How Many Stick Around to Next Year?

Idaho_OriolesFan

15 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Long term, what about Adley?

Adley will be a 29 year old catcher likely asking for a 10/300+ contract. I don’t see the current regime doing that. If you could extend him now through his age 32-33 season I would. No way I’m paying him $30+ per through age 39.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...if we go deep in the playoffs, why wouldn't Hicks want to stay here for the league minimum?

Why would we want him to? Who does he make the team over?

The salary is unimportant. The roster spot is the key.

Every year, there are always Aaron Hicks type guys available for a waiver pick up. I see no reason to start the year with one of them when we have so many other options. If we end up needing an Aaron Hicks, we will find one.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

The forgotten man. Will be 26 in Spring Training 2024. 

2023: 21 bombs in 258 AB + a .954 OPS. 

And it’s not like he was only good because of his age and going through the league again. He has always produced at a high level.

Honestly, I can see a scenario where it makes sense to move Cowser in a trade and have Stowers be the starter for him.

I say this as someone who isn’t down on Cowser but just the idea that Cowser is likely able to fetch a lot more in trade and that the scenario of what Cowser gets in a trade plus Stowers starting everyday may be more appealing vs the other way around.

14 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

But the Rays did lock up some of their best hitters -- mainly Evan Longoria and Wander Franco.  I know Santander is not at that level, but I think there's a good chance Santander is with the team to start next season.  I think it's a mistake to assume someone is ready to take over for him until he proves it.  If not then trade for or sign someone who is -- if he must be traded now or pretty soon. 

I don't trust prospect rankings.  In 2016 Jorge Mateo was the Yankees top prospect, just ahead of Aaron Judge.  

Also, the Orioles don't really have the pitching in the minors the way the Rays always seem to.  Can't imagine Means or any decent pitcher getting traded for that reason.  And for a long time the Rays weren't a very good hitting team, which I think is a big reason the Rays never tried to lock up their position players until guys like Evan Longoria started to emerge, though there may be a bit more to it than that.

Yes and based on what we’ve seen those guy would be Gunnar and Bradish. You sell high on Santander and Mullins. We have tons of hitting depth. So Elias can deal them and then also have guys like Norby and Ortiz that he can also deal. I trust Elias and he has plenty of Ammo. Those who are thinking we will have 4-5 high paid guys in 4 or 5 years aren’t paying attention. I like Santander but he’s not a stud.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And it’s not like he was only good because of his age and going through the league again. He has always produced at a high level.

Honestly, I can see a scenario where it makes sense to move Cowser in a trade and have Stowers be the starter for him.

I say this as someone who isn’t down on Cowser but just the idea that Cowser is likely able to fetch a lot more in trade and that the scenario of what Cowser gets in a trade plus Stowers starting everyday may be more appealing vs the other way around.

They are similar players, agreed.

Cowser probably a little bit better defensively & strike zone discerning. Stowers probably has a little more power. 

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes and based on what we’ve seen those guy would be Gunnar and Bradish. 

I assume you mean that the guys you sign long-term are Gunnar and Bradish.  I agree on Gunnar, but I disagree with a long-term contract for a pitcher.  Ride him hard while he's here.  Give him a QO if he earns that or trade him before his final year of arbitration.  And try to bring back the next Kyle Bradish in trade or draft.

3 hours ago, forphase1 said:

It's what is expected of an organization that has the #1 farm system in baseball.   You replace some guys with youth.  Be it Ortiz//Holiday/Norby replacing Mateo/Frazier, Mayo replacing Mountcastle or Cowser/Kjerstad replacing Santander/Hays/Hicks, it's the nature of the beast.   Now I'm not suggesting that ALL of those are going to happen or even should happen, but I do expect to see a few of those changes. 

I get that but we have all off-season to discuss that.  There's Rule 5, free agency, arbitration, etc.  I'm just amazed that the ink hasn't deried on the 2023 story and some are already clamoring/predicting changes.  Why can't we just sit back and see where this ride ends?

7 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

I get that but we have all off-season to discuss that.  There's Rule 5, free agency, arbitration, etc.  I'm just amazed that the ink hasn't deried on the 2023 story and some are already clamoring/predicting changes.  Why can't we just sit back and see where this ride ends?

Most of us can multitask and both enjoy this year AND discuss the future at the same time.   Looking forward to next year is not discounting the current season any more than focusing on the now is to ignore next year. 

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Most of us can multitask and both enjoy this year AND discuss the future at the same time.   Looking forward to next year is not discounting the current season any more than focusing on the now is to ignore next year. 

Well by all means, carry on then.

34 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I assume you mean that the guys you sign long-term are Gunnar and Bradish.  I agree on Gunnar, but I disagree with a long-term contract for a pitcher.  Ride him hard while he's here.  Give him a QO if he earns that or trade him before his final year of arbitration.  And try to bring back the next Kyle Bradish in trade or draft.

So if he’s a #1 over the next 2-3 years you’d trade him? 

25 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

Chuck ….nobody is dismissing now. We have almost a week to ponder stuff. I really have no interest in discussing the Jays-Rays series. Whomever we get I’m hoping we destroy them. 

So why not discuss other stuff? There are going to be changes based on Angelos, upgrades Elias would make, etc. If you don’t wish to discuss it why not just ignore the topic? 

• Upvote 1