Pen in October

eddie83

I get the concern but if we win the division it changes it all. 

5 days off 

2 games

day off 

2 games 

day off 

one game 

That’s if the series goes 5 games. You will not see the same pen usage in October. It will be completely different. It’s also the luck of the draw that the Orioles are being pushed so hard by TB. The biggest concern is pushing hard down the stretch and winding up in the WC series. Only one day off and chance of 3 straight. 

• Upvote 2

hard to speculate what our BP will look like because only a select few know if Batista is an option, which starter goes to the pen etc. but we do know Perez, Cano, Coulombe, Hall are probably locks... Webb may be locked not because he's been dominant of late but because all the other options have been bad or VERY bad. 

I haven't been keeping up with Norfolk but I have to wonder how all the pitchers who had helped us on the Major League Team earlier in the season are doing there. 

I think if we see more of Flaherty coming out of the Bullpen and he does well, then he might be a guy considered for the playoff roster inside the bullpen, because unlike most of the rest of the team, he's a guy who has playoff experience. The way he battles through exhaustion yesterday to put up almost 3 scoreless innings was encouraging.

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

It sounds like there is a real effort to get Bautista back for the playoffs. Hopefully he's pitching without pain and can be effective. That would be huge for our chances. Really, really sucks that he got hurt.

Would be great but I’m not optimistic. 

I just saying a Division win will put all the pen in better shape. Those off days in October change everything. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Would be great but I’m not optimistic. 

I just saying a Division win will put all the pen in better shape. Those off days in October change everything. 

Really changed things for the Braves. They weren't the same team after the week off, their manager was saying it again today, he's trying to figure out how to not make that happen again this year, they are concerned with the off time.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

Really changed things for the Braves. They weren't the same team after the week off, their manager was saying it again today, he's trying to figure out how to not make that happen again this year, they are concerned with the off time.

I know. 

i think our odds are much greater with rest though. Pitching needs it. Astros had that rest last year and still won. Always examples each way. Fried apparently was sick in Game 1 and lost. Atlanta pitched bad that series. 

The original bullpen plan was to rely on guys like Bautista, Tate, Akin, Givens and Wells if he wasn't starting.  It's been a pretty interesting process this year involving about 20 guys, many of whom have been understandably not very good.  I don't feel great about the October pen but having more days off will certainly help.

I think both Gibson and Flaherty need to be in the bullpen in October, with Means in the starting rotation.  Obviously you don't want them pitching back to back games but I could see them pitching 2-3 inning stints in the middle innings then taking 2 days rest.  

If I was the O's, I would replace Gibson with Irvin in the rotation from this point on, so that Gibson can get used to being in the bullpen.  I assume that's where Flaherty will be the rest of the regular season as well.  

Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Hall, Gibson, Flaherty and Irvin as a long reliever is potentially an okay bullpen.  At this point I wouldn't trust Webb, Fuji or Baumann in a close game.  The O's should release Lopez and give Kreihbel a look the rest of the way. 

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I haven't been keeping up with Norfolk but I have to wonder how all the pitchers who had helped us on the Major League Team earlier in the season are doing there. 

I think if we see more of Flaherty coming out of the Bullpen and he does well, then he might be a guy considered for the playoff roster inside the bullpen, because unlike most of the rest of the team, he's a guy who has playoff experience. The way he battles through exhaustion yesterday to put up almost 3 scoreless innings was encouraging.

I caught the last couple of innings last night.  Vespi looked ok.  Baker was hit hard.  I don’t see how TPTB can trust him in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think both Gibson and Flaherty need to be in the bullpen in October, with Means in the starting rotation.  Obviously you don't want them pitching back to back games but I could see them pitching 2-3 inning stints in the middle innings then taking 2 days rest.  

If I was the O's, I would replace Gibson with Irvin in the rotation from this point on, so that Gibson can get used to being in the bullpen.  I assume that's where Flaherty will be the rest of the regular season as well.  

Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Hall, Gibson, Flaherty and Irvin as a long reliever is potentially an okay bullpen.  At this point I wouldn't trust Webb, Fuji or Baumann in a close game.  The O's should release Lopez and give Kreihbel a look the rest of the way. 

A planned piggyback might be a possibility.  Lefty Means/Irvin goes 3+ and righty Flaherty/Gibson goes 3+ (or vice versa).  Each pitcher would only face hitters twice max (unless they’re dealing and we have a solid lead).  

I'm not really concerned about rest but rather the quality of the arms we have left. Right now Cano and Perez are the only ones pitching consistently at a high level. They might be good for two innings using favorable matchups. It's not going to be like other teams where the game is over if they have the lead after five. We are going to need our starters to go deep and our less consistent guys to step up. Maybe Hall and Webb are enough.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Flaherty?  Wells?  Gibson?  Irvin?  Could they play up in one inning roles?  Fuji and Lopez can’t be trusted. 

With all of the RP struggling, I do wonder if the play is old school the starters are the best pitchers, and all 4 of the lead starters, Flaherty, Gibson and Irvin combine with Cano, with Hall and Coulombe just mixing in for lefties here and there.

The Yankees and Guardians played a 5-game ALDS last year.

For NYY, 6 pitchers threw 44 out of 46 innings.

For CLE, the top 6 only got to 29 out of 46 as they were more of a reliever team.    In that series, they relegated Aaron Civale to the Philadelphia Kyle Gibson role, where he was almost entirely hidden until he got a Game 5 start and was knocked out of the game after facing 5 batters.    CLE pitched Cal Quantrill in Games 1 and 4 before going to Civale.

I think one of Grayson or Bradish will be tasked to do the Gerrit 2 out of 5 deal.

One luxury if we clinch a few days ahead would be giving whoever out of Gibson, Means or Kremer that would become a "follower" a practice rep in game.

• Upvote 1