Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

43 minutes ago, Malike said:

Losing Felix will surely hurt, but closer is a pretty overrated position and I think they'll manage to get 3 outs in the 9th somehow. It was great having the big K guy back there, but injury happens and you pick up the pieces and move on. I'm not going to speculate that I know what's wrong with his arm, but I'm sure they'll be able to piece the 9th out if they have to.

Not going to understate his loss. It’s huge figuratively and literally. He’s the best closer in baseball. But his value is somewhat diminished in the playoffs because part of what makes him so valuable is his ability to strand runners via strikeout—particularly in reference to the reg season extra inning ghost runner. He’s probably won us an extra half dozen games this year that more of a “pitch-to-contact” closer may not. 

That all goes away with playoff rules. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MacAdoo said:

Not going to understate his loss. It’s huge figuratively and literally. He’s the best closer in baseball. But his value is somewhat diminished in the playoffs because part of what makes him so valuable is his ability to strand runners via strikeout—particularly in reference to the reg season extra inning ghost runner. He’s probably won us an extra half dozen games this year that more of a “pitch-to-contact” closer may not. 

That all goes away with playoff rules. 

Huge loss, agreed, but excellent point.

Edited by Malike

Just now, IllinoisOsFan said:

Sorry if asked previously, but haven't read every post.

Does Perez have Closer "stuff"?

A48D1DAB-17EB-475B-9FC1-D76E109395B5.thumb.jpeg.47a39c5f9d15fb9ad3721dd2ab301b69.jpeg9C292FC7-9E0A-44FD-BCA8-D0F83094E1FB.thumb.jpeg.06e4d7539eb6392465c2730bb66c5b3f.jpeg

It's not even a stuff issue, it's who can get outs. Coulombe has some of the most elite statcast data of all of our pitchers, but the eye test says the "stuff" isn't great because he doesn't have a big fastball. He'd be my guy for the 9th, I think he can get 3 outs.

Is there any evidence that warming up without entering the game leads to arm stress?  I'm not convinced unless the pitchers are getting up to warm up multiple times in a single game which Bautista has not really done much afaik.

Edited by Hallas

3 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Don't really agree with calling it a defense mechanism.  I look at it more like talking the overreactors off the ledge.  As someone else said, every team goes through similar things, and the best teams still find ways to win.

I agree that it's bad news, every team and every fan base gets bad news.  Like I said earlier, it's how we overcome this - if there is a long absence -that will define this team.

I suspect that the relative inactivity at the trade deadline is what will end up defining this team. Another experienced arm at the back of the pen would have been real handy around now.

Edited by deward

8 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Is there any evidence that warming up without entering the game leads to arm stress?  I'm not convinced unless the pitchers are getting up to warm up multiple times in a single game which Bautista has not really done much afaik.

Every pitch is accounted for 

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

I hope we can stretch out Bradish tonight to pitch 8 innings tonight to offset some of the loss of Baustista???  We can always us multiple pitchers in the 9th to close the game???

we're facing the rockies then the white sox, the offense needs to make the closer role irrelevant for the next week.