Would You Send Cowser Down for Ortiz?

baltfan

Assume that the Orioles aren't just DFA'ing Mateo because they want to get something for him.  Doesn't matter if you agree, just assume that.  Once Mullins and Hicks come back, would you favor sending Cowser down (assuming he is still struggling) to bring up Ortiz?  Mateo would then sit the bench except maybe for some pinch running. Ortiz then plays more often. The theory hear would be that Cowser is so bad at the moment that he would basically be just as unplayable as Mateo.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Assume that the Orioles aren't just DFA'ing Mateo because they want to get something for him.  Doesn't matter if you agree, just assume that.  Once Mullins and Hicks come back, would you favor sending Cowser down (assuming he is still struggling) to bring up Ortiz?  Mateo would then sit the bench except maybe for some pinch running. Ortiz then plays more often. The theory hear would be that Cowser is so bad at the moment that he would basically be just as unplayable as Mateo.

No. Waste of roster spots.

You have a lot of redundancy w/ Gunnar, Westburg, Urias, Mateo, Frazier and Ortiz all on the roster.

They should work on making Mateo a super utility including center field, especially if Mullins and Hicks aren't going to be back anytime soon. Then you can bring up Ortiz and send Cowser down

I believe Gunner can handle shortstop right now. Another one to look at might be bringing up norby if he stays hot and cowser and Westburg continue to be middling

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

How does that math work?  Mullins and Hicks adds two.  Cowser down subtracts one.  How are you bringing up Ortiz in this scenario, especially if Mateo is on the bench?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How does that math work?  Mullins and Hicks adds two.  Cowser down subtracts one.  How are you bringing up Ortiz in this scenario, especially if Mateo is on the bench?

They send McKenna down and a pitcher down.

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

They should work on making Mateo a super utility including center field, especially if Mullins and Hicks aren't going to be back anytime soon. Then you can bring up Ortiz and send Cowser down

I believe Gunner can handle shortstop right now. Another one to look at might be bringing up norby if he stays hot and cowser and Westburg continue to be middling

Not sure why we would believe Mateo could play center since he has been choking at SS.

Ortiz was slashing 212/206/242 in his 15 MLB games this year.  While I'm high on both Cowser/Ortiz long term, I'm not sure we'd see much of an upgrade short-term from Cowser to Ortiz.  Both likely need to take their lumps, we'd likely be substuting one struggling rookie for another.

I don't know how Elias navigates the next few weeks without Mateo being DFA, things are going to get crowded in a hurry and I think Ortiz deserves a chance at some MLB playing time.

I have a question: Where does Ortiz stand on having rookie status next year? Has that been blown or still a possibility.  Just wondering if that is part of the reason Westburg came up instead of him.

Nothing against Westburg, he deserved a promotion too and has been playing just fine. 

No. Ortiz and Cowser are not interchangeable parts (different positions).

We cannot send Cowser down now because we don’t have enough OFs. Even if Hays were to temporality cover CF, who plays LF?

If you want Cowser got go back to AAA, l Kjerstad would be the guy.

If we are waiting until Hicks and/or Mullins return the. Cowser will probably go back then. With all of the INFs we have, I don’t see a 26 man roster with both Ortiz and Mateo on it. 

I would love it if they finally were willing to cut the cord on Mateo (he really is more of a - than a + IMO). But until that day comes, or until the date comes when rosters expand Ortiz will probably stay in AAA. I hope I’m wrong.