The Orioles will not win the 2023 WS, and may not make the playoffs...and that is Ok

OnlyOneOriole

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Stars rise to the top, just like Alek Thomas did last night.   The D backs have about as many stars as the Orioles and they are 2-2 in the LCS.

Yeah one of those “stars” , Cal or Eddie, was the MVP in the Series in 1983.  Oh no, wait, that was Rick Dempsey. 

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Why? What board rules are being broken?

It may seem inane, but it's harmless and fun. 

Because there’s already a thread for other team’s playoff series. Nothing new was said about the orioles and their chances to win the 2023 WS. 

One, I probably shouldn't have used the term "beating a dead horse" since I was a long time race horse owner and trainer and love horses. :)

Two, if you guys had actually read my last post?  You would have seen where I said I think this year that the O's just did not have enough of those "it" type of players, but that the O's have enough young players now playing on the team and coming up where they could have that "Astros" type of team by maybe next year and IMO for sure in 2025.

I realize some of you want to bash me just to bash, but at least read AND comprehend what I wrote before doing so. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One, I probably shouldn't have used the term "beating a dead horse" since I was a long time race horse owner and trainer and love horses. :)

Two, if you guys had actually read my last post?  You would have seen where I said I think this year that the O's just did not have enough of those "it" type of players, but that the O's have enough young players now playing on the team and coming up where they could have that "Astros" type of team by maybe next year and IMO for sure in 2025.

I realize some of you want to bash me just to bash, but at least read AND comprehend what I wrote before doing so. 

Lol need more of those “it” like players like 1983 World Series MVP Rick Dempsey?

Did the Braves not have any “it” players? That Acuna guy is not bad lol but are they sitting at home?  Dodgers had zero “it” players too? 

Was Ron Swoboda an it player in 1969. 

Your arguments are not convincing. 
Maybe being a race horse aficionado leads you to over value  that an “it” , a “star” is necessary to win .. applies to horses, not baseball. 

Edited by tntoriole

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Lol need more of those “it” like players like 1983 World Series MVP Rick Dempsey?

Did the Braves not have any “it” players? That Acuna guy is not bad lol but are they sitting at home?  Dodgers had zero “it” players too? 

Was Ron Swoboda an it player in 1969. 

Your arguments are not convincing. 
Maybe being a race horse aficionado leads you to over value  that an “it” , a “star” is necessary to win .. applies to horses, not baseball. 

You guys are just proving my point by showing the exception is not the rule.  You are all picking out just a few less talented teams out of many more talented teams that ended up winning it all.  Any team can get hot and ride the wave of momo to a fluke Championship.  I said in another thread that it happens more (but not that often) in baseball and hockey because one goaltender can carry a team or a team on a hot hitting streak or pitching streak can do the same.  Rarely happens in football and basketball.

But over time?  Generally the most talented  teams win much more often than the flukish, less talented teams that you guys keep bringing up.

There is a reason why teams like the Dodgers and Yankees and Red Sox and even the Braves, Cardinals, and Giants are always in contention and winning their fair share of WS.

Because they have had proven stars and talent with that 'it' factor.   Even most of the teams that have won WS in the past 50 years that aren't from that list had a high talent level the year they won. 

The O's this year did not have that level of talent, and those players that did other than maybe GH and AR weren't ready to win.  Again that goes back to my OP.  The O's played over their heads IMO much of the year.  And it was great.  Now lets add a high talent player or 3, bring up the rest of the kids ready for the majors, and next year or for sure the year after they should have a real, legit chance to win it all. 

8 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You guys are just proving my point by showing the exception is not the rule.  You are all picking out just a few less talented teams out of many more talented teams that ended up winning it all.  Any team can get hot and ride the wave of momo to a fluke Championship.  I said in another thread that it happens more (but not that often) in baseball and hockey because one goaltender can carry a team or a team on a hot hitting streak or pitching streak can do the same.  Rarely happens in football and basketball.

But over time?  Generally the most talented  teams win much more often than the flukish, less talented teams that you guys keep bringing up.

There is a reason why teams like the Dodgers and Yankees and Red Sox and even the Braves, Cardinals, and Giants are always in contention and winning their fair share of WS.

Because they have had proven stars and talent with that 'it' factor.   Even most of the teams that have won WS in the past 50 years that aren't from that list had a high talent level the year they won. 

The O's this year did not have that level of talent, and those players that did other than maybe GH and AR weren't ready to win.  Again that goes back to my OP.  The O's played over their heads IMO much of the year.  And it was great.  Now lets add a high talent player or 3, bring up the rest of the kids ready for the majors, and next year or for sure the year after they should have a real, legit chance to win it all. 

I think people mostly agree with the points you’re making.   They had a problem with the thread title.  “may not make the playoffs”.   Seemed kind of dumb at the time and Felix was still healthy.   Looks even dumber now.

”Will not win the WS”.   That’s different than I think they’re a long shot and aren’t as talented as other playoff teams.   You gave them no chance but now acknowledge that yeah, there are teams like that who still manage to win it all.   Arizona doesn’t have many “it” players and they are close to a WS appearance.

Again, a lot of what you say makes sense.  Just admit the remark about making playoffs was way off and don’t act like you made some great prediction on them not winning the WS.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think people mostly agree with the points you’re making.   They had a problem with the thread title.  “may not make the playoffs”.   Seemed kind of dumb at the time and Felix was still healthy.   Looks even dumber now.

”Will not win the WS”.   That’s different than I think they’re a long shot and aren’t as talented as other playoff teams.   You gave them no chance but now acknowledge that yeah, there are teams like that who still manage to win it all.   Arizona doesn’t have many “it” players and they are close to a WS appearance.

Again, a lot of what you say makes sense.  Just admit the remark about making playoffs was way off and don’t act like you made some great prediction on them not winning the WS.  

I can understand that.  I agree.   I guess in defense I did say "may not make the playoffs" and at some point halfway into the thread I said they were a lock at that point to make the playoffs. 

The thing I was sure of was they would not win the WS this year (I wish I had been wrong) and that was strictly based on the reasons I listed previously. 

42 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Any team can get hot and ride the wave of momo to a fluke Championship. 

20 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing I was sure of was they would not win the WS this year (I wish I had been wrong) and that was strictly based on the reasons I listed previously. 

See the problem?

You can't have it both ways.  You can't say any team can get hot and then say you could be sure that the O's couldn't be that team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I don't think you have a good grasp of how baseball actually works.

Of the four major sports, it's the only game where the "stars" don't get to exert their will over the course of the game.  Each player gets 4-5 at bats.  An ace pitcher doesn't get to start every game.

There's no quarterback like Mahomes that can throw for 4 touchdowns.  There's no guard like Michael Jordan that can keep being fed the ball.  There's no hockey goalie like...whatever, hockey is terrible.  There's no Wayne Gretzky that can score goals almost at will.

No, Jorge Mateo has the same amount of at bats as Gunnar Henderson.  

You're arguing that the most talented teams are always in the playoffs which is an obvious argument that no one would refute.  But just because the Orioles don't have a lot of household names right now isn't the reason they lost.  So, no, the Orioles don't have a Jose Altuve who always kills it in the postseason.  They also don't have future Hall of Famers like Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman who went 2-21 in their division series this year.  I would argue that outside of Ohtani, Mookie Betts is probably the most "it" factor guy in the game and yet he went out with a whimper this year, as did the ret of his team.  

You're making an argument that fits for basketball and football and hockey but doesn't fit for baseball.  It doesn't work this way.  

You can't really describe what the "it" factor is because you've failed to do so in all of your posts.  You just keep coming back to "the Orioles didn't have the "it" factor" which is a bit silly and nonsensical, the type of stuff that afternoon drive sports talk show hosts say.  

The Orioles just don't have name recognition at a national level.  Not yet, at least. 

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're arguing that the most talented teams are always in the playoffs which is an obvious argument that no one would refute.  But just because the Orioles don't have a lot of household names right now isn't the reason they lost.  So, no, the Orioles don't have a Jose Altuve who always kills it in the postseason.  They also don't have future Hall of Famers like Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman who went 2-21 in their division series this year.  I would argue that outside of Ohtani, Mookie Betts is probably the most "it" factor guy in the game and yet he went out with a whimper this year, as did the ret of his team.  

There's also the fact that, to whatever extent "it" factor exists in the postseason, you need a way larger sample than three games to determine it. 

You mentioned Jose Altuve, epic postseason hitter. Second in MLB history in postseason HR, and just hit a series-changing high-leverage "it" factor bomb last night. 

Altuve's first season in the playoffs he went 4 for 26 with no extra base hits. And he wasn't an inexperienced rookie—he already had three AS appearances and two seasons of MVP votes. 

• Upvote 2