Would You Send Cowser Down for Ortiz?

baltfan

Just now, Bemorewins said:

No. Ortiz and Cowser are not interchangeable parts (different positions).

We cannot send Cowser down now because we don’t have enough OFs. Even if Hays were to temporality cover CF, who plays LF?

If you want Cowser got go back to AAA, l Kjerstad would be the guy.

If we are waiting until Hicks and/or Mullins return the. Cowser will probably go back then. With all of the INFs we have, I don’t see a 26 man roster with both Ortiz and Mateo on it. 

I would love it if they finally were willing to cut the cord on Mateo (he really is more of a - than a + IMO). But until that day comes, or until the date comes when rosters expand Ortiz will probably stay in AAA. I hope I’m wrong.

Just put Mateo in center field!

Problem solved.

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't know how Elias navigates the next few weeks without Mateo being DFA, things are going to get crowded in a hurry and I think Ortiz deserves a chance at some MLB playing time.

I have a question: Where does Ortiz stand on having rookie status next year? Has that been blown or still a possibility.  Just wondering if that is part of the reason Westburg came up instead of him.

Nothing against Westburg, he deserved a promotion too and has been playing just fine. 

Curious about something - How do you see Ortiz’s status as a rookie influencing decisions made?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Elias loves to mention team prospect rankings.

That would be a really crummy thing to do, to keep a guy in his age 25 season in the minors just to inflate his ego by being able to point to the org’s status with prospect rankings.

I don’t believe or see anything to reason that Elias is that type of person. I really hope that isn’t true.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's need all 13 pitchers.   I can't see them going with 12 for very long. In fact they could probably use 15 or 16 if the rules allowed it.

They really don't.  They have 5 pitchers that are fairly reliable at giving 5+ innings and a long man (Irvin) who can give them length even if for some reason Hyde doesn't use him that way.  They also have Baumann that can give multiple innings from the bullpen.

There's really no reason this team needs 13 pitchers other than Hyde's reluctance to let long guys be long guys.  And he's shown he's pretty good at handling a deep bench.  I personally would stick with 12.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Chance to win rookie of the year next year and get a pick 

What would give him a greater chance than Westburg would have had?

And next year, what would make one believe that he would outperform Kjerstad, Mayo, or even Holliday from our own org? Let alone the dozens of more talented prospects than he that are ranked ahead of him?

I would put the chances of that happening and even being a factor in Elias’ calculus at a minimum.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That would be a really crummy thing to do, to keep a guy in his age 25 season in the minors just to inflate his ego by being able to point to the org’s status with prospect rankings.

I don’t believe or see anything to reason that Elias is that type of person. I really hope that isn’t true.

I thought it was really crummy to hold off promoting Adley in an effort to get an extra year of team control.

That happened.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

How does that math work?  Mullins and Hicks adds two.  Cowser down subtracts one.  How are you bringing up Ortiz in this scenario, especially if Mateo is on the bench?

His math doesn't work. But demoting McKenna, cutting Mateo, optioning Cowser and promoting Ortiz does work. That's what I'd like to see.

I love Cowser, but get him 3 weeks of playing time at Norfolk and if he gets back to hitting well, bring him back up when rosters expand.