Would You Send Cowser Down for Ortiz?

baltfan

15 minutes ago, bluedog said:

His math doesn't work. But demoting McKenna, cutting Mateo, optioning Cowser and promoting Ortiz does work. That's what I'd like to see.

I love Cowser, but get him 3 weeks of playing time at Norfolk and if he gets back to hitting well, bring him back up when rosters expand.

Well, I’d be fine with DFAing Mateo and calling up Ortiz today.  We don’t need to wait on Mullins and Hicks for that.  

As to the outfielders, I think Cowser will be sent down when either of the other two are ready, unless he goes on a real heater between now and then.  He’s not as good as McKenns defensively so he needs to hit much better to stay up.  I believe in his bat, but at present he’s not getting it done. 

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bluedog said:

His math doesn't work. But demoting McKenna, cutting Mateo, optioning Cowser and promoting Ortiz does work. That's what I'd like to see.

I love Cowser, but get him 3 weeks of playing time at Norfolk and if he gets back to hitting well, bring him back up when rosters expand.

Demote Cowser, McKenna, and a pitcher.  The math works.  I know everyone wants to DFA Mateo.  The team seems not to want to do so.  If that is the case, the question then is would you rather have Ortiz than Cowser once Mullins and Hicks are back so CF is covered.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought it was really crummy to hold off promoting Adley in an effort to get an extra year of team control.

That happened.

They did hold off promoting Adley as you correctly state. But Adley as a 1:1 has gotten some real money and he will likely get paid through extension or when he is a free agent.

Ortiz was a 4th round pick and may never make it to FA given his age. I hope that they wouldn’t treat him that way.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

They did hold off promoting Adley as you correctly state. But Adley as a 1:1 has gotten some real money and he will likely get paid through extension or when he is a free agent.

Ortiz was a 4th round pick and may never make it to FA given his age. I hope that they wouldn’t treat him that way.

Oh so it's less crummy because the stakes are higher?

I don't agree.

If it's wrong, it's wrong.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Assume that the Orioles aren't just DFA'ing Mateo because they want to get something for him.  Doesn't matter if you agree, just assume that.  Once Mullins and Hicks come back, would you favor sending Cowser down (assuming he is still struggling) to bring up Ortiz?  Mateo would then sit the bench except maybe for some pinch running. Ortiz then plays more often. The theory hear would be that Cowser is so bad at the moment that he would basically be just as unplayable as Mateo.

Cowser and McKenna will be sent down when Hicks and Mullins return.  The only scenario where Ortiz is brought up is if an infielder is released (Mateo most likely although theoretically Frazier) or there's an injury requiring an IL visit.  Otherwise the hypothetical makes no sense. 

Do I think Cowser is as bad as Mateo right now?  Yes, but he's worth investing continued playing time whereas Mateo is not.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought it was really crummy to hold off promoting Adley in an effort to get an extra year of team control.

That happened.

Setting aside the question of whether they actually did that, OP is suggesting the reason for juicing the rankings would be pure ego. Gaining a year of control may have been crummy but would have been to help the team. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I haven't seen this, but did anyone else think that Mckenna got a bad read/jump on that bloop hit from George Springer.  Unless Mckenna was playing really deep.  It just seemed to hang in the air awhile.  

He had to respect the stupid artificial turf(big bounce). He would have made the catch on a grass field

• Upvote 1

To answer the OP, no I don't send down Cowser for Ortiz. I would DFA Mateo and give the role to Ortiz, but I'm not heartbroken if that doesn't happen either. I fully expect Ortiz to have that job next season and Mateo to be non-tendered. 

Now do I send Cowser down when Hicks or Mullins are ready to come off the IL? Yes. (Unless he turns it around before that)

9 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

Ortiz was slashing 212/206/242 in his 15 MLB games this year.  While I'm high on both Cowser/Ortiz long term, I'm not sure we'd see much of an upgrade short-term from Cowser to Ortiz.  Both likely need to take their lumps, we'd likely be substuting one struggling rookie for another.

How many games did it take for him to get 33 at bats? It’s impossible to judge any player with sporadic appearances. Cowser has been playing nearly everyday lately.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How many games did it take for him to get 33 at bats? It’s impossible to judge any player with sporadic appearances. Cowser has been playing nearly everyday lately.

only started 5 games last 13 and pinch hit half way through half of those