2023 Top 75 Prospects

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What makes you think Prieto is remotely in the same conversation as a prospect as Norby and Povich (#11 and #13) on the list. For that matter, what makes you think he's more than Hanser Alberto or Terrin Vavra at the ML level?

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What makes you think Prieto is remotely in the same conversation as a prospect as Norby and Povich (#11 and #13) on the list. For that matter, what makes you think he's more than Hanser Alberto or Terrin Vavra at the ML level?

I said between 12 and 20.  He put up good  numbers in AAA and can play a passable 2B.  Where was he ranked last year?

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2023 Top 50 Prospects
  • Tony-OH changed the title to 2023 Top 75 Prospects
11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

51-75 Prospects posted here.

Any names you didn't know? 

Any names you're surprised I didn't have on the list?

Mildly surprised not on the top 75.

Yasmil Bucce

Anderson De Los Santos

Dylan Heid

P.S.  Great list and thanks for all of the work you did.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mildly surprised not on the top 75.

Yasmil Bucce

Anderson De Los Santos

Dylan Heid

P.S.  Great list and thanks for all of the work you did.

Bucce is one of those guys that finally hit a little bit last year, but didn't get a ton of playing time overall and 20Ks in just 74 PA gives me pause when it doesn't come with any real power. He'll have to make Delmarva next year and we'll see how he does.

Anderson DeLos Santos is still a bit interesting and I actually wrote up a quick bio for him before I knocked him off the list: Only 19-years old last season at Delmarva, Del Los Santos didn’t put up all that impressive of numbers including a 104-31 K-BB ratio in 421 PAs. But he has a little pop in the bat and although he made a few too many errors, shows some athleticism at 3B. Probably will need to repeat Delmarva next year at 20-years old but has some tools to work from and worth keeping an eye on.

Same thing with Heid: Put up good numbers at AA holding batters to a .185/.280/.265/.545 slash line mostly at Aberdeen. Got a late season callup to Bowie but at 25 years old, he's long in the tooth for a prospect. He's a 91-93 MPH guy with so decent carry and his slider flashes average on occasion wit good depth. The stuff just doesn't suggest he's going to have success at the major league level though.

I also did Kade Strowd who got bumped at the end.

Kade Strowd: Fastball slider pitcher that sat 94-96 but who can flash 97-98 on occasion. The slider has high spin and late break and can give minor league right-handed hitters fits, but he doesn't have much to defend himself against lefties and his command wavers too often.

As for Heid, the stats say he's worth watching, but the age and stuff go "eh". Can't rule him out, but I didn't see anything that suggested major league stuff.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

51-75 Prospects posted here.

Any names you didn't know? 

Any names you're surprised I didn't have on the list?

Your top 75 is must-read. Thanks for putting it together, as always.

There was some talk around some of us unwashed fans of Trey McGough being protected in the Rule V draft, yet he's not even in your top 75. I'm not bothered that he wasn't protected, but is there upside? Did his age play a big role?

He was on a decent track until 2021/2022 when I guess he got injured. Didn't get a ton of innings last year, but was reportedly somewhat impressive when he did start throwing again. I'd love to hear more about him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Your top 75 is must-read. Thanks for putting it together, as always.

There was some talk around some of us unwashed fans of Trey McGough being protected in the Rule V draft, yet he's not even in your top 75. I'm not bothered that he wasn't protected, but is there upside? Did his age play a big role?

He was on a decent track until 2021/2022 when I guess he got injured. Didn't get a ton of innings last year, but was reportedly somewhat impressive when he did start throwing again. I'd love to hear more about him.

I went back and watched several starts of McGough, and I couldn't for the life of me see why anyone would think he needs to be considered for a protection. He's a 89-90 MPH left-hander with inconsistent below average secondaries. I didn't see him before the injury so maybe he has still not come all the way back, but I didn't see anything that suggested he's a future big leaguer.

I definitely didn't see a guy who is going to get selected in the rule 5 draft.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I went back and watched several starts of McGough, and I couldn't for the life of me see why anyone would think he needs to be considered for a protection. He's a 89-90 MPH left-hander with inconsistent below average secondaries. I didn't see him before the injury so maybe he has still not come all the way back, but I didn't see anything that suggested he's a future big leaguer.

I definitely didn't see a guy who is going to get selected in the rule 5 draft.

Perfect example of other source's homerism. I assumed you'd write something like this, but had hoped that there was more to his profile that said he'd have a chance.

Tony- thanks for these great write ups. Very detailed- showing all of the time and work that you have put in. As someone who is not able to see the minor leaguers very often, it is a great resource.  Much better than anything else out there. 

Makes me very excited about the future of the O’s - as long as they can keep Elias and eventually pay some of these guys that frequently get discussed (Rutschman, Henderson, Rodriguez)

• Upvote 3