Which of our AAA prospects has the biggest impact on 2024?

Frobby

Which of our AAA prospects has the biggest impact in 2024?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our AAA prospects has the biggest impact in 2024?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/23 at 03:09

11 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Does anyone think Seth Johnson could a surprise starter for us in 2024? Wouldn't it be amazing if we had Seth and Popvich break out next year as starters?

I have high hopes for  Johnson.   More for 2025 than 2024 but I would love to see him prove he belongs earlier.

I think we could see McDermott in the majors in 2024.

7 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I went with Kjerstad. Correct me if I’m wrong. I thought you only get the draft pick if they are on the OD roster. They get the full service time if they finish top 2 or 3 I don’t remember in ROY. 

Yes, the draft pick comes into play as long as they're up within the first couple of weeks of the season. I believe it was 4/15 this season. 

Adleys kinda back fired because he played well enough to earn a full season in 2022 because of his ROY finish and I don't think they received any compensation either.

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Adleys kinda back fired because he played well enough to earn a full season in 2022 because of his ROY finish and I don't think they received any compensation either.

Adley was hurt to begin the season. Whatcha gonna do?   

6 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Yes, the draft pick comes into play as long as they're up within the first couple of weeks of the season. I believe it was 4/15 this season. 

It looks like the O's received a draft pick in the non-existing International Draft for Adley's second place finish in last year's ROY.

Here is a good article that explains it fairly well. The threshold for draft pick compensation is 172 days. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-prospect-promotion-incentive-rookie-year-cba/ja5ts8eaxcuv85xujnzriafb

The reason only Rodríguez earned a pick for his team is he's the only player who these stipulations apply to who spent the minimum of 172 days on the roster.

I voted Holliday, but it could really be him or Kjerstad as both should be on the Opening Day roster. Cowser, Mayo, Ortiz, and Norby could all see significant time, too, depending on the offseason and if any of them become trade bait. McDermott and Povich meanwhile are likely our two biggest insurance plans for the rotation--at least in the minors--behind Wells, Irvin and Hall who I expect to all be in the bullpen (barring injury). It's also easy to sleep on Stowers, but he's a guy that we would still all be clamoring for just a few years ago. 

The fact that Frobby could make this poll and go nine deep with realistic (even if a few are a bit of a stretch) options is just mindboggling.  

This really is a fascinating thread. You mentioned 9 players without mentioning Seth Johnson, Sam Basallo or Dylan Beavers. All of them could be options by September if they have great years. I know that's not the point of the thread, but what team ever had 12 guys like that within shouting distance of the majors?

For what it's worth, I voted for Kjerstad, but feel like Mayo hasn't gotten quite enough love in this thread. I say there's a non-zero chance that he's the guy here on opening day in hopes of getting the ROY award. I'm not betting on that, but if Tony's right about his upside (Kris Bryant was mentioned once as a comp), than why not him?

Coming off of TJ and having pitched in only 1 AA game in his career, I don't see anyway he is in Baltimore this year.  Especially since they no longer have unlimited access to the 40 man roster in September.  Lots of potential, but I doubt we see it in the bigs in '24.