Hicks and Mullins back this week…what happens with the roster?

Sports Guy

Just now, spleen1015 said:

The really unfortunate thing about all of this is that Hicks is even in the conversation. He never should have been signed to begin with. All it accomplished was taking development time away from players who've earned it.

Cowser was hurt at the time of the signing. I suppose you could have just ran McKenna out there every day, but they clearly identified a problem with his stance/approach and worked on it. Who is he taking time away from at this point? Cowser has been lackluster, and Kjerstad isn't a center fielder. And Hicks is good insurance for guys like Mullins and Hays who is injury prone.

10 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Very surprised Cowser wasn't sent down. His defense has been lackluster even in the corner OF spots, and his bat and approach has gotten worse. I really don't understand the value of keeping him up at this point over McKenna. But maybe they just want a couple more looks until Hicks is back. I'm super high on Cowser, but you can't keep running him out there or even clogging up a roster spot. At least with McKenna you get speed, defense, bunting ability, the occasional hit. I'm just not sure what Cowser is bringing to the club this year. 

I think it’s because they want to give Cowser a longer leash with some starts in LF/RF, at least until Hicks is back, and they are comfortable with some combination of Hays/Cowser/Mateo being the back up CF until then. 

15 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Very surprised Cowser wasn't sent down. His defense has been lackluster even in the corner OF spots, and his bat and approach has gotten worse. I really don't understand the value of keeping him up at this point over McKenna. But maybe they just want a couple more looks until Hicks is back. I'm super high on Cowser, but you can't keep running him out there or even clogging up a roster spot. At least with McKenna you get speed, defense, bunting ability, the occasional hit. I'm just not sure what Cowser is bringing to the club this year. 

To your bolded comment, sure you can. This team is three clear up top, and has plenty of contributors to let Cowser struggle through. If the powers that be feel that he can/will work through these things in time for September/October, then you let him be. I know that they don’t want to lose anybody, but my feeling is that playing Cowser now makes the team better in the playoffs. Therefore, that’s my vote. If it were me, when Hicks came back, that would be it for Mateo.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.61 WPA, third on the team, does scream winning plays.  He’s had a lot of big moments.  

He has..he has also had a lot of moments where his fielding has cost us a lot of runs and his inability to get on base and his ability to make outs has hurt us.

I'm glad that our starting CF is back. IMO there is a big drop off from his defense compared to everyone else that we've tried there in his absence.

As far as the Hicks v Cowser argument goes, thankfully with Mullins return, neither will have to get regular ABs down the stretch of the season. 2 things can be true at the same time, Hicks is not a starter on a contender and should not be getting regular ABs. And Cowser has not been a productive player in his time on the team, in some cases he has looked overmatched.

Obviously it is best for the longterm health of the org that Cowser makes the transition to everyday player in the future. But the games are now too important as results matter most. The O's will probably send hime down for Hicks due to the fact that Hicks is a veteran with post season experience and he is a switch hitter who can give Cedric a blow in CF and at least offer decent (average at best) defense there.

4 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

To your bolded comment, sure you can. This team is three clear up top, and has plenty of contributors to let Cowser struggle through. If the powers that be feel that he can/will work through these things in time for September/October, then you let him be. I know that they don’t want to lose anybody, but my feeling is that playing Cowser now makes the team better in the playoffs. Therefore, that’s my vote. If it were me, when Hicks came back, that would be it for Mateo.

I don’t quite get how it’s not ok for Cowser to struggle while the team is winning but it’s ok to let the countless numbers of vets struggle over and over.

17 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

The really unfortunate thing about all of this is that Hicks is even in the conversation. He never should have been signed to begin with. All it accomplished was taking development time away from players who've earned it.

That's an overstatement.   He performed admirably for us during Cedric's first stint on the IL, without his contributions during that time I would say we would probably not be in first place right now.

11 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

There's many options. They've shown they like position flexibility. Move Hays to CF, promote Ortiz, put Frazier and O'Hearn in LF.

I really don't get why folks think Hicks should even be on this team. He hasn't been good for a couple of years.

Because he was good for a few weeks 2 months ago and that’s all people are choosing to remember.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Some O’s fans would rather we not win the division with Ortiz and Cowser, rather than win the division with Hicks and Mateo.

Some O's fans would rather we not win the division with scrubs like Hicks and Mateo, rather than win the division with Ortiz and Cowser developing into their potential.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's an overstatement.   He performed admirably for us during Cedric's first stint on the IL, without his contributions during that time I would say we would probably not be in first place right now.

Hicks was not worth 2-3 wins in a few week period. 

7 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I have no issues whatsoever with Mateo being DFA'd. But the O's can seem to quit him for some reason.

Question for you though: What if it doesn't click for Cowser this season? Some say they see a turnaround coming, I'm not sure that is what I see. 60 ABs 22 Ks and 2 XBH.