John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pour rehab outing for Means tonight: 1.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 2 SB allowed, 4 K’s.  He was pulled after 45 pitches, 30 for strikes.  2 of the 3 hits were doubles.  

Well, pour him a cold one after that performance.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Waiting for people to freak out and declare that Means can’t possibly help us this year based off of this outing.

Means can’t possibly help us this year based of this outing

Not really, I’m not so sure the results matter just yet. He’s just getting his work in like he would in ST. Just getting through without any health issues is a plus right now. 

I just went back and watched.  I thought he looked pretty good.  Lead off  batter ambushed a fastball down the middle for a double, the only hard hit ball.  Next batter hit a weak seeing eye single on a defensive swing after fouling off a few pitches.  Struck out next two guys.   Walked a guy after fouling off a few pitches, then a weakly hit double down the left field line.  

Overall, he filled up the zone and came right at people.  The BBs were long ABs after a few foul balls.  There were a ton of fouled off pitches.  That tells me he wasn’t finishing his pitches.  All in all, he looked pretty good.  Especially for a guy who hasn’t pitched in almost 2 years.  It Wasn’t a stinker by any stretch of the imagination.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Waiting for people to freak out and declare that Means can’t possibly help us this year based off of this outing.

I wouldn’t say that, but I also wouldn’t just assume that he will be helpful. TJ impacts everyone differently, and though it seems routine, it is not. For all I know he was focusing on one pitch tonight given that this is essentially spring training for Means. I am hopefully that Means will help in September, but I am not counting on anything from him.

I saw DL in Norfolk on 8/5, and it inspired confidence that he can help because his velo was pretty steadily 95-97, and he threw some nice changeups. I honestly have more confidence in DL than Means right now, but that could certainly change. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I've been saying all season to keep expectations low because the man hasn't played any baseball in a year and a half. Plus the physical aspects of rebuilding strength in his throwing arm after surgery.

I just had a close relative get surgery on her elbow and she had to go back to the ER just from sweeping the floor because it popped out. 

People are going to have to be patient with Means. And Means is going to have to be patient with his body. It's a process. 

Does anyone know how his stats were between the date where he could no longer use sticky stuff and the date he got shut down.  I was always concerned about how good he would be without being able to use the grip-enhancing substances.  Does anyone else have similar concerns, or is it just me?  

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Does anyone know how his stats were between the date where he could no longer use sticky stuff and the date he got shut down.  I was always concerned about how good he would be without being able to use the grip-enhancing substances.  Does anyone else have similar concerns, or is it just me?  

My memory is that he had a bit of a dip, then rebounded.  

4 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

And thus a strike....what's your point? Pitchers get swing strikes on pitches outside the zone all the time. That's part of the art of pitching.

Not sure how you can't divine my point.

Did you see what I was responding too?

It shouldn't be hard to figure out.

18 hours ago, emmett16 said:

30 of 45 strikes and 2BBs and a HBP is kinda wild.  

I watched the 2nd inning where he recorded 1 out. He wasn't able to really throw anything over the plate. He was spiking his fastball or leaving it way outside on his arm side. He hasn't thrown much, I am not worried about the results, just his health.

• Upvote 1