Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I never knew how popular Kevin Brown was with Orioles faithful. 

Angelos made him popular with his bullshit antics. I'm not even that big of a fan of his, but the reason for his suspension was so f&@#ing insane that it's almost impossible not to feel strongly about it. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I never knew how popular Kevin Brown was with Orioles faithful. 

I doubt the reaction would have been much different if it was another member of the broadcast team. It's not really about Brown, it's about Angelos.

13 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Angelos made him popular with his bullshit antics. I'm not even that big of a fan of his, but the reason for his suspension was so f&@#ing insane that it's almost impossible not to feel strongly about it. 

Well, 93% of those who responded to my poll voted that Brown was our best PBP announcer, so he’s pretty popular.  But yes, this is about Angelos being both absurd and petty at the same time.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, 93% of those who responded to my poll voted that Brown was our best PBP announcer, so he’s pretty popular.  But yes, this is about Angelos being both absurd and petty at the same time.  

Brown is very good but this is about Angelos being an embarrassment. I cringe every time the national media says "the Orioles did Brown wrong". This wasn't the "Orioles". This was John Angelos, a petty small man who unfortunately runs our beloved baseball team. Everything was going beautifully this year with the team. The best feel good story in baseball. Then ogre Angrlos comes along and ruins everything as he often does. He just can't seem to stop himself from screwing up.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I heard a bit of the radio broadcast while driving home last night.  As always, Melewski is quite good at the job, except that he doesn’t have a great radio voice.  His actual call of the game is very professional, especially considering how rarely he does it.  

Agreed on all. Steve knows his stuff and showed to be competent when he did some games in the spring a few years ago. But yeah, kind of that Buck Martinez kind of voice.

14 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

Even if it doesn't have any discernable effect on merch sales, why the uproar over it?  They're being told to wear team merchandise on the air, not a dominatrix outfit. I can't imagine any of them have any issue with it. Hot suit or cool Orioles team polo? Gee let me think about that...

This is where I'm at with this O's gear thing. Who cares? If it helps sell a few more polos, good for them. Now stopping someone from doing a radio broadcast because they didn't have their gear, ridiculous, but I don't see any problem with asking their on air talent to wear the gear.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, Big Ben said it on his Twitter account.

Someone basically asked if he had been suspended and he said no, scheduled time off and “I will see you in SD”.

Oh, they asked him if HE was suspended, not Kevin. That puts his comments in a different light for me. I thought he was covering for Angelos over Brown when he said it was scheduling, not a suspension.

A buddy of mine who is a Yankees fan had the nerve to text me last night with a link to some KB stuff along with something like "I knew they were going to screw their season up somehow."

All I did was take a picture of the standings and highlighted where the Orioles are and where the Yankees are and sent it back to him with "Not as bad as the Yankees have screwed up theirs."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A buddy of mine who is a Yankees fan had the nerve to text me last night with a link to some KB stuff along with something like "I knew they were going to screw their season up somehow."

All I did was take a picture of the standings and highlighted where the Orioles are and where the Yankees are and sent it back to him with "Not as bad as the Yankees have screwed up theirs."

I would have added “See ya!!” Lol 

On 8/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, deward said:

A dress code should serve a purpose. A Best Buy employee wears a blue polo shirt so that the customer can easily identify them. Asking your on-camera talent to show up dressed professionally, rather than looking like they just rolled out of bed, makes them presentable to your audience. Asking Jim Palmer (for example) to wear an O's polo rather than a suit, even if he would have preferred the suit, doesn't serve any purpose. Adding extra rules where they aren't needed and don't accomplish anything useful is always a sign of bad leadership.

Of course it serves a purpose - it builds a brand, for one. Additionally, it does identify Orioles representatives. There are sometimes split broadcast games between teams or when guests are in the booth. It's perfectly fine *and* reasonable to have the brand be recognized and easily identify those that are affiliated with the Orioles. There are often pictures and video taken over the course of the game not done by the team, so it's good to have that branding recognized later on. This has zilch to do with leadership. There is so much to get on Angelos about. This isn't one of them (aside from having them buy their own gear *IF TRUE*).

16 hours ago, dystopia said:

He made him more popular, but Kevin is far and away the best new thing since Thorne...and I'd argue better than Thorne. Ben and Palmer are great, too, of course.

• Upvote 1