How Many Stick Around to Next Year?

Idaho_OriolesFan

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The way that we all just dismiss Stowers is just wrong.

Stowers put up fantastic numbers this season. Here's what I'm thinking. If the top prospects in the system were staggered a little more among AAA/AA/A, not to mention having 3 solid OFs in Hays/Mullins/Santander, there would be less likelihood of dismissing a guy like Stowers. It's like 100 cars all arriving at a single toll booth at once instead of being spread out over miles. 

These are the players I would suggest moving on from

• Urias and Mateo - Westburg and Ortiz can cover everything those 2 did. 
  • McKenna and Hicks - Cowser and Kjerstad take over their roles

I'm also thinking that Mayo will have his chance to cover for any Mountcastle injury at some point in 2024. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm also thinking that Mayo will have his chance to cover for any Mountcastle injury at some point in 2024. 

This is pretty much where I am at if they don't trade Hays or Santander. If they do, McKenna can stick around for a while as I think he is a better fit as a reserve outfielder than Cowser or Kjerstad.

They can keep one of Urias or Mateo and just have Ortiz take Frazier's at-bats.

Also, O'Hearn's line the last two months of the season was .267/.289/.429. I'm not sure he hits enough to hold on to his spot next season.

Edited by MurphDogg

If we get deep into the playoffs, like make it to the World Series deep, I would just keep everyone that is not a free agent, and run it back without trading players like Mullins, Hays, Santander, Urias, Mateo, O'hearn, etc... away. If you win the AL, then the rookies can wait one more season or part of a season. 

38 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Cowser and Kjerstad can replace McKenna and Hicks but I don’t see how they take on their roles.  McKenna is clearly a plus defender in all 3 outfield spots and provides a RH bat to complement Mullins.  Cowser isn’t that.  I think Kjerstad can probably do most of the things Hicks does except SH and we don’t know that much about Kjerstads defense although I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

This is pretty much where I am at if they don't trade Hays or Santander. If they do, McKenna can stick around for a while as I think he is a better fit as a reserve outfielder than Cowser or Kjerstad.

They can keep one of Urias or Mateo and just have Ortiz take Frazier's at-bats.

Also, O'Hearn's line the last two months of the season was .267/.289/.429. I'm not sure he hits enough to hold on to his spot next season.

What is O'Hearn's contract status?

McKenna is RH and Hicks is a SH

Kjerstad  and Cowser are LH

The pairs don't fill the same roles.  I not against moving McKenna and Hicks and I'm not against rostering Kjerstad and Cowser.  But it's not a simple two for two transactions.  I still think that Mayo should get time in right field at fall camp and spring training.  With his arm strength, that seems like a better position for him than 1B and provides more lefty/righty balance in the outfield.

34 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

McKenna is RH and Hicks is a SH

Kjerstad  and Cowser are LH

The pairs don't fill the same roles.  I not against moving McKenna and Hicks and I'm not against rostering Kjerstad and Cowser.  But it's not a simple two for two transactions.  I still think that Mayo should get time in right field at fall camp and spring training.  With his arm strength, that seems like a better position for him than 1B and provides more lefty/righty balance in the outfield.

Anything that gets Mayo on the roster sounds great to me. 

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I totally agree with this.  I expect that Stowers might have more value to us as a trade piece than as a roster piece at this point.....if Cowser is ahead of him on the depth chart.  With Kjerstad in the outfield mix, I don't see us keeping two more left handed hitting outfielders.   A lot will also depend on whether Hays and Santander are both on the roster next year, or if one of them gets moved.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not sure I’d go with fantastic. Of players with at least 250 PA in AAA, he was 5th on the team.  But, he did have a 116 wRC+, which is certainly very good.  

He hit 20 HR and 57 RBI in about 300 PAs. That isn't fantastic?