September Roster Expansion

RVAOsFan

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They will just add Hicks. Wells will come up and I’m guessing  Means gets another start and then comes up if all goes well. Voth likely gets DFA’ed.

I'd guess that this is probably right. 

I speculated that Means could be promoted as early as this Friday but after looking at his rehab assignment dates I do think that it's likely that he gets another turn at Norfolk to increase his pitch count. I'd rather see him throw his first ML pitches since the TJ against either the DBacks or Angels but I suppose we'll see. The schedule shows Irvin starting against the DBacks on Friday this week then next Friday against the BoSox.

The question of course is, if Means is only 75% of his pre-TJ self right now, does he help the rotation more than a Cole Irvin or in a spot start to give one of the other guys additional rest? I  haven't seen more than a few pitches from Means thus far but the pitch data looks better than 75% of his prior stuff. I'd put it closer to 90% but that of course can and will change drastically when facing ML hitting. Ryu (who had TJ two months AFTER Means) has been pretty good for the Jays. If Means can deliver similarly for the O's down the stretch it will be massive. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

With Hicks injuries happening, and his slumping since his hit start, I’d like to DFA Hicks. McKenna fits this team much better.

Maybe it is Kjerstad time, but they can go back to Cowser. They need an OF to help Hays, Mullins and Santander get a little rest. They are all banged up.

As far as a pitcher addition, for me it’s Means. I do not necessarily think Wells is a lock to come back. Voth is actually pitching very well, and is apparently healthy, which was an issue for much of the season.

I think that it's completely possible that when Hicks comes off of the IL that he does in fact get DFA'd. I'm not advocating for it and I don't actually think that they will do it but given that both McKenna (and I shudder to write this) and ROH have performed admirably, perhaps they can get by without that fifth outfielder. I don't see them bringing back Cowser to burn his rookie status and service time and I don't see them adding HK as it requires a 40 man move.

Hicks's value is definitely that he hits from both sides of the plate but he also gets on base. Let's not overlook that. Plus, he works counts better than anyone (this includes Adley) so I think there's still value in a guy like Hicks but it certainly has its limit, especially if he can't stay healthy. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I think that it's completely possible that when Hicks comes off of the IL that he does in fact get DFA'd. I'm not advocating for it and I don't actually think that they will do it but given that both McKenna (and I shudder to write this) and ROH have performed admirably, perhaps they can get by without that fifth outfielder. I don't see them bringing back Cowser to burn his rookie status and service time and I don't see them adding HK as it requires a 40 man move.

Hicks's value is definitely that he hits from both sides of the plate but he also gets on base. Let's not overlook that. Plus, he works counts better than anyone (this includes Adley) so I think there's still value in a guy like Hicks but it certainly has its limit, especially if he can't stay healthy. 

Cowser’s rookie status isn’t going to change if they bring him up.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Kjerstad is not coming up.  If they were going with a prospect it would be Cowser anyway.  But they won't.

Hicks will come up and McKenna will remain.  Wells will be the addition, and they will find a spot for Means when he's ready.

I agree with all. Kjerstad has been in a cold streak for a bit now as well.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Have they confirmed if Means will be SP or bullpen? If he's starting, I wonder what they'll do. Flaherty is currently the weakest link and dealing with "not bouncing back", so I wonder if they'd slap him on the IL. 

My guess would be Irvin to the bullpen. Flaherty still has the most upside and likelihood of pitching in the playoffs if he can get going in September. Irvin to the bullpen would leave us with Bradish/Grayson/Kremer and one of Gibson/Flaherty/Means. Irvin would be there to give us innings if anyone has a rough start and needs to get pulled.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

My guess would be Irvin to the bullpen. Flaherty still has the most upside and likelihood of pitching in the playoffs if he can get going in September. Irvin to the bullpen would leave us with Bradish/Grayson/Kremer and one of Gibson/Flaherty/Means. Irvin would be there to give us innings if anyone has a rough start and needs to get pulled.

This makes sense, I agree. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser’s rookie status isn’t going to change if they bring him up.

I think that with the new CBA that 45 Total Days on the Active Roster supersedes the 130 ABs rule. He was on the active roster from 07/05/23 - 8/14/23 which is 40 Days.. unless I've read that wrong, which is certainly possible but that's the info that I find on the rookie status and service time info 

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

There's no real good argument for Kjerstad.  Even if you want the "upside" as opposed to the "vet" Cowser would still be your man.

Plus Cowser is better defensively and has more speed. I don't see anyway Kjerstad comes up this season without an injury to an outfielder.