good team. And the first two times, well, let’s just say their level of aggression in adding major veteran players has not quite matched the desires of the fanbase.

Every journalist with access to a keyboard is falling all over themselves to discuss the apparent reality that (a) not many teams are sold on selling and (b) more than half the league is heavily in the market for pitching. If the Cubs pull Stroman off the market, who are the rental SPs you’d be willing to duel with the big boys to land?

I think Montgomery would probably be the worst case scenerio I'd be ok with (and Snell would be best case). Assuming the Padres fall out of contention.