Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think some folks here overate his actual level of performance this year.

He was heavily in the running for the Cy Young. He has a batting average against in the .140s and has 2 Ks per inning. I’m think you’d agree he’s been pretty good.

From Nathan Ruiz on Twitter:

"Yennier Cano called Félix Bautista’s exit last night “one of the most difficult and sad moments I've gone through in my major league career so far.” He said it was weird to drive to the ballpark today without Bautista, who had to undergo testing, playing his music."

5 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

If I had asked you before last night, “who could we absolutely not lose to make a deep postseason run?”, who would you have chosen? I think Adley (with his bat, glove, and control of the game would have been mine. Maybe Gunnar second. 

If there is one thing I've learned from watching this year's team, its that losing one player doesn't affect their ability to win. Someone else just steps up.

I expect a deep playoff run whether or not Bautista is available.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

He was heavily in the running for the Cy Young. He has a batting average against in the .140s and has 2 Ks per inning. I’m think you’d agree he’s been pretty good.

Seriously, with all due respect, he had no chance of winning the Cy Young, his K rate is 16/9 now, while fantastic, not what it was earlier in the season when he was actually striking out 2 per inning. He's about 46% K rate, he was at 52% at one point. We will miss him sure, but the legend is often bigger than the man.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

If I had asked you before last night, “who could we absolutely not lose to make a deep postseason run?”, who would you have chosen? I think Adley (with his bat, glove, and control of the game would have been mine. Maybe Gunnar second. 

It's not just the individual brilliance of the player, it's the dropoff between the player and his replacement. 2023 Adley --> 2023 McCann isn't as steep of a cliff as 2023 Felix --> 2023 whoever his replacement is.

You have to adjust for importance of the position. But I think when you shrink the sample size to the playoffs where one inning is the difference between a championship and not, closer becomes even more important.

There's a straight faced argument Felix is the most indispensable player.

Edited by Alasdaire