Which players/prospects would you be okay with trading?

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

After reading through this thread, I have changed my mind on Kjerstad.  If he can be the centerpiece of a trade for a good controllable starter, let's do it.  I think he's going to hit 30-40 HR a year with a good OBP, but this team doesn't have room for a full-time DH going forward, given that we want Adley's bat in the lineup every day.  

Elias also places a premium on defensive ability and flexibility, so I think Norby and Kjerstad are the two most likely big names to be traded, along with side pieces like Prieto and Stowers.  

I think we have to look further into the future on Kjerstad.    Mullins and Hays will be in their walk year in 2025 so they probably are traded after the 2024 season.    The 2025 outfielders may be Cowser, Kjerstad and maybe Barfield if he progresses quickly. So I would not trade Kjerstad any time soon.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not with you on this one.   I think Elias keeps Hays and Mullins as his veteran presence through 2024 and trades Santander rather than sign him to a 4 or 5 year contract.    Cowser and Kjerstad replacing Santander.  Its kind of what Elias has been setting up with the development of the farm system.

Mayo profiles as a big bat that probably fits at 1B sometime next season.  O'Hearn will be in his walk year next year so he either signs a one year contract with an option year or they trade him.  I think he would be happy to sign and stay.  Mountcastle is a question depending on how long Elias thinks it will take to develop Mayo as a 1B.   

Both Mayo and Holliday appear to me to have bats that are ahead of their gloves.   Neither has to be rushed to the majors at the beginning of 2024.  We will see.

Elias isn’t signing Hays or Santander to an extension.  I think Santander fits better.  Just pay him year to year until he walks or they decide the price is too high and he’s replaceable.  I’m certainly not looking to move Mayo but I would if it made sense.   

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias isn’t signing Hays or Santander to an extension.  I think Santander fits better.  Just pay him year to year until he walks or they decide the price is too high and he’s replaceable.  I’m certainly not looking to move Mayo but I would if it made sense.   

I don't see Elias allowing Santander to become a free agent and walk with him getting nothing back.   Nor so I see Elias extending him for 4 or 5 year which is what it will take to keep him from becoming a free agent.   By trading Santander this off season he can get a Bundy type of return (Bradish).   Maybe 4 minor league pitchers.  This is IMO how Elias bring pitching into the system.   

That is Elias MO.   Bundy for 4 pitches.  Lopez for 4 pitchers including Cano and Povich.   Mancini for Johnson and McDermott.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Elias allowing Santander to become a free agent and walk with him getting nothing back.   Nor so I see Elias extending him for 4 or 5 year which is what it will take to keep him from becoming a free agent.   By trading Santander this off season he can get a Bundy type of return (Bradish).   Maybe 4 minor league pitchers.  This is IMO how Elias bring pitching into the system.   

That is Elias MO.   Bundy for 4 pitches.  Lopez for 4 pitchers including Cano and Povich.   Mancini for Johnson and McDermott.

Let’s agree to disagree.  I disagree.  Lol

He made the right call on Mancini.  Different circumstances and player with Santander.   I say he stays.  You say he goes.   We’ll check back in on this one.   

No trade Holliday, Mayo, Povich, Kjerstad, Cowser, or Basallo.  I would trade any of the rest of them including Westburg as I don't think there is much difference between him and Ortiz.  Povich's peripherals are too interesting for me to take the chance of trading him.  

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Let’s agree to disagree.  I disagree.  Lol

He made the right call on Mancini.  Different circumstances and player with Santander.   I say he stays.  You say he goes.   We’ll check back in on this one.   

OK, to be continued this off season.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

But Gibson 10m, Frazier 8m, Santander 7.4m, Givens 5m, Mateo 2m and Voth 1.85m are probably gone next season.   That is 34.25m

Hi WC,

I meant that ME has to be concerned that he's got Adley/Gunnar/Cowser/Westburg/Rodriquez/Bautista/starterHolliday?/Kjerstadt plus others all hitting Arb years and the FA with 2 years of each other.   There will be trades and attrition but that uptick is going to be huge and how he  manages it is IMO the second largest challenge other than ownership facing the franchise.  My larger point is that exercises like this while fun operate in a vacuum, Elias's is very different.  But, I think I am "preaching" to the crowd in that regard!!

These are my absolute keepers….Henderson, Rutschman, Cowser, Westburg, Rodriguez, Holliday, Kjerstad, and Hall. I only add Hall because I think he’s lost all trade value and I just prefer to keep the lottery ticket in case he figures it out. 

My prefer to keep, but willing to trade…Ortiz, Basallo, and all pitching in the system

So as far as everyone else…I’m completely okay with moving. Notable players that I think are redundant in this organization but could bring back someone noteworthy include Mayo, Norby, Beavers, Prieto, Wagner, and Fabian. All different values, but good players. Maybe couple one of these guys I listed along with a major league piece like Santander, Hays, Mullins, Urias, or Mountcastle and just see where talks go. Though, I will say that I’m growing to feel like Urias is an important super utility piece to keep around for a bit. Hays is a good sell high candidate, Mountcastle has been playing well since he returned and maybe should be given another chance before selling low. But Santander should definitely be shopped this offseason, especially since Ohtani will be the primary DH (not really but it’s a cool thought).

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think we have to look further into the future on Kjerstad.    Mullins and Hays will be in their walk year in 2025 so they probably are traded after the 2024 season.    The 2025 outfielders may be Cowser, Kjerstad and maybe Barfield if he progresses quickly. So I would not trade Kjerstad any time soon.

We may need a RF soon, but the reports in this thread suggest that Kjerstad will be hard pressed to cut it defensively in RF or 1B.  

16 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Where does Mike Elias intend to play Jackson Holliday if he's got Joey Ortiz, Gunnar Henderson, Jordan Westburg, and Coby Mayo? Connor Norby?

I mean you can't play them all at SS/2B. Can't hoard them all either. They will be too old.

Holliday, most likely, doesn't arrive until mid-year next season, at the earliest.   A trade is very likely, with Norby the most probable to be dealt. 
Mayo is not a good defender at 3B from what I've gathered, but has a big arm and may eventually be able to play 1B or RF.  
Unless he's traded, I like Ortiz at SS, with Gunnar at 3B and Westburg at 2B.  When Holliday arrives, we'll know where they think he best fits defensively and it'll sort itself out.