Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know.  But still.

I didn’t realize Cowser was ya boy. 🤣

It just makes the point of how special Adley and Gunnar really are. That transition is hard for most of them. If we weren’t a playoff team, like 2021, I’d be clamoring for CC to stay. This is a different time. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Except we don’t…we have McKenna in the organization. We have Hays. 

Hays can barely play CF at this point, and I think Hicks is an upgrade with the bat over McKenna.  If you don't think Hicks is enough of an upgrade over McKenna, or if you don't think Hicks' bat makes up for the fact that McKenna is a better fielder, then I buy that.  But that's a separate complaint from sending Cowser down.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m going to say this clearly, as this keeps getting asked and I have said it over and over again.

Colton Cowser is not a CFer. He never has been and he never will be. At no point now or anytime in the future do I believe in his ability to be a CFer.

How does this help your argument? Even playing bad CF fills a team need, unlike Cowser.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

Hays can barely play CF at this point, and I think Hicks is an upgrade with the bat over McKenna.  If you don't think Hicks is enough of an upgrade over McKenna, or if you don't think Hicks' bat makes up for the fact that McKenna is a better fielder, then I buy that.  But that's a separate complaint from sending Cowser down.

I said it a month or so ago..I prefer Hicks over McKenna for this year and still do.

Hell, if we didn’t have Frazier, I would want Hicks here. He does have some level of value.

However, I don’t prefer Hicks over Cowser or Kjerstad.  So, if we need insurance for Mullins, I’m fine with McKenna being that guy and having the better, younger player here and Hicks gone. 

This is more about what we have and what we need and then add in that Hicks just hasn’t been very good this year, outside of a few good weeks and I just don’t see a reason to keep him around.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care if Cowser can play SS either. I don’t want him there or CF. I want him as an everyday COF, so to me, it’s irrelevant if he can play CF.

That is just nuts. Hays and Santander are playing well. You don't bench those guys for a corner OF hitting .140.

• Like 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

That is just nuts. Hays and Santander are playing well. You don't bench those guys for a corner OF hitting .140.

You could move Santander to DH.

But Santander's DH penalty seems to be bigger than others, so I'm not sure if this is a great plan either.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But it’s not.  You are saying he’s lost confidence (when he hasn’t). That’s just made up stuff. I’m actually surprised to see you saying it. I expect it from some on here but not you.

He talked about it recently. Yes, he has had some confidence issues..just as every single pro player goes through anytime they are slumping.

He isn’t overwhelmed up here. He’s not driving the ball and the defense has been shaky, although I think it’s been a little better the last week overall.

But none of this was an issue according to any scout, so I’m not worried about it at all. Just needs to work through it.

His body language is glaring. He walks defeated. The fact that he remains “upbeat” or whatever BS Melanie Newman is spewing after her interview with him is not relevant. He is not in a competitive mode right now. He is as much of a certain out right now as Mateo. He knows it.

He is in between the fastball and breaking ball. It isn’t made up, it’s obvious to some. It’s also just a different opinion than yours. And which scouts are you writing about? You’re in contact with them often? Come on now.

SG, I am surprised to see you aggravated by this move. If he had shown signs recently of coming out of the shell he’s in, I could see it. But he is crawling back inside that shell right now. He is not in a controlled aggressive mode in any phase of the game.

I want him to succeed. Elias and Hyde want that too. They would not have promoted him unless they believed in him. Give it some time, he’ll slow things down. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Then you're going to bench Mountcastle in the middle of a 1.000+ heater? That is an even worse idea.

Isn't Mountcastle playing first?  You'd be platooning O'Hearn and Santander.

Edited by Hallas

30 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Does Cowser inspire confidence in CF either?  Even if Hicks is just okay in CF I think he's looked better there than Cowser has.   If Cowser could play CF even at an average level, then I'd probably leave him up over Hicks, even with his (currently) awful bat.

Neither has looked that good.  Hicks plays very deep and is not that fast.  Cowser gets bad jumps and is very tentative.   Honestly I think Hays is better in CF than either of them.  And that’s not a compliment.  

Just now, Hallas said:

Isn't Mountcastle playing first?

I think it's OHearn most days although that may be changing. You could bench him again not for a guy hitting .115. OHearn has struggled a bit but he's still hitting .295/.831. He would have to hit much worse for a lot longer to lose his job.