O's 2024 Infield

larrytt

The IF to start the 2024 season won’t be the same as it will be to end the 2024 season. Urias, and Mateo, are guys that are worth more to us than they would be in a trade. I see Ortiz replacing Frazier, and we go with a similar 5 man rotation as this year.

Deep depth is how we can consistently compete for the division. It makes no sense to strip the team down to a 26 man team, when we can basically have a 35 man roster year in/year out, with player options and positional flexibility. 

Elias has really only has one tough decision this offseason, and that is what to do with Santa. Deciding when to add Jackson Holliday is solely a financial decision.  I like that they did promote him to AAA.

Postseason eligibility question… There has to be a way just like the old rules that if you add a player to the 60 man IL than you can bring up another player from your own organization. 

For example, let’s say Adley and/or McCann gets hurt over the last month, we’re really not going to have a catcher for the postseason?

There has to be the 60 man IL rule. Which then would make sense as to why Holliday is in AAA. If there were an injury, or two, then he would be in consideration to be added. Especially if it were Gunnar. 

Teoscar will be interesting to follow this offseason.     He's finishing strongly to redeem somewhat what was once looking like a pretty weak year.

Last winter, the Mariners needing offense traded Erik Swanson (a good setup guy with a bunch of years of control) for him.     Dipoto may have hoped he might net a QO on the back end.

Teoscar 10.15.1992 has a 119 career OPS+ in 3100 PA; Santander 10.19.1994 has a 109 OPS+ in 2300 PA.

In Mariners terms, that might become something like Matt Brash for Santander this winter.

Big picture I hope Coby Mayo becomes something like Austin Riley, and challenges the Orioles to pivot to something a little more Braves like.

I think Mayo/Basallo will in time be priority plays over even Westburg, and if Mayo can hold 3B a little while Mayo-Gunnar-Holliday-Basallo flirt with being a 20-win infield.

Maybe it’s the highlights lately, Jordan Westburg looks like an excellent defender. Surprised, no one talked up his defense (MLBpipeline definitely did not) when he was in the minors. 

Makes you wonder about Westburg’s impact if we didn’t sign Frazier?

Edited by Chaka Garcia

34 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I predict that Santander is traded this offseason. He is due a pretty big raise in arbitration and he's entering his walk year. They shouldn't extend him so this is the time to flip him for younger prospects. 

They are trying to win and he is the only one of the guys that need to be moved that hits from both sides of the plate.  I would move either Mountcastle or Hays.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Maybe it’s the highlights lately, Jordan Westburg looks like an excellent defender. Surprised, no one talked up his defense (MLBpipeline definitely did not) when he was in the minors. 

It is surprising but definitely happens.  Take a look at what various prospect sites said about Arenado's fielding before he came up with Colorado.  It wasn't complimentary.  

51 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

At 20 years old I don’t see him having the power numbers to compete for ROY next year, and he will probably be part of a middle infield/DH rotation with Westburg and Ortiz.

You must have missed where he recently said his main goals this offseason are to get bigger, stronger and faster.  He’s already put on nearly 20 pounds since being drafted.  He might still be listed at 185lbs officially on various websites, but that’s no longer accurate. 

19 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Westburg has surprising speed. That was definitely a pleasant surprise. He runs hard. 

Whether we win the WS or not, trading away Santander will be a tough sell.  Santa 2024 + draft pick, is worth more to us than what he would likely bring in a trade return. Especially when you consider how tight the division will always be. The division title and the first round bye is so important. 

Ortiz replaces Frazier. Means replaces Gibson. Other than Elias looking for an optionable bullpen piece, I don’t think we see more offseason moves. Or need them. 

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Postseason eligibility question… There has to be a way just like the old rules that if you add a player to the 60 man IL than you can bring up another player from your own organization. 

For example, let’s say Adley and/or McCann gets hurt over the last month, we’re really not going to have a catcher for the postseason?

There has to be the 60 man IL rule. Which then would make sense as to why Holliday is in AAA. If there were an injury, or two, then he would be in consideration to be added. Especially if it were Gunnar. 

Do we have any other catchers on the 40 man? Maybe anyone in the organization all the way down the minors can replace a 60 day IL? They just need to be in the organization by Sept 1st?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Westburg has surprising speed. That was definitely a pleasant surprise. He runs hard. 

Whether we win the WS or not, trading away Santander will be a tough sell.  Santa 2024 + draft pick, is worth more to us than what he would likely bring in a trade return. Especially when you consider how tight the division will always be. The division title and the first round bye is so important. 

Ortiz replaces Frazier. Means replaces Gibson. Other than Elias looking for an optionable bullpen piece, I don’t think we see more offseason moves. Or need them. 

Cowser replaces Hicks?

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

You must have missed where he recently said his main goals this offseason are to get bigger, stronger and faster.  He’s already put on nearly 20 pounds since being drafted.  He might still be listed at 185lbs officially on various websites, but that’s no longer accurate. 

Sounds like some innovative stuff. I hope no other young prospects find out about this type of offseason program.