Which type of high-profile move would make you happier?

Frobby

Which type of high-profile move would make you happier  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which typo of high-profile move would make you happier?

• Signing a very good free agent to a long term deal
    • Signing one of the Orioles’ young stars to a multi-year extension

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/20/23 at 21:02

Let’s assume we sign a player to a significant contract this winter.  Would you prefer that it be a big free agent signing, or an extension for one of our young star players?

Obviously, this could depend on exactly who it is and what the contract terms are.  But, just assume the contract is at market rates/length for the type of contract it is (free agent vs. extension).  And either way, assume we’re talking about a significant player (e.g., Adley or Gunnar on the extension side).   

Which would make you happier, and why?   On the one hand, signing a free agent immediately improves the team, whereas an extension to an existing player doesn’t.   On the other hand, extensions are usually more cost-effective assures in the long run, and an extension that a player we’ve come to know and care about will be here for a long time.  

Thoughts?  I know in the real world this isn’t necessarily an either/or proposition.  But just play along. 

Edited by Frobby

I picked free agent. Signing a current player you already control doesn't add incremental talent to the team for next year where adding an free agent who hopefully replaces a lesser player does. While I wouldn't be upset if we signed one of the young players to an extension, it's not important to me. By not signing, it gives these players more incentive to perform since their salary increase depends on performance. Plus, the 2 most talked about - I doubt Gunnar has any desire to sign and Adley may not either.

Signing a FA starting pitcher that would be an upgrade (preferably left-handed and use to pitch in the AL East 😄) would make me happy. Signing Gunner to a long term contract would make me HAPPIER! Ecstatic even! Gunner > Manny on many fronts as far as I am concerned. But, I have learned to temper expectations. Nice to dream though!

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Extension is much more likely to be team-friendly because we have some leverage. Plus I like our guys and prefer to keep them if we can. 

Of course, many teams do a combination of the two. 

Why do we have leverage?  We have basically zero leverage in these deals. We have the players locked up for X amount of time. We want to keep them longer than that but the players hold all the cards if they want to do that or not.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do we have leverage?  We have basically zero leverage in these deals. We have the players locked up for X amount of time. We want to keep them longer than that but the players hold all the cards if they want to do that or not.

The players are making $700k and guaranteed nothing if they suffer a career ending injury. $100M guaranteed takes care of their family and a few additional generations for life. I'd say that's a pretty strong incentive to sign a team friendly deal, and that's why players like Acuna and Robert are signing these deals. If it works out, the value that the team gets is typically much higher than we are seeing with free agents signing on the open market. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

The players are making $700k and guaranteed nothing if they suffer a career ending injury. $100M guaranteed takes care of their family and a few additional generations for life. I'd say that's a pretty strong incentive to sign a team friendly deal, and that's why players like Acuna and Robert are signing these deals. If it works out, the value that the team gets is typically much higher than we are seeing with free agents signing on the open market. 

We cans provide security, sure…but that doesn’t mean we have leverage. Players either want to or don’t want to sign these deals and delay their free agency. 

They have all the leverage here.