Grade our two deadline moves

Frobby

Grade our two deadline moves  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade our two deadline moves?

• A to A-
    • B or B+
    • B- or C+
    • C or C-
    • D- to D+
    • F

So, how do you grade our combined deadline moves, compared to what we needed to get done?   Did we do enough?  Did we pay too much for what we got?  How do you feel overall?

In: Flaherty and Fujinami 

Out: Rom, Prieto, Showalter, Lucas

I thought you gave a decent summation in the other thread: The team is better.  They didn't markedly improve, but they are better, and while they gave up more than you like, they didn't give up anything major.

One thing I will add that I don't especially like: 3 of the 4 departing prospects are pitchers, and we received no long-term pitching in return.

That formula's going to have to change.

The Fuji trade was a smart move.   The Flaherty trade was better than nothing.  We didn't give up much to get him but he's a back-end starter.

Overall my grade is B-/C+ becaues the overall strategy sucked.  The O's needed a playoff-caliber started and another reliever (aside from Fuji) that could reliably protect a lead in the 8th inning.  They had more prospect currency than anyone else.   Instead they wound up shopping at the bargain basement yet again.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So, how do you grade our combined deadline moves, compared to what we needed to get done?   Did we do enough?  Did we pay too much for what we got?  How do you feel overall?

In: Flaherty and Fujinami 

Out: Rom, Prieto, Showalter, Lucas

We didn’t really lose anything. I can’t believe we didn’t get another RP

I liked the Flaherty trade a lot more before it had Zack Showalter in it. Still think it's fine though.

Fujinami trade is looking pretty great, but I give the overall package a B-. We have the best record in the AL and the second best record in baseball and it's hard to say those trades didn't make us better. But I was hoping for more.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm glad for Prieto as I think he's a guy that could carve out a decent 4-5 year career. He was probably not going to get a chance in Baltimore.

I think Prieto is going to have issues in MLB. He doesn't walk a ton and since he doesn't have even double-digit home run power, he'll probably walk even less in MLB. He's not remotely a shortstop which limits his value as a utility infielder, and his glove isn't an asset anywhere in the infield. I think if everything breaks right, he could be a second-division starter at second base for a handful of years, or maybe a bench piece on a contender. Basically, he's Hanser Alberto.

That's a decent career depending on how you define decent. But you're 100% right that he was never going to sniff the majors in Baltimore.

16 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The Fuji trade was a smart move.   The Flaherty trade was better than nothing.  We didn't give up much to get him but he's a back-end starter.

Overall my grade is B-/C+ becaues the overall strategy sucked.  The O's needed a playoff-caliber started and another reliever (aside from Fuji) that could reliably protect a lead in the 8th inning.  They had more prospect currency than anyone else.   Instead they wound up shopping at the bargain basement yet again.  

Dumpster diving, an O's specialty.  Would have loved to get E Rod.  Mostly Detroit's fault for getting nothing for E Rod.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Dumpster diving, an O's specialty.  Would have loved to get E Rod.  Mostly Detroit's fault for getting nothing for E Rod.

Not quite dumpster diving. But we are eating at Applebees. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Haha 2