Can someone tell me what Cowser needs to do better?

kidrock

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think Cowser will be fine, eventually. He looks like he doesn’t believe he belongs just yet. I don’t like him in CF, but he isn’t awful. At the plate, he looks very passive. I like that he is letting it travel and being patient, but he has to be a bit more assertive and look to pull a little more. At least, be more gap to gap. Everything I can remember has been to LF. Some hard hit balls, though. 

The COF is actually more difficult to play than CF, IMO. The reads are much easier in CF, less balls slicing away or hooking, and no tricky corners in general. CF needs someone with range/speed, but the COF takes more skill as an OF to be good out there. 

He has nothing left to prove in the minors. 

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

His dWAR is -4.5, and his oWAR which I'm much less concerned with is -2.7. His DRS is -4 and that's with only 30 putouts. If it were Aaron Hicks playing that poorly, we'd be gathering the pitchforks, he's been very bad in the field, even on routine plays. His UZR/150 is -25.2. -39.3 in CF, -19.4 in RF. I get that he's had to adjust at each level, but a guy who is going to be an above-average COF or defender, usually shows something after 140 innings where you go, oh I see it.

As you know there are adjustments but not to this magnitude.  Look, when guys aren't hitting (especially OF's who have more time) stew over it in the field and it affects their defense.  I think that is the case here because I cannot reconcile his performance with scouting reports. 

Cowser is fluid and moves well but as a CF he's taken at least two balls I've seen that the RF (Hayes) was better positioned for throws.  Even when it's his ball he fails to properly support his arm.  His throws-even to the cut off man aren't crisp, he bounced one last night.  Forget about "not trying to airmail" as someone noted in a previous post-his job is to hit the cut off man on a line. in the air, in the chest-not to think.  As a rookie if he's not showing off his arm he likely doesn't have one.

I am of the opinion hitting and maybe fielding will take care off himself but I can't think of another prospect I have found so disappointing defensively.  Conversely look at the attached sequence from Kjerstad last night, not just the throw-the fundamentals that lead to the throw.  

https://www.milb.com/norfolk/video/heston-kjerstad-s-amazing-throw?t=t568-default-vtp

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Be patient as well as the club be patient.  He has hit balls  hard that were caught, so I think he will be all right.  However, it is tough to get on the job training in the midst of his team going for a chance to play in Oct.  Also he might not have found his best position yet.  Very hard to be patient with him in this situation when every game is so big.  If it were April, much easier.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has nothing left to prove in the minors. 

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s a reminder that he has plenty to prove in the majors.

You’re both right, IMO. Does he go in a trade? I doubt it. Does he go back down to AAA when Hicks and Mullins come back? We’ll see. The offense has really struggled since Mullins going back on the IL. Cowser has not given us much at this point. It may not be much more than a numbers thing and who is actually productive. 

2 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I think his hitting will come around be he looks like a liability on defense.

Looks tentative offensively and defensively.  He’s known as a very relaxed, confident player but I think he needs to adjust a bit.   

50 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think Cowser will be fine, eventually. He looks like he doesn’t believe he belongs just yet. I don’t like him in CF, but he isn’t awful. At the plate, he looks very passive. I like that he is letting it travel and being patient, but he has to be a bit more assertive and look to pull a little more. At least, be more gap to gap. Everything I can remember has been to LF. Some hard hit balls, though. 

The COF is actually more difficult to play than CF, IMO. The reads are much easier in CF, less balls slicing away or hooking, and no tricky corners in general. CF needs someone with range/speed, but the COF takes more skill as an OF to be good out there. 

Sounds like you were a COF....I'm going to have to disagree a little.  I've played both (mostly CF) and yes you have a little more time in CF and you can read the swing easier than the ball (big) and slice/hook less severe but in CF:

No plays off which takes a big mental toll (corner can cheat a little) multiple throws/cut offs, guys on either side, long and accurate throws (with more cut play), handling a third more chances, slice and hook, huge back-up responsibility (not just OF, 2b too). 

To me CF was much more difficult especially mentally.  While you note jump-to me baseball smarts/acumen were as-if not more important than pure speed in center.  Let's not forget Santander warts and all was a GG finalist two years ago!!

2 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Sounds like you were a COF....I'm going to have to disagree a little.  I've played both (mostly CF) and yes you have a little more time in CF and you can read the swing easier than the ball (big) and slice/hook less severe but in CF:

No plays off which takes a big mental toll (corner can cheat a little) multiple throws/cut offs, guys on either side, long and accurate throws (with more cut play), handling a third more chances, slice and hook, huge back-up responsibility (not just OF, 2b too). 

To me CF was much more difficult especially mentally.  While you note jump-to me baseball smarts/acumen were as-if not more important than pure speed in center.  Let's not forget Santander warts and all was a GG finalist two years ago!!

I was a SS, then a CF. I am not saying that a CF does not have to be a good OF, or that it is easier in every way. You obviously need a very good athlete. There is a lot to do out there, sure. The CF should be your best and rangiest OF. But most skilled? I am not sure we agree there.

The COF’s back up a lot of throws to bases as well. I was specifically referring to the balls off the walls, corners and the slicing and hooking of line drives. It takes a good bit of work to become a skilled COF and play the corners intelligently. I’ve heard the same commentary many times over the years. For instance, when very athletic MIF’s switch to OF the thought is it is easier to transition to CF than a corner. You bring up some valid points, but it has been my experience coaching older kids that COF is a bit more difficult to master. 

I think the comparisons between Cowser and Henderson are flawed in two ways.

First, you can be more patient with Henderson in April and May than you can with Cowser in July and August.

Second, Henderson is simply better than Cowser.  There’s a reason one was the #1 prospect in baseball and the other wasn’t.

I believe in Cowser’s long future, but I’m not sure that he’ll get there in 2023.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s very obvious that Cowser is “one of the guys”. They are all close but watching the game tonight, it’s obvious that Westburg, Cowser, Adley and Gunnar are very close and you wonder if the Os would consider breaking that up by trading any of them.

I'm pretty sure the two most important guys in that bit were the two upfront. I absolutely don't wonder if they'd break the other two up, I believe they certainly would.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure the two most important guys in that bit were the two upfront. I absolutely don't wonder if they'd break the other two up, I believe they certainly would.

To your point, I’ve heard Adley call Stowers his best friend or “one of his best friends.” I don’t think he’s sulking because Kyle is in Norfolk.

Edited by Sydnor

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s very obvious that Cowser is “one of the guys”. They are all close but watching the game tonight, it’s obvious that Westburg, Cowser, Adley and Gunnar are very close and you wonder if the Os would consider breaking that up by trading any of them.

I’ve speculated this on the board and wonder if the choice between JW and Joey Ortiz thus far has been because Joey doesn’t seem to be (or I haven’t seen as much that he is) a part of that clique.

It’s almost comical how some of us so easily forget that Cowser is currently the 12th rated prospect in all of baseball. But yeah, let’s send him back to Norfolk where he was mashing and bring up Kjerstad who will require time to adjust himself. 😳

Feels like every stop he’s made, he struggles at first and then finds his footing (except maybe Aberdeen).  Last year he hit .219 at AAA.  He looks like his confidence is a little shaken.  I think he will figure it out.  He may be putting too much pressure on himself to step up.