"Beliefs Bigger than Baseball"

glenn__davis

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Thank you for the kind thoughts. I am doing much better. I asked the Lord to help me January 26th. Since then my life has been much better. Stable job, great place to live, and a group of wonderful friends that helped the entire time. I am so grateful for my blessings. Again, it is what worked for me. Not trying to preach. But I did become an Ordained Minister about 2 months ago.

Also have to give thanks for the VA. I got my VA Benefits about 6 months ago and that was a huge help. I'm am 62 and never thought to apply for them.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Thank you for the kind thoughts. I am doing much better. I asked the Lord to help me January 26th. Since then my life has been much better. Stable job, great place to live, and a group of wonderful friends that helped the entire time. I am so grateful for my blessings. Again, it is what worked for me. Not trying to preach. But I did become an Ordained Minister about 2 months ago.

My father in law was in Vietnam. Suffered many injuries to the point where he got 3 Purple Hearts and spent 2 years of his life at Walter Reed.

He will tell you that his faith is what got him through it. If you have the belief in this stuff, it’s a powerful thing for the believer.

I would bet this helped some of these guys to get over the loss pretty quickly.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As long as being “Christians first” is tolerant and think they are no better than “Jews first”, “Hindus first”, “Agnostic and Atheists first”, it’s ok with me.   It’s great that they have common ground and something that brings them closer together.

I was brought up Catholic but I always cringe when I hear someone say “I’m a good Christian” as if it makes them better.   Just my two cents.  I prefer to keep state and religion separate and baseball and religion separate.  To each his own.  By the way, my first favorite Oriole was Brooks Robinson and I remember my mother pointing out an article that discussed him being “a good Christian”.   It was nice to know but more important that he was just a good guy.

I agree!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I'm not a Catholic, so I can't speak for them of course.  Or am I someone who claims that all Catholics are not Christians, either.  That said my ex's Dad claimed he was a Catholic and not a Christian because, in his words, he followed the teachings of the Catholic church and the Pope moreso than he did the teaching of Christ.  

One uninformed person does not make it so....
However, the people in my life are those I like sitting down with, maybe having a beer, and talking about things that are not always dramatic.

Edited by Osornot
add

17 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm Catholic and I do a Saturday bible study with friends from all denominations, and it works great, it's a men's group and we all look forward to it. I've never met a Catholic who thought the Pope was higher on the list than Christ, but what do I know?

I have the exact same experience.  I think many of those ideas such as "Catholics not being Christian" and allegiance to the Pope are generational specifically prior to Vatican ll.  

• Upvote 3

On 10/18/2023 at 10:25 AM, Frobby said:

Speaking as a non-Christian, I’m very comfortable with people who take a positive message from their religion,  and share their faith with like-minded people.  

Yeah, I mean the boys want to get together and read the book - good for them. Makes them feel good and gives them a sense of peace and good times? Awesome. I mean I don't care what the book is - the Bible? Tolkien? Its all good man so long as the actions you take from that fellowship are good and kind and add joy to the world. 

Good for them. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You never know.  I read all four Gospels about two years ago.  

8 years of Catholic school and they never made us do that AND I never wanted to.  I don’t even have a clue how much that is.   Did you rate them 1-4?    I want to say Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.   Is the prodigal son new or Old Testament?   That one always bothered me but it wasn’t the only one.  lol

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

8 years of Catholic school and they never made us do that AND I never wanted to.  I don’t even have a clue how much that is.   Did you rate them 1-4?    I want to say Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.   Is the prodigal son new or Old Testament?   That one always bothered me but it wasn’t the only one.  lol

Honestly, they’re pretty redundant of each other.  At some point I want to read the other works like the Apostles, etc.   

What did strike me was that the central and very dominant message is very different than the things that people spend their time arguing about today on a political level.   

• Upvote 3