2023 #7 Prospect Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF

Tony-OH

16 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Nobody's suggesting it. I'm pointing out that they absolutely must project more power from his bat. There's no other possibility. 

I think they expect he will drive the ball more, but not necessarily more power. I don't think anyone expects him have Mullins like power. But he should be just as good a defender with even more speed.

• Upvote 1

The potential combination of 80 speed, extremely good strike zone judgment and a very low swinging strike rate give me hope that he'll be able to maintain a high OBP at higher levels even if he remains a slap hitter.  The pitchers can pound the strike zone all they want, but if Bradfield is able to make contact at a high level, he'll get a lot of long at bats that eventually turn into walks, as well as a lot of groundballs and bunts that he can beat out.   Brett Butler indeed.  

52 minutes ago, mddisney said:

This guy is tailor made for the rule changes.  If he gets to MLB and can hit we have a disruptor period

I'm actually not a fan of these types, I think they hit less than desired at the big league level so their eye needs to be amazing.  In my mind, there's too many Estuary Ruiz/Jorge Mateo/IKF/Billy Hamilton types in this group.

Now I'm hoping for more from Bradfield, but not expecting it.

Just now, MarCakes21 said:

I'm actually not a fan of these types, I think they hit less than desired at the big league level so their eye needs to be amazing.  In my mind, there's too many Estuary Ruiz/Jorge Mateo/IKF/Billy Hamilton types in this group.

At a minimum, he’s much more selective than Mateo.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I see Juan Pierre as a good ceiling comp for Bradfield's skill set even if he doesn't develop any power. I'd be happy with .300/.700 with a ton of SB if he can hold down CF for a long time. Al Bumbry if he can develop a bit of power.

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I see Juan Pierre as a good ceiling comp for Bradfield's skill set even if he doesn't develop any power. I'd be happy with .300/.700 with a ton of SB if he can hold down CF for a long time. Al Bumbry if he can develop a bit of power.

A much much better defensive version of Pierre is my comp for EBJ. To me, if he is only Juan Pierre, he’s still a very good and valuable player but I will disappointed if that is EBJ’d ceiling. 

"I spoke to an Orioles official at a game this spring and asked if they really had a "type" or just kept taking the same sort of guy -- power first, with athleticism, ideally at an up-the-middle position, and a player whom the team can train on pitch selection and contact skills. The official denied it and then asked if there was a player that was the opposite of that type. My response was Enrique Bradfield Jr., who I told him they'd never consider with their first pick. "See?" he said. "We don't have a type -- because we're still scouting him." I kind of laughed at that idea. Of course, they drafted Bradfield with their first pick Sunday"

"I don't think the Orioles were ever against taking low-powered hitters or pitchers, as they've maintained the whole time and have now proved. But it's also true that the O's are at a new stage of team building, and their decision-makers have responded to it by drafting differently."

Kiley McDaniel ESPN-on favorite draft classes

On 11/25/2023 at 10:28 AM, G54377 said:

I envision him as the starting CF and #9 hitter which is fine, having him as a threat to be on base ahead of Gunnar/Adley/etc. is exciting. 

Not to quibble too much, but having a speedster on ahead of high OBP guys like Gunnar/Adley may not be the best lineup combo. Bradfield gets to first and steals second, then next guy up walks. More enticing is to steal second and then score on a hit from Holliday; or they walk Holliday and you have two men on for Gunnar/Adley and they have to pitch to them... or face Mayo/Basallo. :)

2 minutes ago, now said:

Not to quibble too much, but having a speedster on ahead of high OBP guys like Gunnar/Adley may not be the best lineup combo. Bradfield gets to first and steals second, then next guy up walks. More enticing is to steal second and then score on a hit from Holliday; or they walk Holliday and you have two men on for Gunnar/Adley and they have to pitch to them... or face Mayo/Basallo. :)

Then the other of Gunnar/Adley is up with two guys on.

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Then the other of Gunnar/Adley is up with two guys on.

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing; it just kind of undercuts the value of the stolen base, compared to getting into scoring position for a higher batting average guy like Holliday. Optimum would be Bradfield 9 Holliday 1, or Bradfield 1 Holliday 2. Then bring on the rest of murderer's row. :)