Wednesday, August 9: Orioles try to bounce back after tough loss to Astros

SteveA

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Isn’t this the 3rd meltdown from Fujinama since he’s been on the team?

I struggle to understand the thought process that led to the conclusion that the risk of a reclamation project was all we needed to add to the bullpen to win a pennant.

Absolutely moronic. Instead of getting some lights out reliever which is what was needed let's get some arsonist to pour gasoline all over close games.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

There are other options in the organization that they'll tap into. You might have a preference for "established" arms from elsewhere, but Fuji is far from the only change/addition they'll make to the bullpen by October.

It just wasn’t necessary to take the risk of going cheap IMO, not with a team this good.

The difference in this series is the 2 teams bullpens. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I’m afraid that this series is a foreshadowing of the playoffs. Hopefully not, but it’s hard to conclude that they are just not better than us.

Not upgrading the pen enough will probably bite us in the postseason.  Elias needed to get a better arm. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You absolutely can not bring him in any kind of a higher leverage situation.

He just can’t handle it right now. He needs to be treated the same way you treated a guy like Akin.

I heard all the cries that all he needed was a clean inning.

Well, I don't hear anyone saying that anymore.

1 minute ago, MDK02 said:

Astros are levels above the Os. We better hope we don’t see them in the post season.

Given that they've been in every ALCS for a hundred years, I would count on seeing them. Then we'll see them one of the Braves/Dodgers, who did this same things to us.

That's the reality people are suggesting when they say this team can win the WS.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Okay, here's my take 1. Something is wrong with coaching/management. You don't see almost every player in your lineup dip below career norms for four months of the season without something being wrong. I have never thought Hyde was the guy. His in game decisions are not always that great. I wonder if it's a clubhouse leadership thing or something. Ben hit on it last night before the broadcast. They needed to score first to take the tension off of them. Hyde managed that last game scared, pulling Efflin after four innings and only one run given up. I bet the players could tell that too.  2. Do everything possible to sign Burnes (or a comparable free agent pitcher) to a long term deal. Definitely make the QO and take the pick if he wants to leave (and I really can't blame him) 3. Make the QO to Santander, but no long term offer. If he takes it, fine, but he comes up short in big situations too often. For some reason, he can only hit well from May-August.  4. We need one more "big", consistent hitter. Target that guy in free agency. Position really doesn't matter because we have alot of position flexibility, but an OF would be preferable. We need a veteran presence that can help these young guys when the going gets tough, especially if they choose to keep Hyde.  5: Keep the Ryans, but make sure they platoon
    • Corbin Burnes hasn't issued an intentional walk since 2018.
    • It can be debated from an analytical perspective if it is better to offensively focus on hitting homeruns or playing small ball or a combination of both.  It cannot be debated that this team offensively is horrible at the fundamentals in pressure situations.   The most basic fundamental in hitting a baseball is getting a good pitch to hit.  This team, routinely swings at horrible pitches, other teams have figured that out and that is what they see, willingly chasing pitches 6 inches outside or below the knees.   Until their inability to lay off of bad switches is corrected, they will struggle offensively.   Having a team of free swinging homerun hitters will not be successful.  They need to add guys who are willing to work the count, take a walk.  They need more speed, and some guys who can play small ball. In the lose to KC, they could not get a sac fly when needed.  They could not hit behind the runner.  They were not willing to bunt to advance a runner.   I don't care what the analytics say, when you strike out, nothing good can happen.  You can't advance the runner via hitting behind a runner, no sac fly, no chance of an error.  All you can say is they didn't hit into a double play.  With analytics, sometimes numbers are just numbers and the nerd analyzing them doesn't understand the context.   Please give me some 70's baseball.      
    • Eh, you’re not wrong, but just  because you can have a pissing match of Burnes vs Witt, doesn’t mean you have to. Same with Cano vs Witt.  Sometimes you literally circle their one good hitter and say he won’t beat us. 
    • Even in a summer where we had, checks notes, Westburg, Urias, Mateo and Mountcastle all on Injured Reserve (an entire starting infield, mind you, I think a lot of teams would be happy to have all four of those guys starting for them), O’Hearn only received 44 total PAs against left-handers, compared to 29 in 2023.  They absolutely try to limit him against LHP, but with those four injured during most of August/September, in the worlds of Hulk Hogan, what’cha gonna do?  
    • And Witt isn't even prime Bonds.  Be it '93 Bonds or roided out of his head 2001 Bonds. Corbin Burnes hasn't issued an intentional walk since 2018. 
    • Yeah it’s been a frustrating season. I get being upset, but to question the mental makeup of the team and say they all can’t perform under pressure is just ridiculously childish nonsense. And then to go after any posters who wanted to think we had any chance at winning anything is just some serious lowlife garbage. It’s embarrassing as a fan of this team to see grown men cry this loudly because we lost. It’s seriously embarrassing to see fans of a team hate on the team and their fellow fans because we lost. 
  • Popular Contributors