Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Reflecting on this fiasco, now I understand why Brandon Hyde is always walking on egg shells during his pre & post game interviews.

How does the ownership ever expect to recruit top talent if that talent is always run out of the organization? People don't watch the Orioles to see an executive. They watch to enjoy the talent that's featured in front of them all game long. (Players, Manager's, and broadcast team.) People want themselves to be entertained. They watch to see the best talent! 

Top talent is what's good for business, but how are you going yo have a good business if all the top talent refuses to work for you because of your history of how you treated your previous talent so poorly? There is a level of fellowship and community that occurs within job professions, and word travels fast.

If you don't have good talent, people aren't going to commit their time and money to see your product. If you treat all your talent poorly, you're not going to get top talent.

Petty behavior is self destructive and it's bad for business.

I don’t think Angelos would mess with Hyde or Elias, he’s picking on a little guy, which is pathetic and who he is.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

If you remember in the game thread I was pretty critical of him out there and his comment about the wallet when he came back. Either way, I agree, that is not his strong suit. By the way, this is a good time to put out my extreme dislike of them broadcasting from the rooftop bar with a bunch of drunk people behind them (Including Angelos' wife who think she can just do what she wants). 

I'm glad you agree--yeah, the location choices are poorly handled to say the least. They don't have to be (one cd even make the bar work with the right personnel and right drunks haha), but they are.

2 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

I know they don't want to talk publicly about employee disciplinary manners, but maybe they should re-examine that position when it comes to in-the-public-eye members of the organization.

If it was due to the wallet comment, and they'd been transparent about that, most people would have probably thought, "Sure, that could be seen as an insult to fans.  A suspension might be an over-reaction, but I could also see where they'd find it actionable."  And everyone (except Kevin Brown probably) would have been over it in five minutes and moving on.

But they didn't do that, and this got blown up into the mother of all PR nightmares.  I'd hope they'll learn a lesson from this about transparency, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

They are smart enough to not speak about the details at all.  Anyone in HR knows that.  No need to re-examine.  We may never know the full story, only rumors and I imagine possibly only one side of it.  But I doubt the Orioles will discuss this with anyone not involved in HR and Risk Management.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Baltimore and DC surrounding population around 9 million. NYC around 24 million.
    • This is accurate based on pockets.  But the Yankees have positive Cash Flow even with the huge payroll, because they are the richest franchise in the MLB.  The fact that the owner can fund higher salaries is certainly important, but it isn't the same thing as team revenue.
    • These two paragraphs are not congruent.  I disagree that the Orioles have to resign Burnes.  I think they should be in on him, but they don't have to sign him. I completely agree that if they do not sign him the have to have another TOR.  I think counting on Bradish to return is a poor decision.  You hope so, but planning on it would be weak.  Same with assuming #2 status for Rodriquez.  His case is stronger of course, but still.  We have some depth IF we have a TOR and that should be Burnes or someone comparable.  
    • There are several. Snell, Pivetta, Bieber (depending on structure of the contract), Nick Martinez (swing type guy) and Heaney.  May be others. This is off the top of my head.
    • I think this is correct but I would say it differently.  I think Elias has done a great job constructing the organization and making it one of the top teams, complete teams, in baseball.  That was a huge hurdle from where he started and that has been a major success. Getting from a top MLB team to a successful playoff team may seem like a small jump but it is pretty large.  And Elias has been tentative at best at trying to make those changes.  He has taken an incremental path in hopes of maximizing his long term potential.  So far that really hasn't had much success.   But like Elias, we really should not assume that the changes needed to make that seemingly small jump from AL East contender to WS contender will not require some pretty big things.  I don't know if that is really different than what you are saying.  
    • It was never in hindsight. The Os were always against it. We had the numbers. We knew how bad it was going to effect the team.   That is why the MaSN deal was structured the way it was. It benefited the Os for a reason. That was essentially the compromise to having the team move to DC.
    • The Mets just had more exciting wins in one week than we had in four months.  I called us the Dull Orange Machine a few weeks ago for a reason.  Really boring team most of the season, with no personality at all.  They seemed to have a "get knocked down, stay down" mentality, which isn't fun to support as a fan.  There are a lot of very good reasons noted here as to why attendance wasn't great, but the energy around this team and the organization is just low and that can't help.  And a slow and boring offseason that doesn't move the needle much won't help attendance heading into next season either.  
  • Popular Contributors