2024 Arb projections and decisions

btdart20

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think it is almost a lock that one of Hays/Mullins/Santander will not be on the team next year.   The numbers dictate it, although no matter which of the 3 guys goes, I will miss him and his contributions tot he team quite a bit.

Who is our RH bat that can play at Hays level in LF? And who plays CF as well as Mullins?

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Who is our RH bat that can play at Hays level in LF? And who plays CF as well as Mullins?

Good points, which might make it likely that Santander is the odd man out (also the fact that he is the most expensive of the 3 and has the least amount of team control).

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I also think the number for Means is high.  Look at Alex Cobb when he was at Tampa. He got $4 mm in Arb 1, ended up needing TJ surgery and missed the year, got $4 mm again in Arb 2, pitched in 5 games at the end of the year and got a courtesy raise to $4.2 mm for Arb 3.   Means earned $2.95 mm in Arb 1, missed almost the whole year with TJ, got $2.975 mm in Arb 2 and pitched in 5 games at the end of the year.   So now his salary is going to double?  I don’t think so.  He did pitch a lot better in his 5 games (2.66 ERA) than Cobb did (8.59), but either way, it’s five games and his raise won’t be that big.  I’d say in the $4 mm neighborhood for 2024.   But, I wouldn’t mind if the O’s signed him to an extension.   

I haven't thought about it much either but Means was the one that jumped out at me too.  Means signed a 2-year deal instead of going through Arb though.  But yeah, I can't see his annual contract doubling either.

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Who is our RH bat that can play at Hays level in LF?

Are you just limiting our search to in-house options?  Maybe only Norby.  But RH bats aren't that expensive in general.  Aaron Hicks could come back at league minimum.  Adam Duvall.  Whit Merrifield.  Robbie Grossman.  Harrison Bader.  Varying degrees of offense/defense in that grouping.  Other than Hicks' contract, I can't imagine any of them will get more than $6m as a FA next year.  Not saying Hays isn't back, but that niche isn't very specialized.  

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Are you just limiting our search to in-house options?  Maybe only Norby.  But RH bats aren't that expensive in general.  Aaron Hicks could come back at league minimum.  Adam Duvall.  Whit Merrifield.  Robbie Grossman.  Harrison Bader.  Varying degrees of offense/defense in that grouping.  Other than Hicks' contract, I can't imagine any of them will get more than $6m as a FA next year.  Not saying Hays isn't back, but that niche isn't very specialized.  

I assume all these guys are free agents? If so, they could be signed by a team instead of trading for Hays.